Paging CALIFORNIA guys

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like I will be moving to San Jose in the next few weeks. I'm wondering if there are any Vipers w/o cats. Or is there any other solution than stock that would pass the inspection in CA. I know that for the first few months I'll be driving there with NY plates.

Also I'm planing to drive from NY to CA...I think that it will be fun! :2tu:

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to Silicon Valley.

Call Valaya Automotive (408) 448-8811. They are very very familiar with your situation.

P.S. California gives you a ridiculously short amount of time to register your car (7 working days if I recall). I suggest you go online (www.dmv.ca.gov) and make an appointment at the local Motor Vehicles. Set the date out far enough to give you some time to get settled. Print out the appointment and carry it around in the car, That should avoid any hassles.

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at it and I'll have 20 days to register the car. But how would they know how long I have been in CA. I still have a residence in NY.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But how would they know how long I have been in CA
They won't. Just keep your NY driver's license until you do get the car registered. If you do get stopped you can always make up a story that you're here on some temporary job and that you go back to NY every few weeks.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in ca, but the car is registered at another address in Chicago. That way you get to mod the car anyway you like. Fee's here are outlandish compared to chicago. If you get pulled over and they ask about the plates, just tell the cops that you trailer your car around the country visiting different tracks, and that your staying right now at your brothers house or something.
Oh Yea, get a valentine 1.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You are gonna be a reasonable distance from Laguna Seca, and ThunderHill, and Infineon, (aka Sears Point) Lucky bastige!

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So should I bother installing cats?

If you wanna pass the smog test you'll need cats. You won't pass the sniffer test without them. After you pass the test you'll be good for 2 years until the next test. Ted May can set you up. How long do you plan on staying in the PRK?

Technically speaking, you're right, you have 20 days to register after bringing the car into the state. You can take your chances and keep driving on the NY plates. If you get stopped and tagged it'll be a fix-it ticket. Then you'll have to install Cats, pass a smog test and go to the DMV to get it registered. Any business at DMV, make sure you make an appointment otherwise you're looking at standing in line for a long time.

You have to apply for a CA Driver License within 10 days of establishing residency. The operative word is residency.

Read 12505 CVC and see if there are any loopholes for you.

Residency

12505. (a) For purposes of this division only and notwithstanding Section 516, residency shall be determined as a person's state of domicile. "State of domicile" means the state where a person has his or her true, fixed, and permanent home and principal residence and to which he or she has manifested the intention of returning whenever he or she is absent.

Prima facie evidence of residency for driver's licensing purposes includes, but is not limited to, the following:

(1) Address where registered to vote.

(2) Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.

(3) Filing a homeowner's property tax exemption.

(4) Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

(b) The presumption of residency in this state may be rebutted by satisfactory evidence that the licensee's primary residence is in another state.

(c) Any person entitled to an exemption under Section 12502, 12503, or 12504 may operate a motor vehicle in this state for not to exceed 10 days from the date he or she establishes residence in this state, except that he or she shall obtain a license from the department upon becoming a resident before being employed for compensation by another for the purpose of driving a motor vehicle on the highways.

Go HERE for the most confusing reading you'll ever experience.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get pulled over & they ask you anything, all you need to know is one thing:

They only know what you tell them. If you are properly registered & licensed in another state, you are legal.

You become illegal once you start confessing.

How's some bone head going to know whether or not you have "established residency" in CA? I'd be willing to bet he couldn't tell you what that means, exactly. Hell, I just read the definition & I can't tell you what it means.

Never offer unsolicted information to an agent of the guvment, or any other red tape org for that matter. All they need to know is what their little computer tells them.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my friends moved to CA from Florida, he drove arround with Florida plates and registration for 6 years.

The reason he stopped was because he bought another car. Every time he got pulled over he would tell the cop he was a part time student in CA. And kept the car here for transportaion while here.

But lived in Florida most of the time.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to California. I recently purchased a 96 RT/10.

I spent the morning having Ted May at Ayala work on my car. He is extremely knowledgeable. I think you are required to have smog equipment on the car while on the streets in California. There are some "high flow" catalytic converters that should work.

Back in the days that I had a 77 Porsche, we used to take off the heat exchangers, and run straight pipes, but I believe that is considered to be against the law.

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So even with NY plates they can ticket me for smog?

No they can't ticket you for SMOG if you have an out of state plate..But they can give you a hard time and give you a ticket with a timeline to get your tags switched to CA.

When I was transferred here from Canada I drove around with my Quebec plates for over a year . You just need to make sure you have a solid story if they pull you over.

If you don't want to get Cali tags I'd just say that your here temporarily (Couple of Months) on a consulting contract.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are pulled over in California the police will presume you are a resident unless you can prove otherwise. It will really be up to the officer if he decides to press the issue.
The attitudes have changed here over the past years, and due to the financial status of the State the police are motivated to raise a huge sum of money to justify their equally huge expense to the State.
Lots of people drive unregistered cars here, and many people get caught every month. Even a parking ticket can trip you up.
Neighboring states have an easier time, but NY plates will stick out like a sore thumb.
If you are going to become a resident here, you will probably wish to register.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeez, some of you guys make Cali sound awful. You're not trying to hog all this wonderful weather for yourselves, are you?

El Diablo,
Fit some high flow cats and register the car. You'll pass the visual, you'll pass the sniffer. You won't have to worry about what sort of lie to give The Man. You'll also appreciate the cleaner air while enjoying some of the terrific Valley views.

In and around Silicon Valley we have some really neat roads, a bunch of car guys and associated car guy events. And yes, if road racing is your thing, you will be well within one day event striking distance of Thunderhill, Infineon and Laguna Seca (you'll need mufllers), maybe even Buttonwillow (depending where you actually settle). Or, Infineon and Sacramento if drag racing is your thing.

California is a great place to be a motorhead.

P.S. Look up Tomer or I when you get here and we'll treat you to lunch at Alice's.