Pistons

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if I can change the cast pistons on my 2000 to forged or stronger aftermarket ones. If that is possible then where from please. Thanx

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's certainly possible, though expensive to do right. What are you planning to do which requires stronger pistons?

OP
OP
V

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben,

Thanx for the quick reply. I am still not sure which route to go with my car, NA, Nos, or supercharged. But I really want to change these pistons which seem to be the weak link in the engine. You said its possible to switch them, any companies you know of?? thanx

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go the N/A route, you either (1) won't need to get the pistons replaced, or (2) will buy a package which comes with pistons anyway, obviating the need for proactive replacement. For NOS, the cast pistons seem to stand up just fine to a small shot as long as it's properly tuned, so you'd only really want to replace if you start getting aggressive with the jetting. For S/C, you will be OK with the more conservative systems (DLM Level I, or Roe's stage 1) and if you go DLM level II Doug'll end up replacing your pistons anyway. I'd strongly recommend waiting until and IF you actually go a route which requires forged pistons before doing so.

That said, if you simply must have forged pistons, LPE, APEX, DLM, Cragin, Heffner, Valaya and numerous others all have operators standing by to swap you in a set, and maybe port your heads and replace your cam while they're at it...

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I uderstand.The weak point of the motor is oiling.Oil flow,oil pick-up,oil pressure, etc.Mains starving and throwing a rod.That of course is not a problem for a 10 second wonder motor. Bruce

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Venolia.

They are fine pistons and maybe not quite as trick as some Ross designs, however, they are substantially cheaper.

But the really nice thing is that Venolia will make you a single piston if you happen to burn one. Of course, they charge a 50% markup on a single piston order.

Ross on the other hand, requires you to buy a minimum of 4 pistons at a time.

So with Ross, you usually order 1 or 2 spares.