Plate holder

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve, could you just put the front plate on the dash? Maybe rig something so it doesn't go flying around the car. Anything to keep from drilling the fascia!

Good luck.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have friends "on the job" and they advised against putting the plate in the windshield. Seems that this way they can issue you 2 summonses. One for not having it on and one for improper display.
My solution is a PBA card in the windshield but it does not always work with the meter maids.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about heavy duty velcro? Stick one side on the fascia and the other on the plate. I'm going to try and rig up some aluminum strapping, bend it just right, stick the tape under two portions of the fascia (so it won't be seen) to hold the brackets, then do the same velcro thing to the plate mounting faces.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just purchased the front license plate holder for my 96'GTS. Does Dodge really expect us to drill into our front valance? Has anyone out there used straps of some sort effectively without marking up the paint? I know the simple solution is not to put it on but I must as I rent the vehicle. Pictures would be great!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone on here has come up with brackets coming from the under side of the facia. Hopefully he sees this post because I believe it was posted on the old board.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Frank, let me know how the velcro works. Has anyone fabricated a "holder" that comes out from the valance? Something that you could bolt to the frame (or anything) that could be bent so that it could stick out far enough through the valance to hold the plate?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please excuse my foot in the photo, but it's the only close up I have of my plate holder! Don't think this will be a lot of use to you because aren't your front plates different in size? We just have to display the numbers / letters, some get away with sticking vinyl letters straight onto the fascia. You actually have to buy the whole plate huh? This is what Chrysler UK fit, it's black plastic (and is ugly, I must at least have it blue / white painted!) I'm told it fits a Toyota MR2. There are also holes drilled in the underside of my fascia, where L-shape brackets were once fitted too. You will see the plastic holder has a notch cut out for around the badge, and is curve shaped to fit snug around the nose. Maybe look at what other supercars have for front plate holders, to use / adapt one of theirs?
You must be registered for see images

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey steve,Someone posted a cool laminated copy of his plate and then easily formed it using velcro to the bottom valence.I think he colored it to match the car it looked awesome.Its basically for that 1/100 jealous joe!Let's go to Da Grove one night,Try to get that 436rwhp into the 11's.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait for the pic's. I have another guy who's going to send me photos of a bracket that mounts to the radiator. Won't even touch the valance. Keep 'em coming. Toofast.... We'll have to pick a weekend and pull that 11.99.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's keep this going. There are a couple of friends in NY that are tired of being pulled over.

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1"x1/8" Aluminum bar
4 Riv-Nuts
4 Bolts
3/4" Weatherstripping

(everything available at Home Depot)

Only weatherstrip touches fascia, and NO HOLES DRILLED IN CAR!!!

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The license plate is clamped against the center upright of the fascia. It clamps on fairly tight. It has a slight "nose down" attitude because the center upright in the fascia has this same attitude (at least on the Gen-1 fascia).

I have never had it on for more than a few days of driving at a time, so I don't know if it would loosen up from the weather stripping relaxing or whatever. For me, easy on...easy off was most important.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from Home Depot with everything. I see you have it on a gen I car. I'll be mounting it on a 96' GTS. I wonder if has the same dimensions? maybe not. Either way, It's worth a shot for under $5.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done. Looks real good. It was very easy to do too. Here's the instructions for those of you who have the GTS (It's a little different than the Gen I cars)

1) Cut each 14" long
2) Using a vise, bend 1" tips on either side (area where plate will bolt onto)
3) First bend is at the 5" mark from the bend in the tip or 6"inches from the end.
4) Second bend is at the 9" mark from the same end or 3" from the first bend.

The entire thing should look like the letter "G".

_
/ ] 1"
5" /
/ (I should have been an engineer..lol)
I
3" I______] 1"
4"

Place additional weatherstip on the bottom of the plate, this will "hold up" the plate from nosediving. Also, double up on the weatherstriping on the entire surface as this will tighten it up. Good luck.......

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out Steve. We need to mount them on 1996 GTSs also.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to my great picture? o,well. here goes again. Hopefully everyone gets the picture. Don't look at the astericks
*******/]
*****/
****/
***[
***[____]

Again, 1" front tips. The largest slant is 5", the next 3" and the bottom is 4". Sorry, no digital camera yet.....

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Nadine....love that shot of your tootsies!!!!
I have heard alot about you on this board. I now have seen the
toes...how about the rest of you. Could you/would you grace the board and make my day and post your picture. I promise not to drool....!!!

Fast Eddie
cool.gif
cool.gif

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody that posts on this board sells a front plate bracket that uses the existing screw holes in the front fascia. Its made of anodized aluminum and it doesnt require any drilling. Cant remember who though. Dove???

BW

NJVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee Dove has the perfect license plate bracket holder...no holes to put in your viper.
His bracket uses existing plastic body pins under the nose openeing.
No damage whatsoever to your viper.
Check out Lee's telephone number or website listed below.
888-825-0156 Visit website http://skytrends.mystarband.net
He is a very nice guy to speak to also...very friendly and knowledgeable!!!

Tim

P.S. - Yes, I did buy a license plate bracket holder from him too.

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also check the search feature. ruckdr in Seattle has one that he made out of rubber that looks interesting.

BoB W

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the link out above for the motorized version.
That would be sweet.....

Get pulled over for no plate, officer Bob walks up to the car, hit switch before he gets up to the car but after he is by the front, "What do you mean no front plate officer, I obey all useless local variances".
smile.gif

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to the GREAT idea with suction cups, I could built my own license plate holder for the BIG German license plates... ;)

20P3261674small-med.jpg

20P3261675small-med.jpg

20P3261676small-med.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21