Poll: Daily Driver yes or no...

Is (one of) your Viper(s) a daily driver?

• I have an RT/10 daily driver

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I have a GTS daily driver

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I do not drive (any of) my RT/10(s) daily

Votes: 56 32.2%
  • I do not drive (any of) my GTS(s) daily

Votes: 85 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These days I'm looking for work, so up and down I-87. Come look at my odometer!

Dave, there is this stuff called R-134a....

slaughterj, we can grandfather you. I just figured that newer Gen 3 and 4 cars should be better sealed and refined, so would be in a different "class" regarding ability to be a DD.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think more RTs are daily drivers because we are just cooler people in general :) I think if you did a survey of cars that were put on the track, then the answer would swing towards the GTS.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if i wanted to drive it as a DD i cant as my work requires me to have a large truck with a Rack on top for hauling heavy loads.. not all of us just push pens at work.;)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughterj, we can grandfather you. I just figured that newer Gen 3 and 4 cars should be better sealed and refined, so would be in a different "class" regarding ability to be a DD.

Thanks! I put down DD an RT/10! :drive:

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTS and yes its my daily driver. I took delivery of it in May and have been dailying it ever since (8000 miles so far). Its been great! comfortable, well dampened, trunk with enough space for random stuff, gorceries (yes it goes to get milk), and i can squeeze three leather duffel bags in the trunk even with the stereo equipment...more than enough for road trips.
I've gotten nothing but positive responses from anyone i've come in contact with (i've practically given all the people i work with rides), and its been totally reliable and more fun/grin factor than anything i've owned before. I struggle to find something impractical about it...the gas milage is decent (same as a big SUV, but with the upside of hige performance), the AC works great, yes it only has two seats but thats obvious and doesnt bother me one bit...why would i want more than two seats? i dont know anyone who doesnt have there own car. the windshied wipers work good, the heater works great, its even got a rear window defroster...yes i'm thinking about winter driving it...lol

I love my GTS and i'm driving the hell out of it...rock chips are just battle scars, to me there a badge of honor. (plus you can always repaint)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...the AC works great...

And in what region do you live?

Oh yeah, Tom... In addition to months on end of 100+ degree Summer temps, when there's that rain in the forecast... There's an understanding with the weatherman here that it includes a chance of SOFTBALL SIZED HAIL. It does not just break windshields and dent body panels. It goes THROUGH them.

So add to your list that avoiding the risk of having your car mutilated by a hail storm is not an acceptable excuse for not being a DD.

This is so simple isn't it? If you live where Tom does and drive like he does, then you're qualified! :bounce:

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, Dave, Dave. The AC compressor that Dodge selected wasn't downsized for the two person cockpit, so the output should be more than enough. You've vented your sills and have high flow, low heat rejection catalysts, so the interior is subject to less thermal intrusion than my stocker. You have large white, light reflective stripes in the roof. You have a garage, so the starting temperature is influenced by being in the shade. You have nice white vents for the engine compartment. The only thing I can think of is that maybe your average vehicle speed is too slow and the heat exchangers can't compensate. I suggest increasing from X MPH to XX MPH and report back how that works out.

As far as the hail, that sounds like miniature asteroids and I've been told by a reliable source that the odds of getting hit by one are small.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss this thread.

:eater:

I think we should add parking arrangements to the list of qualifications. You know, if you don't drive your car every day but it is always parked outside, then I think that should be a free pass as a DD.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine's a DD because it's everything I ever wanted in a car. I drive it to work, lunch, work-outs, grocery store, and errands and the smile never leaves my face.

A/C ***** when it's 110+ but that's what roll down windows are for.

I've been without my Viper for 2 weeks now and can't stand it. These rental cars are getting old but the final results will be well worth the wait. (How's that for a teaser?)

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine started didn't start out as a daily driver but has slowly become one. It only stays home when it is raining. Fortunately that is not that often out here. The longest period of not driving it, was when I went on a three week business trip to Maylasia.
I just put 3000 miles on it on a road trip to Denver and back.
Since I bought the car in March of 07, I have put 32K miles on it..... that's a bunch for any car, but more so for a Viper.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what it means yet, but RTs (what Tom drives) is the most highly voted DD and GTSs (what Dave drives) are voted most as not being a DD.

>I just put 3000 miles on it on a road trip to Denver and back.
Since I bought the car in March of 07, I have put 32K miles on it..... that's a bunch for any car, but more so for a Viper.<

Rule 14(b) says 500 miles can be exchanged for a rain date. Kind of like carbon trading.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is quite clearly a conspiracy plot by the Tombama administration. Soon, we'll be issued passes for driving in "good" weather based on our activity in "bad" weather.

Please join me tonight in :tx: as the Red Warriors unite and organize El Resistance! :beer:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put DD for my GTS. Closest Cellphone service is 200mi away, but that's the car I installed my Bluetooth stereo into (oh, another one into the Stealth TT). BT came stock in the wife's pu and my portable nav fits in all my cars. Aug 07 my 'new' 01 had 20,000mi. Now it's got 47,500mi. My GTS and I have been cross-continent three ways. 3 carshows and a VCA weekend this year so far. Shopping trip to partsrack (15 hrs each way) a few weeks ago.

Bought my Stealth TT in 06 and put 60,000miles on it as well (by Jan 09) so I just bought another from JonB (with 61,000mi.) to wearout and upgrade. Stealth TT has AWS and AWD so it makes an excellent winter supercar! I do find that a minimium 500hp is needed for the Stealth however.

Ted

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:confused: Dave, why are you running scared? :omg:

I'm obviously in the minority with my car color, car type, and driving habits. :drive:

Just trying to promote conspicuous mileage consumption. :2tu:

Don't you worry about anything. :usa:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think with the Viper I have noticed some people are afraid of the car in the rain and don't know how to handle it.

Driving in all conditions, avoiding a spinout and driving through a spinout are techniques that could be learned at the track, as well as when to brake and why.

Might be part of why it limits DD status for some people.

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think with the Viper I have noticed some people are afraid of the car in the rain and don't know how to handle it.

Driving in all conditions, avoiding a spinout and driving through a spinout are techniques that could be learned at the track, as well as when to brake and why.

ooo.... Dave.... ouch.... :poke:

now the Mods, too. :1up:

You'll have to start "compensating."

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not driving my Viper in the rain has nothing at all to do with handling or worries about crashing, etc. There was an excellent anology posted on here when I first joined the VCA about owning a fine piece of art and driving a Viper in the rain. I'll be happy to post it if anyone is curious. ;)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Touché boys and girls! :lmao:

And like I'm skeered to drive my car in the rain due to incompetence. Oh my God is that dumb! :rolaugh:

Time for Dave to start another poll I see... :headbang:

You must be registered for see images

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been driving my Viper as a DD for the last month, at least to/from work. It's a nice 30 mile commute all highway with about a 5 mile stretch of 'private' highway that seems abandoned and open only for me at times. :D I've been driving it in rain, bumper-bumper traffic, 110% humidity, etc. I love it as a D.D. EXCEPT for the bumper-bumper traffic. I'd take driving in a monsoon over traffic any day. The traffic just takes all of the fun out of it. Here in CT, drivers will not move over from the left lane. They camp in it. More often than not, they'll slow down but not move when they see me coming. Unfortunately, most of the ride is on a two lane highway and during rush hour there's literally no room to pass. The one way I'm able to offset this frustration is by dropping to 2nd and punching it while going through a tunnel. With my exhaust, it sounds like armageddon and I SOOOOOOOOO enjoy seeing these campers spill their coffee when they get a blast of my exhaust through their open windows. :D It's the little things in life. ;)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(How's that for a teaser?)

Great teaser except for the all of us with Facebook who already know your secret :D

This is quite clearly a conspiracy plot by the Tombama administration.

Please join me tonight in :tx: as the Red Warriors unite and organize El Resistance! :beer:

"Tombama"...I almost broke a rib laughing at that one :lmao:

You'll have to start "compensating."

I dunno, I don't think Dave will trade in his RED Viper for a yellow one :rolaugh: Someone HAS to have a copy of that old VW commercial. I've looked all over the Internet and can't find it. If you have it, please post it. You'll forever be my hero.

You must be registered for see images

Pretty impressive. Does Dave get DD credit for driving his in the rain AND supplying us with photo proof?

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, even among Viper owners, there are some pansies. Hard to imagine, but true.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once I get the GTS, planning on it being my DD from may to october.

Nick

Another category. The part-time DD. I blame Tom. All of his threads end up getting way too technical :D I think to qualify as a part-time DD, you have to drive at least 100 miles per week and supply us with pics of your car parked near the shopping cart holder in a grocery store parking lot and at least one (1) pic of the car after it's been snowed on with the snow at least two (2) inches deep on the hood. Meeting these requirements will earn you the november-april DD break you have requested.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who's car is this? I see red hood vents.

I have a set of red hood vents and a set of white hood vents. I can change them at my leisure if I wanted to. The pic I took in the rain was before I bought the second set and had them sprayed with strip matching Hyundai white. I have many pics of my car with the red ones still in. And rear exhaust. And factory brakes. Factory wheels...

PS - I get even more DD credit with the Hyundai white hood vents don't I? I mean, isn't a Hyundai a DD kinda car/color?

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know.... you drove it in the rain when it was "newer" and now you don't... have to think about that. It is a nice rain, though. Hyundai. This is smelling more like DD.

But the banter is keeping the voting going. May get to 200 after all.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to show you that I am not afraid to drive mine in the rain either, I just prefer not to do that to my car....
Did you know those windshield wiper things actually work!:D

P1100216.JPG

This was a pretty nasty storm front between Laramie and Ft Collins. I really felt sorry the bikers huddled on the side of the road, standing in ankle deep water with a sweat shirts pulled over the heads!

OP
OP
T

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the outdoorsy pictures showing up this is becoming a one-upsmanship effort. So here's mine.

And it didn't shrink or melt. I know Dave will say "that's not hail, that's just a dusting here in Texas!"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21