Power steering pump cap fix?

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This story is good!
I was leaving the V-10 nationals Sunday, I was there with my GTS as a spectator, not a racer. I was getting in the car when a family came up and
started asking all kinds of questions including "can we see the engine".

I happily opened the hood.......my car is a box stock garage queen.......nothing special. I noticed an oiley liquid dripped on the right valve cover, upon closer inspection I discovered that the power steering pump cap was off, but still in the compartment wedged against the exaust manifold!!

Yikes, can you say FIRE... That was lucky. Glad I opened the hood for those kids.

I seem to remember that the caps do fly off for no reason.......anyone else have theirs come off??
Is there a fix for it?
Thanks,

Ted

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine come off several times.
Got a new one under warranty.
Stays there now for >2years.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use that hipo piece as well. Wonderfully simple fix to this problem.

This will take care of it for you.

Reaction score
Installed that two days ago. :)
bet you had the chrome version :2tu:

does it look like it will work OK ?

Yeah...though I was somewhat perplexed and surprised that the inner part of the cap (with the stem assembly) is/was detachable from the inside of the cap itself. Not sure if it SUPPOSED to be that way...I forgot to call Tom to check. I put it back together and then assembled the fittings. It looks like ti will perform as advertised should the need arise.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure the cap is supposed to come apart like that.

I checked mine over the summer, no dip stick. I sucked the fluid out and the inner stem was at the base of the pump housing. I purchased a replacement.

I am looking at this HIPO tube. If it keeps your cap from turning, how do you twist the cap on? Or do you install the tube after the cap is tight? If this is the case, how do you remove the cap?

Reaction score
I am not sure the cap is supposed to come apart like that.

I checked mine over the summer, no dip stick. I sucked the fluid out and the inner stem was at the base of the pump housing. I purchased a replacement.

I am looking at this HIPO tube. If it keeps your cap from turning, how do you twist the cap on? Or do you install the tube after the cap is tight? If this is the case, how do you remove the cap?

Hmmm, looks like I better orer another cap I guess. I thought it was odd when it came apart in my hands! LOL!!!! You basically assemble everything with the cap on. Seems to me it makes it a big deal if/when you want to take the cap OFF.....but I figured that once you have everything topped off and the cap in place, there really is no need to take it off (well, at least for us POSERS!!!!). :) Aside from that, I figure you can take one clamp off, slide the fitting out of the rubber boot, rotate it out of the way, then take the cap off.

OP
OP
D

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drilled a small hole in the top vent ****** area of the cap, ran stainless steel saftey wire thru the hole, then used aircraft wire twisting pliers to fasten it to the metal power steering pipe that runs next to the pump. Its not comming off again!

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This has been a problem for some time. First always make sure the cap is tight, check to see if the gasket is missing from the bottom of the cap. Make sure the power steering system is not overfilled. We vent the cap into a dump tank and put a heat shield between the pump and exhaust manifold to reduce chances of boiling the fluid. On track cars we run a bigger power steering cooler and use a synthetic fluid with a higher boiling point.

Hope this helps.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, I make the HiPo Engineering Vent tube. I'm not out to quit my day job so I just priced this to get my money back when I created it. $19.95. It uses the highest quality parts available, Viton rubber, Stainless clamps, chrome or nickel plating and even a high quality releasable zip strip!

Don't just tighten with a wrench and break cap ($35 to replace), you'll forget some day and lose it. Don't rig up something you'll be shamed to show people when you open your hood. My Viper's too sweet to have ugly wires, hoses and worm drive clamps all over it.

Buy what works, ends the worries, and looks OEM.
www.hipoengineering.com

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, I make the HiPo Engineering Vent tube. I'm not out to quit my day job so I just priced this to get my money back when I created it. $19.95. It uses the highest quality parts available, Viton rubber, Stainless clamps, chrome or nickel plating and even a high quality releasable zip strip!

Don't just tighten with a wrench and break cap ($35 to replace), you'll forget some day and lose it. Don't rig up something you'll be shamed to show people when you open your hood. My Viper's too sweet to have ugly wires, hoses and worm drive clamps all over it.

Buy what works, ends the worries, and looks OEM.
www.hipoengineering.com
Got mine from HIPO...no problems in 6 months and it looks good!! Cheap remedy for a potentially expensive problem. Buy one!! :2tu:

MOUNTAINWOLF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Checked mine... it's on there tight. When or why is this cap apt to come off ? Is my weekend driver at risk, or is this more for you track guys ?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Searching the board for fire or smoke will show you it happens all over the place. One member drove his car from the dealership and fire. I pulled over 100 responses. I wouldn't risk it, for $20.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For you Michigan VCA members, the product is featured in the VCA Motor City Vipers Owners (MCVO) newsletter.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed the HipoEngineering kit last weekend. It really is a good quality, well constructed piece. Don't let the lack of viper tax fool you into thinking it is not. Craig is also a nice guy to deal with.

I see no reason that it won't take care of the cap coming loose problem. I also like the idea that if the cap does vent, the oil is redirected down and away and it even spruces up the engine compartment a little. For $20 you simply can't beat it.

--- Ken

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ordered one off Craig too, he's posted it without even having the money off me yet as well :2tu: like Tators great service

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather