Purchasing 04 SRT - Couple Qs...

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally took out a red 04 SRT today and have to say I was pretty impressed with it. I owned an 01 RT/10 that I loved and thought I would go back to the gen 2 when I was ready again for a viper, but having checked out the gen 3 I think its really the better car. Much tighter everything and brakes are literally night and day difference. Are their any major differences between years in the drop tops? I know the 04s are said to come with a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty. Do other years have this warranty offer?

The car I looked at today was actually at a chevy dealership. We began to talk about price which turned out almost being comical. Classic used car discussion and tactics, complete with "What do I have to do to get you in this car today?!" It felt like I was purchasing a malibu and not a limited exotic. Price started out with a FIRM 57, then magically went to 55, then when I was walking out the door it dropped to 50 flat. Car is in nice shape, with 10+K miles. From the way the economy is looking and current prices on SRTs I think theirs more room. Any thoughts?

The dealer just took it in last week and seems to have no idea on the market value of the car or seems to know but hopes that a potential buyer doesnt. I flat out told him I know the market is in the gutter and hes way high. Thats when price went to 50k.

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$50K sounds reasonable when buying from a dealer. The 7/70 warranty can only be transferred to the second owner, so make sure it's a one owner car.

PHATASP97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats a good price, I bought mine for a little more than that with some extras on it including rims. I have heard though that you might be able to get them down into the 40's due to the 08's coming out and its winter time which is a good time for you to buy a vert not the dealer.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try to get them down to $48k. If not, settle for $50k if the car is truly in the condition you described. Also, check to see if the build date was after 01/30/04. If prior, make sure that the cam bolt TSB was addressed.

P.S. - Not all '04's had the 7/70 powertrain warranty.

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it's only had one owner, then the 7/70 warr. will transfer to you. On the '03's it's tranferable to any number of owners. then as said above went to the 3/36 for '05. I talked to dodge headquarters multiple times confirming this info...

OP
OP
M

MarkRx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question..Which I know is a sensitive area for some, but I feel I have to ask it anyways...

Does your car ever get mistaken for a vette?

The only reason I ask is as I was walking out of the dealership 3 people were admiring the car and two guys were arguing about whether this was the new vette or a viper. Just kind of curious if this is a common occurence that I should expect or not.

For what its worth...One time a family followed me into a gas station and asked if my RT/10 was a mazda. ***?

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Another question..Which I know is a sensitive area for some, but I feel I have to ask it anyways...

Does your car ever get mistaken for a vette?

The only reason I ask is as I was walking out of the dealership 3 people were admiring the car and two guys were arguing about whether this was the new vette or a viper. Just kind of curious if this is a common occurence that I should expect or not.

For what its worth...One time a family followed me into a gas station and asked if my RT/10 was a mazda. ***?

Never had any of those issues/problems. The funniest thing about Vettes is when I'm driving along side of one on the freeway, the driver never looks to the side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery