Rat under the hood!!

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously,

My Huskey (Sheba) got really frisky with the Viper last night. Her nose and face was black from burroughing into the fender wells. I knew she was after something, she chases everything from bear to lizards. I couldn't get her away from the car. I've seen her do this in the past to a showroom condition 86' Z-28...to the point of jumping on the hood, she got a beating for that one. I obviously didn't want her jumping on the hood of the Viper so I opened the hood and started the motor. She was VERY interested in everything going on. I let the motor run for about 5 minutes but she never took off after anything. I turned the car off and grabed a flashlight to look into the nooks and cranies of the engine compartment...nothing.

Sheba started sniffing around my daughter's (really mine) car parked just outside the car port. She got REALLY excited again. I knew she was on to something. I started this car up and let it run....nothing.. I got out and walked into the carport..looking back Sheba is freaking on the right side of the car and WHAM...rat runs out the left side and under my wife's (mine) Montana van..Now Sheba is REALLY interested in the van.

Enough of that, I realized my engine compartment is fairly dirty. It's cold here in Atlanta now and I'd like to do the quick down and dirty cleaning. I don't remember doing this in the past on the Viper engine. Can I just soak it down with wesely's bleach white and hose off..or something like I use on my Harleys..S100 and wash off. Do I need to cover anything up? I'm not into the detailing thing.

Thanks for the help..I'm not a show car guy just gotta get the rat s**t outta there. kidding Sheba wouldn't have let that thing stay in there for more than a couple hours or she'd eatten through the hood.

Todd

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can clean the engine compartment, I just did mine last Th

http://forums.viperclub.org/sneaky-petes-place/620760-what-did-you-do-turkey-day.html

Regarding the rat-you probably know they don't like moth balls or 'bounce' dryer sheets. they also don't like anything citrus, sometimes after I was my engine I spray it with a citrus oil in a few select spots.

If you store your car you could also stuff the intake and exhaust with a sock so nothing can get in there, then leave yourself a note to remove the socks before starting up the car:lmao:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI we used to use oranges ,grapefruits etc to attract rats to the bait we were using(pest control)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get a handle on that,they love to chew wire looms,if u have any dog food or feed of any kind,get rid of it,big attraction.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a few months ago i was riding my girl's car (about 50mph) and a big rat just popped up on the front of the hood (i assume he came out through the grill) and slid up towards the drivers side and bounced off my side mirror. My window was down and i was flipping out thinking it was going to fall in my lap :omg:

i pulled over and checked under the hood to see if he had any friends to exterminate but couldnt find any.

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't store the Viper..not a lot of snow here. It's an every (other than bad weather) day driver. I've got a brook running about 30 yards off the back of my house and God brings everything down it. We've used the moth balls in the attic for squirrels..didn't work, traps worked and the vermin were relocated to my office sancturary. I don't think Sheba could get sucked into the intake of the Viper..Thanks

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOTE..while I was typing that several responded...WE DON'T HAVE A RAT PROBLEM..the're just cold and don't want Sheba eatting them..I'd surely like to poison them, but I'm affraid I'd 2nd dairy poison Sheba..

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOTE..while I was typing that several responded...WE DON'T HAVE A RAT PROBLEM..the're just cold and don't want Sheba eatting them..I'd surely like to poison them, but I'm affraid I'd 2nd dairy poison Sheba..

yeah, imho, calling them field mice sounds so much better :lmao:

you know cute v. gross :dunno:

a nice .22 revolver and some cci shot shells turns them into winter sport :headbang:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a detail guy I can loan you :D He'll even share stories of when he was a 12 year old fireman pulling dead bodies out of buildings :lmao: (inside joke for those wondering what I'm smoking)

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard of people looking under their hoods and using many words to describe their motor but have never heard of it being called a rat.:D:D

You could at least go with a bigger rodent so as to not insult your V10.:lmao:

Robert

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to get a pet cat. Our cat loves to hunt. This year alone: One large rat, two sqirrels, two birds and many lizards - all bloodless. He snaps their necks. He leaves them for us as a gift for his "family".

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your problem is quite common. earlier this year, another member found this little guy pooping all over his car.

new_mouse.JPG

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to get a pet cat. Our cat loves to hunt. This year alone: One large rat, two sqirrels, two birds and many lizards - all bloodless. He snaps their necks. He leaves them for us as a gift for his "family".

I once had a stray cat that lived in our woods. I made the mistake of feeding her and every day I'd find various inards from rabbits, squirrels, mice, etc. all over my deck. Solved the field mouse problem but created another. :) The problem solved itself one day when a coyote chewed her in half.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I once had a stray cat that lived in our woods. I made the mistake of feeding her and every day I'd find various inards from rabbits, squirrels, mice, etc. all over my deck. Solved the field mouse problem but created another. :) The problem solved itself one day when a coyote chewed her in half.

:omg: ahhh the ol' coyote chewed my feral cat in half so no more inards from rabbits, squirrels, mice, etc. all over my deck trick.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your problem is quite common. earlier this year, another member found this little guy pooping all over his car.

new_mouse.JPG

Thats priceless, nice job!:2tu: Your avaerage vette owner in his natural state!:omg:

:rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh: :rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh::rolaugh:

OK. I am sorry. I should not have said that!:rolleyes:

He is cute though with that hat on!!

Robert

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put steel wool in the exhaust. When I forget them they just blow out. I have two classic cars and the viper. take the sunvisors and turn them towards the inside of the car and flap down. Mice like to make nests there and they chew up the headliner.

As for your dog we got invaded with mice last year. There were two many of them so I went to poisen and my dog ate all of it. Took her to the vet and she said that it would only be dangerous if she ate another 4 boxes as it doesn't take much to poisen the mice. She had blue crap for three days. When I was younger on the farm my dad got mad at my dog that ate a whole box of rat poisen. He didn't even get sick. He was about 80 pounds. My dog is about 60 pounds. It makes a difference the size of the dog.
the poisen worked.

OP
OP

02ViperTodd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well..hosed down the engine compartment with Whesley's Bleach White...Does a GREAT job!...Now a few days later...SHEBA WANTS UNDER THE HOOD AGAIN!!. I don't know what to do about this. Sheba's bed is the garage where the Viper sits. She's gonna freak all night unless she gets it...Dang..I don't know what I'll wake up to...
rambleing...

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I set a rat trap under the car in the garage,one in the attic and one in the pantry. I use a whole non salted peanut with shell. Put a slice in the peanut husk and slide it onto the triangular bait hook. Will catch mouse,rat,squirrel,chipmunk etc. They cannot resist pulling on that peanut. You only need a handful of peanuts because it works soo well they are reusable. If you varnish a trap before use they will last a lifetime even if used out doors. Please do not leave where birds will be enticed. GTS Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960