rear end noise with sharp turns?

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear end clicking audibly from outside the car when turning? I would also check the torque on the Hub Nut. Not sure what it is supposed to be, I looked it up through search one time and found it but don't remember it.

I've had similar noise from another IRS car I own. It ended up being the hub nut on my car not being torqued to spec. Not sure on the Viper but my other car required around 240 ft/lbs torque.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had similar noise from another IRS car I own. It ended up being the hub nut on my car not being torqued to spec. Not sure on the Viper but my other car required around 240 ft/lbs torque.

That would be 250 ft/lbs. on Gen 3's.

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update....as I mentioned the diff in my '08 was replaced because of the noise and when I first drove the car the noise and clunking were still there. However, I've driven it around for about 30 miles over the past few days and when I backed out of the garage this morning, there was only a very slight noise (whereas before it was always an embarrassing spectacle). Hopefully, even that small noise will go away soon.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed my '09 making noise when I make a 180 deg. turn at full lock. Sounded more like a groan that got progressively louder and ended with a soft clunk. Had 18" slicks on at the time. Put my stock tires on and it stopped. Weird.

Me too exaclty, except without slicks. Took it to the dealership and took the Viper tech for a ride and said, "Oh that. that's normal".

BlueVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
09 with 7000 miles. Clicking noise when turning that got progressively worse over the last couple of months. Changed Diff fluid and added modifier. No more noise.

OP
OP
gofastr

gofastr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing the diff fluid worked for a while for me but the problem reappeared. Dodge replaced the entire rear end under warranty. Problem solved.