Sears Diehard Platinum

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i changed my battery this weekend to a Sears Diehard Platinum, and when i go to put it in, it doesn't fit too well because of the top posts on it. I had to tilt it forward a tad to get the bottom to push back far enough for the clamp. Also, the right side is hanging past the tray a tiny bit. Will this be a problem at all? Should i take the battery back?

-Jay

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thought that they started making that without the top terminals recently...could be wrong, but you might recheck...and/or check the Sears website.

If that fails, go to a Die-Hard Gold 78 or 75 Series. While our Gen I & II Vipers came with MOPAR 78 Series, I have found some problems fitting 78 series Die-Hard's back into the same tray , so I now use only 75 series without any problems in these models.

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's in there now and seems pretty secure. I just hope it doesn't cause any problems not being flat on the tray. Maybe i should just take it back so i don't have to worry about it.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got the wrong die hard. There is one that has side ports only (die hard gold) for your Viper. Dont have one in there that does not fit 100 percent correct. I had nothing but problems with 2 different die hards in my old GTS but had great luck with the duralast from Auto Zone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea i know the Gold fits, but this is the model for the Platinum that is supposed to be for our cars. I guess i'll just take it back.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a Diehard Platinum with side posts and it slid right in like it was suppose to and it sits on top of a battery mat. Take it back, you've got the wrong battery.

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called them and they said it's the only platinum model is listed for the Viper. I'm just gonna exchange it for the Gold.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
OSUbrew, just left Sears...NO side-terminal-only batteries in the Platinum Series (sorry for the false lead)

The group 78 Die-Hard Gold should be fine (unless you have a 1996 RT/10...where some of the trays were "pinched" on size. If in doubt, go group 75...noting that I have had no troubles with the 75 series...a couple of which lasted 8 years in our Vipers...using Deltramn tenders.

Good hunting !!

P.S. the group 34 Platinum makes a great battery for Gen III's and IV's...correct size, plenty of CCA, long duty life, great warranty, and non-leaking!!! (heavier than stock, and not cheap) :)

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, i have a 97 B/W GTS. I wish the battery was a bit easier to access, lol, i just put it all back together. Oh well. :)

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Die-Hards and Deltrans have certainly decreased my visits to the left rear wheelwell area !!!

You going to Dayton in March??

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys know anything about the Sears battery (gel - Optima type)that is about $200? I talked to someone at Sears last summer and he told me they had such a battery. I don't know the dimensions or amps.I had thought about an Optima until I read all the posts saying that they didn't hold up well in Vipers. Now I'm in the market for a battery, but I'm not in a rush. The advantage Sears has for me over another Chrysler battery or most other brands is the fact they are everywhere and open seven days a week. That's still no guarantee they will have the battery you need if yours goes south, but I think you have a much better shot.

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys know anything about the Sears battery (gel - Optima type)that is about $200? I talked to someone at Sears last summer and he told me they had such a battery. I don't know the dimensions or amps.I had thought about an Optima until I read all the posts saying that they didn't hold up well in Vipers. Now I'm in the market for a battery, but I'm not in a rush. The advantage Sears has for me over another Chrysler battery or most other brands is the fact they are everywhere and open seven days a week. That's still no guarantee they will have the battery you need if yours goes south, but I think you have a much better shot.

That's the one we're talking about that doesn't seem to fit right. The Platinum is the Gel and it's $200ish. The gold is about $100.

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the Die-Hards and Deltrans have certainly decreased my visits to the left rear wheelwell area !!!

You going to Dayton in March??

I doubt i will this year. I got a few things going on in March already non car related, lol. =/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960