SHE LIVES!!! Thanks VCA members!!

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With new "Quick Fire" O2 sensors from DC Performance, new wires from AB, new Champion spark plugs, DEI heat-wrap on the headers, collectors, and O2 sensor wiring, and a fresh, memory-dumped PCM, I fired the Viper back up yesterday evening. She came to life instantly, and after coaxing her to warm up a little quicker-than-usual, let her idle for a good 10 minutes while I picked up trash, gathered my tools, and cleaned up the area. No check engine lights, no more misfiring, no issues!

I was a little concerned on Monday when I briefly fired the engine and noticed a misfire even with the new plugs and wires. Turns out I left a plug-wire disconnected at the coil! I caught it during a final inspection yesterday.

I put about 30 miles on it yesterday evening, and plan on doing some driving today just to make sure she's going to run for me.

Special thanks to Dave, Tony, and Chuck for their advice and support, as well as all the other members who contributed to my "Calling Viper Wizards!" thread.

Now I'll be notifyin the PA region guys that I definitely WILL be attending the Covered Bridge Tour this weekend!

Thanks again.

Jeff

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, when you get her broken in, I recommend taking her to the dyno and doing a few pulls so you know what your air-fuel ratio is and see if it needs some tweaking. Glad to hear it's running well.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes Bozo :+: can even be helpful eh?

On the technical side though, one of my relatively new QFires has started throwing the preheat code again - 0135. I'm in the process of taking notes on how many times I start the car etc including was the car cold warm or hot etc, but my initial looksie is saying every 4 starts no matter if cold warm or hot.

Dunno if the sensor has gone bad or what, but it was flawless until just this week. Once I have some more data I'm going to give Dan at DC a call for his opinion.

The good news is, the preheat CELs are just an annoyance. But still an annoyance.

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the preheat CEL's I was getting would cause the mixture to richen, and the MSD wires couldn't keep up. But even before the MSD's, when I'd get that code I'd get a misfire/pop and such when idling. I still think she's a little on the rich side (I can smell the cats under heavy accel) and I still get a pop when I blip the throttle. I'm hoping it'll continue to adjust as it continues to "learn."

Dyno run would be nice, but how would I adjust the ratio without reprogramming the PCM? I can't imagine that's very simple (and certainly not "cheap.") Any serious mods or continued upgrades is going to have to wait - as of right now, I join the unemployment ranks in early June.

Jeff

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Of course we would be remiss if somebody didn't suggest popping for a VCA membership and officially joining the "family" here. Not too pricey, it comes with LOTS of other benefits, including access to the Illustrated Upgrades which you really might enjoy as well. We will get those guys to hit you up on the covered bridge tour this weekend... :2tu:

Again, glad to see you got your ride on the road!

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes Bozo :+: can even be helpful eh?

On the technical side though, one of my relatively new QFires has started throwing the preheat code again - 0135. I'm in the process of taking notes on how many times I start the car etc including was the car cold warm or hot etc, but my initial looksie is saying every 4 starts no matter if cold warm or hot.

Dunno if the sensor has gone bad or what, but it was flawless until just this week. Once I have some more data I'm going to give Dan at DC a call for his opinion.

The good news is, the preheat CELs are just an annoyance. But still an annoyance.
I've had those same codes ever since having the Bellanger headers on. No performance deterioration that I can tell, just annoying.

OP
OP
J

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Of course we would be remiss if somebody didn't suggest popping for a VCA membership and officially joining the "family" here. Not too pricey, it comes with LOTS of other benefits, including access to the Illustrated Upgrades which you really might enjoy as well. We will get those guys to hit you up on the covered bridge tour this weekend... :2tu:

Again, glad to see you got your ride on the road!

Eventually I will - I promise. I'm even planning on a VENOM membership. However, as of this writing, I am preparing to become unemployed in early June. If I land a new assignment before then, I'll be fine. If not, well, obviously, a penny saved is a penny earned!

Thanks again. She's ready for the trip to PA today!