Should I walk?

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happened to me once and I ended up not buying the car. This clown would not take a certified check, treasury check, he wouldn't even go down to the bank with me to get a check. He was a foreigner and was just completely convinced that no matter what, I could somehow cancel the check after I had the car. He wanted me to give him the check, go home for a week and wait for it to clear and then come back down to pick up the car. Yeah, ok. I passed and thankfully got a much better car.

Funny thing is, like in your situation, about 3 days later he called me back and was suddenly much more cooperative. My guess is that he had another buying and scared him away as well. I just laughed at him and told him to read up on the laws of his new country...

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW... I can't believe some of these responses.

How many people want Cashier Checks... Let me fire up the Laser Printer with the MICR cartridge. ALL of these can be forged. You can get certified funds made out to his bank. Then get a cashiers check from his bank and hand it to him, he knows those funds are good.

Nothing spends like cash. But a large cash deposit will notify the Feds. Cash is no good for this. He could say he never got paid... no paper trail.

Too many tire kickers in the Viper world. I wouldn't allow test drives either.

Bank transfer is a very good way. Take the keys, and title, and a bill of sale, wire the money, once confirmed come and get the car. He can't dispute that he did not recieve the money and it would show from you to him.

I don't blame the seller.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Food for thought: I NEVER purchase a car from a private individual for some of the same reasons outlined above...and others.

I PERSONALLY prefer a direct link from the dealer-seller (no brokers for ME) to the manufacturer for ALL THE HELP that I can get should the occasional problem arise during ownership. This approach has served us well over the years through a variety of vehicles. Noting there are those who feel they get a better "deal" (read that "lower price") from an individual, I can only say that to ME it's REALLY about VALUE, NOT initial cash outlay...ESPECIALLY when buying a Ferrari, Porsche, Viper, and etc....just MY opinion. There are SOME GREAT VIPER DEALERS out there, who offer a HIGH VALUE car at VERY FAIR PRICES, and who will later "go to bat for you" should there be aproblem ( "priceless")...feel free to contact any Club officer for advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc