Slow Leak In Tire advice please ...

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'06 with Michelin ZP's. Right rear, near brand freakin' new (just replaced less than a couple thousand ago).

I cannot find anything (like a nail) and have scoured it. No rim issue created either.

Do I have to find a good "Run Flat Equip" place? ... and even then, better I watch them to make sure they do not damage the rim?

Tons of Goodyear places around me ... as well as Tire Kingdom places ... neither overwhelm me with confidence.

Thanks for the time all.
Ron

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd first check the valve stem to be sure that it's not the source of the leak. Soapy water over the top of the valve stem (cap off) will tell you. If it bubbles, it's leakin', if not, take her in .....

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, thanks ... that was my next move. I think I shot ahead because I do not know a good place where I am located (for run-flat work) ... and the person who did the tire change is so reliable.

But I have to check anyway. Thanks again. I will see.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could have a nail in there with the head chopped off so it would be very hard to see. Its most likely a nail.

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found it ... a tiny puncture in the very middle of the tire (that strip of solid rubber material that rings the very middle of the tire).

Should I have someone PLUG IT?

Or ...

It is brand new ... and a very minute puncture. Can see nothing still in it.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As long as you don't track your car with this tire on it, you should be OK with a plug / patch combo or just a patch if the hole / split is small enough.

You should find out what caused the split. If it's a nail, oh well. If it's a defect in the tire, get another one.

Dan

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to tell what caused though upon quick exam (the one I did when I found it) appeared to be "something" that did it, vs a defect. I will see.

Thanks for good advice and input all.

One tire guy (sounded very competent) said cannot patch because have to take back off the rim and will ruin the sidewall. Said plug was only way to fix ... and that even that it may lose a pound or two of pressure per month. But he said he would do that ... vs hoping for any luck from Michelin backing it ... or Tire Rack (where it came from).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
....One tire guy (sounded very competent) said cannot patch because have to take back off the rim and will ruin the sidewall. Said plug was only way to fix ... and that even that it may lose a pound or two of pressure per month. But he said he would do that ... vs hoping for any luck from Michelin backing it ... or Tire Rack (where it came from).

I would NOT simply plug that tire if my life depended on it........and it does. They do make patch-plugs where the inner patch has a nub-like plug, thats the best.

TireRack offers a ROAD HAZARD warranty at time of sale that WOULD replace the tire, but it is expensive.

This is a good time to go to PS2s..........

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but i would plug that tire all-day-long. Unless i was always driving 100+ like on a track daily. Plug the tire for 5 bucks and be done. I would not patch it because you do have a chance of scratching the rim, etc.
I'm no tire expert by any means but i have plugged 2 or 3 of my high performance tires with no problems, but like i said thats what i would do.

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HUGE diff in opinions guys. I appreciate it. Let me add a couple things.

I NEVER launch the car (but do sometimes "hit it fairly hard", and therefore chirp it a bit going into 2nd, etc).

I NEVER drive it on a track (but do sometimes go over 100 MPH, sometimes a fair bit over that). Typical is in-town driving ... up to about 85 MPH. Some highway, mostly cruising about 80 with occasional 100.

It IS a tiny hole and I JUST replaced them (so TERRIBLE time for me to throw $1000+ in the garbage and replace 2 near brand new tires because of this).

Did NOT buy the road-hazard warranty from Tire Rack ... so that too, is a throw away for me.

I do NOT want to risk my life ... but would a plug that needs only to fill a hole about the diameter of a paperclip truly risk it? I am asking seriously (for seriously qualified answer). No offense to any / all, but $5 vs $2000 is a fair bit.

Sharp-sounding tire guy said nothing about scratching the rim ... he said it will ruin the sidewall to take it off the rim and then remount it back on again.

Would that tiny hole not even endanger me ... even if the plug were compromised? It is a slow leak now.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
f you plug the tire the hole will have to be bored out alittle. so in other words the tiny hole will have to be alittle bigger to put the plug in.
Scratching the rim will not always happen but sometimes you may get a careless person changing out the tire, (happened to me at a dodge dealer in Atlanta).

I have plugged tires before and have burned them down to nothing and the plugs have held fine, they were not viper tires but corvette and Trans Am tires.

Good luck

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not advocating what I am about to say here. Plugging tires is a matter of choice and I would never race a tire that was plugged. But to run on a highway at normal speed limits I have never had a problem. I have plugged my rear tires 3 times so far and have put over 5000 miles on the plugs. It is important to use a pluging kit that uses a gun to install mushroom head style plugs. i bought my plug kit at NAPA. The part number used to be 710-1637 and it cost me $75.00. Just make sure the kit has a gun in it and not the Tee handle type tooll. The best money i ever spent.

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tire Rack sent me this:

The Tire Rack
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628
O: 888 981 3953 ext. 290
O: 574 287 2345 ext. 290
F: 574 236 7707
[email protected]

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

Hello Ronald,
I am very sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your Michelin tire. The good news, these do have road hazard coverage and can be replaced. The bad news is that I am completely out of stock. Michelin hasn't given us any sort of ETA either. You can have the tire replaced locally if you can find one. It is a Michelin warranty, not Tire Rack, so any authorized Michelin dealer can help you with this swap. I hope this helps!
Have a wonderful day,

Thanks for your order,
Lynne ext 290

The Tire Rack Customer Service
7101 Vorden Parkway
South Bend, IN 46628
(800) 428-8355
(574) 287-2316 Extension 360

** This letter implies any Michelin dealer will replace it without cost ... but all are saying NO.

Last edited:

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are several speed shops in the Columbus area ( I once used Jegs) and they know how to get them off without damaging the rims, I think there used to be a good tire company at the Brice Road exit, .....I would get a patch inside, and then I would get all the tires changed over to nitrogen in the tires, IF you still have a very small leak, many times nitrogen is a larger molecule product and will not leak as easily as regular air... and nitrogen stays at a more constant pressure even with faster driving and higher summer temperatures....just my $.02

OP
OP
I

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a small piece of the bottom of a key (a broken off car key).

Is it paranoid to think that is an odd thing to stick into your tire? It was not sharp at all (as one would expect it not to be).

Just found it peculiar.