Soliciting Opinions..When to buy

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well here we go, there is a post on this forum for a 1997 GTS with 4500 miles @ $42,500. Sounds like this could be the car for one of you! Great year, 708 cam and forged pistons for you nitrous lovers. Now one of you needs to check it out.

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would jump on that car if it had racing stripes, I want factory racing stripes, also I prefer the 18inch Viper wheel, I know I can buy them , but that will cost me at least 3k with tires, would rather spend that money on performance mods. Also is it me or is the red on the earlier models different?, I'm looking at at red silver striped 2000, and the color and finish looks better.

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agh, I ran out of time here, I'll have to chime in later today.
Go with a GTS, they're faster. :D

1Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Premier Sports Cars has some mint cars if you want to get something now. They will work with you on the pricing. Most of their cars are very low mileage cars and they have great financing if you need that. Merry Carmichael is who I used over there.

If you want it now get it. So what if you say $2000 you'll spend it on something else anyways.;)

I'm sure you'll have a blast driving it around now in Florida:drive:

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Premier Sports Cars has some mint cars if you want to get something now. They will work with you on the pricing. Most of their cars are very low mileage cars and they have great financing if you need that. Merry Carmichael is who I used over there.

If you want it now get it. So what if you say $2000 you'll spend it on something else anyways.;)

Thanks, I'll look through their site I dont even need financing I have over 40k to spend, you think paying cash would make the process quicker and easier. I just got off the phone with BJ motors, I was calling on a 2000 20k mile GTS black/black/silver stripe, they are asking 49,999, their cost is mid 30's, retail is 41k on excellent condition, the mileage is a little on the high side but not that bad(my cut off is 20k miles) I get on the phone with this joker and tell him which car I was interested in, he goes right off into the typical dealer pitch, that he's had 5 calls on that car today alone, I rolled my eyes, the way the market is right now he'll be lucky to get that in a week, i kind of laughed to myself, to start negotiations I told him I'd be willing to spend 40k, his responce was "not from me you wont", conversation ended right there, these people dont even want to deal, needless to say he was rude, no sports cars are flying out of dealerships at this point, Ive seen prices lowered 3-5k on some cars just this week, others who havent lowered have been sitting for 2 months, I'm eager to get my car in the next couple of weeks, but I am not paying top dollar in a buyers market right now, and I am buying the car I want, Needless to say BJ motors will not be getting any of my money, now or ever. The search continues

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just checked out Premier, they are on the high side also but heir cars are very low mileage, From what I am seeing all the real fancy named expensive building dealers charge more, than say a regular dodge dealer, I'm probably going to end up going private, I really wanted to be able to buy a warranty from a dealer, I'll just make sure if I go private, I have the car checked out by a good dodge dealer, who sells and fixes Vipers.

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look through their site I dont even need financing I have over 40k to spend, you think paying cash would make the process quicker and easier. I just got off the phone with BJ motors, I was calling on a 2000 20k mile GTS black/black/silver stripe, they are asking 49,999, their cost is mid 30's, retail is 41k on excellent condition, the mileage is a little on the high side but not that bad(my cut off is 20k miles) I get on the phone with this joker and tell him which car I was interested in, he goes right off into the typical dealer pitch, that he's had 5 calls on that car today alone, I rolled my eyes, the way the market is right now he'll be lucky to get that in a week, i kind of laughed to myself, to start negotiations I told him I'd be willing to spend 40k, his responce was "not from me you wont", conversation ended right there, these people dont even want to deal, needless to say he was rude, no sports cars are flying out of dealerships at this point, Ive seen prices lowered 3-5k on some cars just this week, others who havent lowered have been sitting for 2 months, I'm eager to get my car in the next couple of weeks, but I am not paying top dollar in a buyers market right now, and I am buying the car I want, Needless to say BJ motors will not be getting any of my money, now or ever. The search continues

You'll have to be real lucky to land a 2000 gts for 40k. I don't blame the dealer for not entertaining that offer; these cars really aren't depreciating much, so the dealer can afford to sit on the car for a while. He probably expects to get 45k, I had a dealer turn down 45k for a 2001 rt-10 with similar milage.

BLWNGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry. I always prefer to buy from a private party. You save so much on the deal and you won't have to worry about some screwy dealer trying to hose you in the back!!

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll have to be real lucky to land a 2000 gts for 40k. I don't blame the dealer for not entertaining that offer; these cars really aren't depreciating much, so the dealer can afford to sit on the car for a while. He probably expects to get 45k, I had a dealer turn down 45k for a 2001 rt-10 with similar milage.

That was my opening bid, its called dealing, also check out what these dealers are paying for these cars off the auction blocks, mid 30's, its not luck, its called not rolling over and giving the dealer his 10-12k commission,they are there to take as much of your hard earned money as they can, also somebody(pretty sure it was the guy I talked to), just e-mailed me from that place saying to call him, "he'd like to know more about my expierience", is somebody tryng to get snooty with me? no thanks,(that takes allot of balls) took the week off looking to buy a car(please dont pester me again cause you are obviously reading this instead of selling cars), sounds like somebody had to much time on their hands. I'm going tommorow to a dealer near my house who has the same car same year, same condition 19k on the odo, asking 45,000 seen pictures online, and the car looks solid, we'll see , Dont roll over for these guys, I dont care what kind of car it it , cars always depreciate, if you look in the kelly blue book cars values change depending on what area you live in, the kelly blue book is not the all and all end of pricing but it does give you a ballpark figure, of what the car is worth.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Premier will deal. I got them to shave off 5K with minimal effort when I bought from them....and the car was mint with only 900 miles. I would recommend them highly.

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sorry. I always prefer to buy from a private party. You save so much on the deal and you won't have to worry about some screwy dealer trying to hose you in the back!!

THANK YOU!!!! I'm looking at a couple of more dealers tommorow, then going privite, just came across a mint 2000 GTS 14k on the odo Red/black/silver stripe private owned 43k, I just left message, its out of state, but I'll do a carfax, after I talk with the owner, of the car. I love having a new car, but god do I hate looking for it.

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Premier will deal. I got them to shave off 5K with minimal effort when I bought from them....and the car was mint with only 900 miles. I would recommend them highly.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check their stock again,I'm getting numb from all this searching!, I still cant believe the guy from BJ had the nerve to e-mail me, and it wasnt an I'm sorry kind of thing, it was smartass. By the way , I love your plate, that is awesome!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1999 and earlier have forged internals if ya wanna do some modding and / or nitrous. the cast pistons are not as good on the 2000 and later models....

OP
OP
R

RT10viperfan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DANG Dave!! I finally opened up the pic you posted!! Do you know Dexter Jackson? I work with his sister-in-law. I'll send you a PM on a site you'd like.

It is exhausting looking and trying to make a good decision. You've probably seen Richard's Auto here in Jacksonville. Funny I went there Saturday evening to look at their lot. All of the Vipers were tucked away in the garage area will there was a row of Corvettes in front. That says a lot doesn't it?

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TrainerDave,

One more tip... I bought my Viper off of ebay. When I found the first car, I did a carfax and it came up fine. Then I hired a local Private Investigator to do a background check on the guy. He had forged documents and a felony on this criminal record. Needless to say I didn't do that deal.

The next Viper, the carfax was also clean and the background check was clean. The deal went smoothly and I am very happy!

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my opening bid, its called dealing, also check out what these dealers are paying for these cars off the auction blocks, mid 30's, its not luck, its called not rolling over and giving the dealer his 10-12k commission,they are there to take as much of your hard earned money as they can, also somebody(pretty sure it was the guy I talked to), just e-mailed me from that place saying to call him, "he'd like to know more about my expierience", is somebody tryng to get snooty with me? no thanks,(that takes allot of balls) took the week off looking to buy a car(please dont pester me again cause you are obviously reading this instead of selling cars), sounds like somebody had to much time on their hands. I'm going tommorow to a dealer near my house who has the same car same year, same condition 19k on the odo, asking 45,000 seen pictures online, and the car looks solid, we'll see , Dont roll over for these guys, I dont care what kind of car it it , cars always depreciate, if you look in the kelly blue book cars values change depending on what area you live in, the kelly blue book is not the all and all end of pricing but it does give you a ballpark figure, of what the car is worth.

I don't disagree, just saying that you're inital offer was a tad to low. As for depreciation, there's very little on gen 2s, and gen 1's are arguably appreciating.

Kelly blue book is crap in respect to vipers--milage isn't considered correctly. A 50k mile viper has the same kbb value as a 5k mile viper, that's messed up? there should be about a 10k difference in value there!

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TrainerDave,

One more tip... I bought my Viper off of ebay. When I found the first car, I did a carfax and it came up fine. Then I hired a local Private Investigator to do a background check on the guy. He had forged documents and a felony on this criminal record. Needless to say I didn't do that deal.

The next Viper, the carfax was also clean and the background check was clean. The deal went smoothly and I am very happy!

Thank you for the tip,I never even thought of that, everything helps I really appreciate it, you can do background checks online, for a small fee, I own some property that I rent out, and I run checks all the time. Good god all this for a car, makes me just want to bite the bullet and finance a new car, I have never bought a used sports car, but at the same time I have never not had a payment on my sports car, and I dont want one for a while, what a pain in the ass, it will be worth it in the end(which I hope comes very soon)

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DANG Dave!! I finally opened up the pic you posted!! Do you know Dexter Jackson? I work with his sister-in-law. I'll send you a PM on a site you'd like.

It is exhausting looking and trying to make a good decision. You've probably seen Richard's Auto here in Jacksonville. Funny I went there Saturday evening to look at their lot. All of the Vipers were tucked away in the garage area will there was a row of Corvettes in front. That says a lot doesn't it?

I dont know him personally but I met him a few times, he was actually guest poser at a show I competed in last year, he was pretty tired and you could tell he wasnt in a good mood, so I didnt bother him, I felt like an idiot in the pump room pumping up seeing this dude, who's arm's looked bigger than my legs sitting in the back :crazy2: also I havent seen Richard auto's, do they have a website?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I highly recommend you hook up with some of the Illinois VCA members before you buy. I say this only because you should get some first hand experience with the, lets say quirks or oddities of the Viper before you buy. I personally don't know of any one, but I can bet there's one here who has non biased factual info. that could help you. Giving yourself a one week span to buy a specialty car like the Viper is really a short period of time. I've bought two of these cars used, and I spent months looking for the right car.

It would also be in your best interest to find a recommended "Viper Tech", as I'm sorry to say many are not sharp. If Nitrous is on your check list, make sure the car is a 1999 or older car. The so called "creampuff cars 2000-2002" are not the best choice for forced induction or nitrous. Conversely I've shown they can make serious horsepower naturally aspiarted. Regardless of that whole endlessly debated issue, find a car you love and get it checked out properly. Time is on the buyers side.

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is really harder than I thought! (Yeah I know everyone should have such problems)

I got my Viper in the Spring of this year. Looking for a Viper is not the same as buying a Vette or other sport cars. They are a very limited production car, so trying to buy one in the next week or two might turn into months especially if you are picky.
Waiting for the winter months might be cheaper but 1)can you drive it when it is snowing or raining? 2)would the seller let you drive it in less than ideal weather conditions, "Snake bite" comes in mind 3)less cars usually are for sale, so less to choose from, low inventory might actually increase the price 4)paying for insurance/car payments while the car sits in your garage, 5)Gen II cars are in a class of their own.
Do your research, when the right one comes along, buy it! :drive:

V

Venomiss

Just in case you didn't read this before-it is a thread devoted to newbies and response to dealerships from all over. Good to look through and listen to other viper owners on information on buying and servicing. It has four pages but is worth the read.
We have had great luck with Bill Pemberton from Woodhouse-on our third Viper from them and they have one of the largest Viper pits around. Many members from the KC club are happy with their used/new Viper from there.

Camfab said it earlier that getting together with the local Viper club is a good idea-better to know the history of a car you purchase than be sorry later. They can probably tell you of a good Viper tech to pay to look over a possible car that you decide on-worth every penny. Good luck in your search!

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603158&highlight=Dealerships

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think TrainerDave should spend his 40K on more steroids and stop calling around wasting folks time, and then turnaround and bash them on this site for selling their cars for what they are worth. Most folks who are serious about buying a Viper already have one in their garage.

TrainerDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think TrainerDave should spend his 40K on more steroids and stop calling around wasting folks time, and then turnaround and bash them on this site for selling their cars for what they are worth. Most folks who are serious about buying a Viper already have one in their garage.

That statement was very rude and ignorent, as are you sir, I'll post the pic's my car when I get it. You are wasteing my time having to read your garbage or should I call it jealousy , just because I probably look 100 times beter than you(you told me that with your steriod comment), doesnt mean you have to hate on me, you are the typical computer troll, talk big when hiding behind a computer, in person if you were to say that in most gyms, you probably wouldnt be leaving in your car , but in an ambulance, but I'm sure you'll just hide behind a computer being the coward you are), you accuused me of doing drugs on an open forum that has my picture? that is slander,are you that dumb? I work very hard to stay in shape and have never used a steroid in my life, so clueless people like you really irritate me, Ive bashed noone here , and have got alot of good tips from the memebers here, you however..... no I dont even want to stoop to your level, Ive just reported your ass, accusing somebody of doing drugs on a public forum is a big no no. Maybe you should work out more maybe you would feel better about yourself. Better yet post a picture of yourself, I'm sure the board would get a good laugh , what a pathetic person you are.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That statement was very rude and ignorent, as are you sir, I'll post the pic's my car when I get it. You are wasteing my time having to read your garbage or should I call it jealousy , just because I probably look 100 times beter than you(you told me that with your steriod comment), doesnt mean you have to hate on me, you are the typical computer troll, talk big when hiding behind a computer, in person if you were to say that in most gyms, you probably wouldnt be leaving in your car , but in an ambulance, but I'm sure you'll just hide behind a computer being the coward you are), you accuused me of doing drugs on an open forum that has my picture? that is slander,are you that dumb? I work very hard to stay in shape and have never used a steroid in my life, so clueless people like you really irritate me, Ive bashed noone here , and have got alot of good tips from the memebers here, you however..... no I dont even want to stoop to your level, Ive just reported your ass, accusing somebody of doing drugs on a public forum is a big no no. Maybe you should work out more maybe you would feel better about yourself. Better yet post a picture of yourself, I'm sure the board would get a good laugh , what a pathetic person you are.

Rage?:omg: :dunno: :omg:

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could say a lot more but wont and as I look at your posts and comments through this entire thread I am :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:. Why you were compelled to post a second pic of yourself just cracks me up. Get serious and buy a Viper........and then and only then will I care about what you have to say about them, dealers of them, and to me for that matter. For now your just a lookie-loo wasting folks time and a hot head to boot who wishes he had one IMOP.

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's it! I love talking about Vipers and I don't care if you have one or not. So I am on Trainers side on this one.

And I don't take steroids either... (here's my picture):

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery