SRT Engineer Chat HERE on January 16th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Nader:
  • I just finished reading the ACR article in the most recent Viper Magazine. In the article it summarizes the ACR suspension mods. In particular it mentions, "The more aggressive ACR suspension setup requires increased roll stiffness up front, so a new stiffer front stabilizer bar is included." Since I have very similar mods namely lighter wheels and non runflats, Moton adjustable suspension, and stoptech rotors would you recommend the same thicker stabilizer bar? I do track the car 2-3 times a year. The car handles extremely well but not sure i should be running a thicker bar in conjunction with my more aggressive suspension setup. Also, with the StopTech rotors do you have any pad recommendations for light track use but mostly street driving?
The ACR (and all Vipers) are tuned as a complete system. When we put all of the components together that make up the ACR (aero, springs, dampers, tires, wheels, brakes, etc) we found that the stiffer front anti-roll bar was needed to control the high amount grip resulting at the tire.

In your particular situation, it would be impossible to make a recommendation on the front anti-roll bar without knowing everything about your car and then driving to see how it handles. There is no magic speed in the front anti-roll bar stiffness. If you car handles well and you have no complaints of the amount of chassis roll or the handling balance at the limit, I would stick with what you have. All other things being equal, an increase in front anti-roll bar rate will usually lead to more understeer (push) through corners, although there are certainly exceptions to this rule. The solid front bar is also heavier.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
The front timing covers (that include the oil pump housing) for the 03-06 Vipers have been on backorder from the dealer for many months (with no expected new production date). Will these be available anytime in the future? Is this part available with the short block currently available?

We don't have service folks here but we'll pass that one along.

Will the clutch, transmission and differential for the 08 fit the 03-06 models?

There are some of thses types of packages in development.

I have numerous customers asking for the ACR package upgrade for their current 08 models. Will there be a package to convert non-ACR cars?

We do have some plans along these lines. Of course, if someone wants the look right now they should sign up for the car.......

I am very aware of the concerns with emissions and performance upgrades on the new models. Viper owners are known for wanting to increase the performance of their vehicles. With the current concerns, will Dodge be producing performance products (for track and street) that will allow us tuners to upgrade these cars for our customers? In the past products have been developed, but they have either been too late to the game or did not include an emissions certification (track only). This has prompted the aftermarket to jump in.

The Venom system with ETC doesn't give you very much flexibility. Now that the production car has been launched, we are looking a what we can do for the tuner. We can tell you now, however, that there is no opportunity to "mix and match" components. A given cal will only be good for a given stage kit.

How long will Dodge support the Gen 1-2 Models? It seems that most manufacturers support product for 10 years. Can we expect this from Dodge? Parts for the early models are getting thin (I can understand why). Do you think the hard parts will continue to be available for over 10 years?

Again, the right folks aren't in the room.

Viper has been a great journey for all of us, I hope all at SRT and the new Management will continue the passion.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
doctorbob: I would like to know the expected wear on the Pilot Cup tires of the ACR and wear if you put on stock PS2s. Obviously, you're just not going to be taking this car only to and from the track so I was interested on advice if you were to take the ACR on an extended trip.

The Treadwear Rating on the ACR is: 80
This compares to the Viper SRT-10’s: 220

As you will expect, tire wear is not an exact science and is completely dependent on driving style. The ACR PSC tires will wear quicker, but worth the performance advantage at a track.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
rcl4668: What pad would you recommend for the Stoptechs for someone who had to run one pad for both street and running 6-7 HPDE/track days per year?

The Viper SRT-10 and ACR share the same brake pad. We have found this brake pad to be an excellent compromise for both street and track use (the compound is very close to a mild racing specification already).
If you want to go more aggressive, the Competition Coupe teams use many different pads that seem to work well with the Viper braking system. PFC 97 is a medium aggressive race pad while Mintex F2R or Ferodo FCP1281R are aggressive race pads. All of these racing pads will improve the initial bite, but you will trade off rotor wear, brake squeal, and ease of street driving. Also be careful with brake temperatures. As you substitute more aggressive race pads, you also increase the heat transfer rate to the brake fluid. Competition Coupes come equipped with large brake cooling systems for this reason and all are filled with Motul racing brake fluid.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nader:
  • I just finished reading the ACR article in the most recent Viper Magazine. In the article it summarizes the ACR suspension mods. In particular it mentions, "The more aggressive ACR suspension setup requires increased roll stiffness up front, so a new stiffer front stabilizer bar is included." Since I have very similar mods namely lighter wheels and non runflats, Moton adjustable suspension, and stoptech rotors would you recommend the same thicker stabilizer bar? I do track the car 2-3 times a year. The car handles extremely well but not sure i should be running a thicker bar in conjunction with my more aggressive suspension setup. Also, with the StopTech rotors do you have any pad recommendations for light track use but mostly street driving?
The ACR (and all Vipers) are tuned as a complete system. When we put all of the components together that make up the ACR (aero, springs, dampers, tires, wheels, brakes, etc) we found that the stiffer front anti-roll bar was needed to control the high amount grip resulting at the tire.

In your particular situation, it would be impossible to make a recommendation on the front anti-roll bar without knowing everything about your car and then driving to see how it handles. There is no magic speed in the front anti-roll bar stiffness. If you car handles well and you have no complaints of the amount of chassis roll or the handling balance at the limit, I would stick with what you have. All other things being equal, an increase in front anti-roll bar rate will usually lead to more understeer (push) through corners, although there are certainly exceptions to this rule. The solid front bar is also heavier.

Answered above. Thanks.

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has Mopar set a time line for releasing performance parts for the 2008 (headers, etc.)? This is my first and last question - gotta run to the airport!

PS. GREAT job on the SRT4!! :D

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Reply for Bobpantax and Vipermann on engine/trans mounts:

'08 Viper engine mounts are increased durometer (harder) compared to the '06 engine mounts to handle the increased engine output. The '08 engine mounts will fit the '03 to '06 cars for those who want to upgrade. The harder engine mounts help resist engine roll which contributes to better shift precision. The Mopar 'Comp Coupe' type rear trans mount will also fit the '08 Viper.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if you saw these questions or just working on them...

When driving i get an some "creaking" from my top when it is up. It sounds like it is coming from overhead and where the top meets the windshield. If i pull on the driver side handle on the top it stops. Does it need to be adjusted or tightened? Or does it need to be lubricated and if so where and how. Are there any general maintenance procedures for the hardware on the top?
Why the move back to two independent throttle bodies?
Mopar is currently selling the 2008 hood. Questions: Does the intake inlet of the 08 hood line up with the 03-06 filter box? The 08 hood does not come with the vent covers from Mopar nor are they listed as a Mopar part. Are they sold seperately? How does one obtain the vent covers if they chose to change to an 08 hood?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Nader
Mopar is currently selling the 2008 hood. Questions: Does the intake inlet of the 08 hood line up with the 03-06 filter box? The 08 hood does not come with the vent covers from Mopar nor are they listed as a Mopar part. Are they sold seperately? How does one obtain the vent covers if they chose to change to an 08 hood?

The 2008 hood will fit on 03-06 Vipers but you need to trim the inner panel to look like the earlier hoods in the latch area at the front of the hood.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
black08: Obviously, thousands of hours were logged on the track during the development of the ACR. I was wondering if the SRT engineers could give us an idea of how much quicker the ACR was on the track versus the regular '08 model?

We have tested at many tracks and the results vary with them. At a 2.0 mile track (1:30 lap time range) with high speed corners where the aerodynamics can show off, the ACR is typically 3 seconds faster than the 2008 Viper SRT10 and 4.5 seconds faster than the 2006 Viper SRT10.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
JonB - PartRack: SRT Engineers, FBW Throttle Questions Please:
  • How quickly does "The Computer" allow WOT on the 2008 Fly-By-Wire throttle? My Charger Daytona only allows 75% of WOT in 1st when I try to go WOT, and that is meted out til 2000 RPM. How intrusive is the 2008 FBW WOT management? Do we get Full Throttle in 1st?
  • The VENOM allows WOT in all gears... there is no torque management.
  • How quickly does 2008 throttle go CLOSED-Idle? My Gen 1 went CLOSED/IDLE as soon as I lifted. GREAT on track. Gen 2 "lifts" in a 2-step ISM process, something about better emission burnoff. (I dont like this.) Since the 2008 apparently has no ISM, does it still need to "LIFT" more slowly? When I LIFT I want to go in 1 fast step to idle, please.
  • There is a bit of a thottle shut blend to maintain emissions and keep the cats alive under the lift foot conditions.
Thanks again SRT: "WHAT A COMPANY" !!! Jon Brobst

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nader

The 2008 hood will fit on 03-06 Vipers but you need to trim the inner panel to look like the earlier hoods in the latch area at the front of the hood.

Any comments on how to get the factory grills that cover the vents on the 08 hood?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The Viper Nation's collective voice needs to be heard." Respectful Email just sent to all three.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Question: How much slower is the '08 ACR than a non acr '08 as far as top speed and 1/4 mile times?

The ACR 0-60 times are identical to the 08 SRT-10.

In the 1/4 mile, the ACR is about 0.1-0.2 seconds slower than the SRT-10.

We just tested the top speed of the ACR at our Arizona Proving Grounds and reached a top speed of 177 mph.

Of course the reason for the top speed reduction is the drag trade-off due to the downforce improvements. Although the wing, splitter, and diveplanes are extremely efficient (increase downforce at around a 7:1 ratio to drag penalty), the top speed will suffer. Don't worry too much, if they can catch back up to you on the straight, they'll have no chance of staying with you through the corner.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
rcl4668
Q1: What are the exact weights for the 2008 Coupe versus the 2008 Convertible. Is there still a weight differential of about 30 lbs as on the 2006 model? (With the convertible actually being lighter.)

A1: Weight will vary from car to car but these are the official estimates
3,450 lbs. (1564.9 kg) Coupe
3,440 lbs. (1560.4 kg) Convertible
3,408 lbs. (1552 kg) ACR
3,366 lbs. (1533 kg) ACR ********* Package

Q2: An article in a recent car magazine stated that the wheel used on the 2008 Viper ACR is a Sidewinder wheel that has been improved over prior Sidewinder rims (like the one one used on the 2005 Copperhead limited edition convertible) using finite element analysis. Is this accurate or is the ACR rim essentially the same albeit with a black paint finish?

A2: It's more than just black paint. The ACR Sidewinder Wheels are further optimized for the ACR using the latest FEA techniques. The spoke sections have been updated for increased performance vs. weight

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I know EXACTLY what they are doing: Fighting over the Meat Lovers Pizza, and shunning the Veggie. (As they read and contemplate the questions of course!)

You are EXACTLY right there several Veggie pizzas going untouched.

But we ALSO have Hawaiian....

Pizza update: 9 of 24 veggie slices consumed. 40 of 48 non-veggie slices consumed.

KarenPeterson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

A non-technical question. I've ordered my '08 coupe and want to come to Connor to watch it "being born" - as any proud parent would do. Are the engineers at Connor, or do you live somewhere else - like HQ?

Karen

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For us tall guys (6'4"), is the headroom/legroom in the '08's identical to the 03-06 cars? I can't imagine it'd be any different unless the seats are different, but just wondering.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
graphite: Hi from Europe,
thanks for making the effort to answer our questions. all my questions refer to 2002 rt10.
  • Are there any 2002 Connoly champagne seats laying around the factory ? Spares are always nice to have.
  • What cam do you recommend for a 2002 v10 with headers and 1.7 roller rockers?
  • Does Dodge have a book available with recommended performance modifications for the v10?
  • Are there any front facias available for the 2002 rt10?
The Swiss VCA and the German Viperclub Deutscland eV thank you for your continuing interest in us, your fellow enthusiasts.
Andrew

mopar.com
Recommend the high-lift cam circa 96-99.
mopar.com
mopar.com

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Reply for Schulmann on '06 rear diff 'click':

A 'click' noise coming from the rear of the car during accel or decel could be coming from the rear wheel hub and halfshaft spline interface due to the very slight wear-in of the hub and shaft fit. We call it 'spline click'. Retorquing the rear hub nuts usually eliminates the noise. The Service Manual calls out 190 ft-lbs. Experience tells us that 250 ft-lbs will eliminate this source of noise. Try retorquing the rear hub nuts and see if the noise goes away.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
kenricGTS:
  • Why are the internals of the '08 and'06 not forged like the Ford GT or the new ZR-1?
    How much faster is the new ACR compared to the standard Viper coupe around a road course?
  • How much slower is the '08 ACR than a non acr '08 as far as top speed and 1/4 mile times?
KenricGTS
Engine internals - The '06 internals PM fixed pin rod came from the 5.7L Hemi and has the highest stiffness with the lowest weight for any rod in the industry at these center to center distances. The weight control on this rod is also one of the best in the industry (without external balancing). It was possible to eliminate heavy metal addition on most of the produced cranks by using this rod. At the rated power the rod has more than acceptable safety factor. The cast piston (from MAHLE) also allowed the lowest weight, best weight control with more than acceptable strength. (anodized top land and top ring groove with Grafal coated skirts)
The '08 internals were based on the same parameters but used a floating pin modifed version of the rod (also used on the 6.1L) and the piston (also used in the 6.1L).
This all said, if you want to build the engine substantially beyond the rated levels the piston, pin and rods will have to be upgraded as well.. At this point there are a lot of options each with positives and negatives. Whatever the choice the final package will need to be balanced probably requiring the addition of mallory to the crank.

The ACR answers are being addressed as I write this, so look for those responses further in the chat.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to make a comment about the SRT folks in general, they made me a life time customer when they they sent Sherry Woodson and a gentleman (cant remember his name) to Pa all the way from the plant to fix a problem with my car. I don't know of any other car company that would do that. Thanks for everything, and as long as you build'em, I will own one:headbang:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see guys changing their wheels on Gen 3's frequently for weight savings. I understand the Gen 3 wheels are designed to withstand a flat and get you home safely on run-flats. Meaning that the wheel is heavy and robust. But I am worried that going to lighter wheels throws off my suspension tuning, since I often drive my Viper at speeds of 160 mph plus, I dont want any surprises in handling/braking...is it smart to switch to lighter wheels on Gen 3's?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am changing the valve cover bolts to ARP bolts and noticed that the service catalog says to torque them to 95 inch pounds. Does that mean i torque them to 8 lb feet? Seems low to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21