Starter Problem - Looking for C100 Location

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm tracking down a starter problem that seems to be related to a short/open in the wire from the starter relay to the solenoid. :mad:

The car isn't cranking. When I short the solenoid wire to 12V through connector C205, near the Aux Jumper Post, the starter kicks in. When I short it through the starter motor relay connector, terminal 87, nothing happens. I see spark, and I get the battery warning, so I know that there is drain. I'm thinking that there is something between the starter relay and C205 that is contacting the frame.

I'm trying to find connector C100's physical location so that I can try 12V and see if I can track down where the short/open is.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked in my '94 service manual and it seems the connectors are not even labeled in the wiring diagram. If you can describe it some more, I will look some more.

I looked in my '96 RT manual and C-100 is on the forward face of the passenger foot box, below the blower motor and outboard of the relays. It is a black, smallish bulkhead connector.

I looked in my '99 manual and C-100 is on the outboard side of the driver's foot box. It is black and next to what looks like a power distribution box. Again, a small bulkhead connection.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you check the clutch switch?Would be a easy place to start.Kinda hard to unplug.You can put a jumper wire across the connector on the wiring harnes side and see what happens.

OP
OP
T

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I found it this morning. It's a monster of a connector. It was a bit interesting, as the '95 service manual shows the connector wire the opposite direction from how it was installed. It made checking the connectivity interesting. I also found out that either the service manual is labled incorrectly regarding which of the 5 relays in that spot are for the starter or the starter relay harness was put in the wrong spot. The reason I was not getting connectivity was because I was on the wrong relay connector. :crazy2:

Once I was checking on the right relay connector, the diag process was pretty straight forward. It appears that the ignition switch is not getting 12V to the relay, so I'm off to hunt that one down. The clutch switch appears to be working fine.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes those factory wiring manuals have to be taken with a grain of salt. When I was installing the Roe fan kit on my '01 it called for busting into a wiring loom around the brake master cylinder. There are 2 connectors and 2 wiring looms but I went to the one that was supposed to be the correct one because the manual said it was the one on top or whatever. Well, after quite some time of frustration looking for the fat green wire, the connectors and looms were reversed on the car. PITA.

Good luck with your woes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang