Stripes

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the stripes on a GTS costing $5,000 has anyone thought about ordering without stripes and having a quality shop paint the ACR paint scheme on it?

You must be registered for see images attach

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what would u save a few grand? is it worth the risk for such short dough on a six figure purchase?

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey ferrari to viper, what kind of an F car u got? great to see another new englander...i'm next door in RI

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it will affect the resale value if the stripes are not factory option at delivery....just a thought. But yes i agree save a few grand and rather get another option, after all it all adds up in the long run:crazy2:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vettestripes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May some high performance vinyl stripes :) which I will try to create when I got hands on these new Gen V. Currently designing for Vettes only!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I stripe it, I'll do it aftermarket for sure. I'm thinking comp coupe style or a driver's stripe.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory stripes are under the clear coat, no seam in the paint. When you go with colors that are close to each other like the black with gunmetal stripes, that seam detracts from the beauty of the paint. To me, that's worth the premium price tag.

Just look at this video in high def, this makes the argument for factory stripes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BYIkymBQi28

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was disappointed with the 2013 GTS stripe(s)...not because of cost. Firstly, I thought from advanced reading, the GTS was supposed to have "special" stripe(s) all of its own...maybe(?) similar to the GRS-R. The dual stem to stern stripes belong on the 'purist' no frills basic SRT (with the 6 vent hood)...the iconic trademark of the Viper! Secondly, the dual stripes on the GTS just don't fit imo, in the rear (with the applique) and especially with the 2 vent swish hood. Hence, I'll do my own paint scheme...and if I don't like it, I'll do another. :headbang:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory stripes are under the clear coat, no seam in the paint. When you go with colors that are close to each other like the black with gunmetal stripes, that seam detracts from the beauty of the paint. To me, that's worth the premium price tag.

Just look at this video in high def, this makes the argument for factory stripes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BYIkymBQi28

I see where you are coming from, but with SRT charging $5k, it makes your argument irrelevant. I am willing to bet you can still have the stripes added under the clear coat for much less. You can almost repaint the car entirely with a high end paint shop for that much.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see where you are coming from, but with SRT charging $5k, it makes your argument irrelevant. I am willing to bet you can still have the stripes added under the clear coat for much less. You can almost repaint the car entirely with a high end paint shop for that much.

I don't know, I think it would be hard to find a shop that could do an entire paint job with stripes under the clear coat and flush with the base paint, and at the quality level of Prefix, for $5,000. You may be able to save a little, but I don't know if it would be worth the risk. Prefix went the extra mile to dial in the striping process.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/658435-prefix-11-10-12?highlight=prefix

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) I ordered a SRT and I do not like the the stripe scheme.

2. I have a quote from a high end custom shop that will do three coats of clear over the stripes, that makes the finish similar to the factory, the cost $2,000.

I don't know, I think it would be hard to find a shop that could do an entire paint job with stripes under the clear coat and flush with the base paint, and at the quality level of Prefix, for $5,000. You may be able to save a little, but I don't know if it would be worth the risk. Prefix went the extra mile to dial in the striping process.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/658435-prefix-11-10-12?highlight=prefix

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) I ordered a SRT and I do not like the the stripe scheme.

2. I have a quote from a high end custom shop that will do three coats of clear over the stripes, that makes the finish similar to the factory, the cost $2,000.

I hear you, if you don't like the stripes then custom is the way to go. Did they say that they could make the stripes flush to the main paint? Depending upon color, it may not matter much.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these ideas about personalizing stripes is pretty amazing to me. Spend 100K plus and take it straight to the paint shop.....doesn't make any sense whatsoever. You by doing this most certainly void any warranty on the paint work from the factory. Then to suggest to add several additional layers of paint on top of what is already there....the professional painters I work with certainly don't believe that more (thicker) paint is something to strive for.

Besides...consider the deflated value. It may look good to you, but any custom jobs will limit the market down the road and most definitely reduce the value of the car.

Someone thought a 'dolphin mural' was the way to take their Viper to the next level...........

I give credit to SRT for having designed the stripes to work with the car. Don't mess with it.

Matt

Last edited:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you so worried about choices that others make. What color scheme did you order.

All these ideas about personalizing stripes is pretty amazing to me. Spend 100K plus and take it straight to the paint shop.....doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Besides...consider the deflated value. It may look good to you, but any custom jobs will limit the market down the road and most definitely reduce the value of the car.

Someone thought a 'dolphin' was the way to take their Viper to the next level...........

I give credit to SRT for having designed the stripes to work with the car. Don't mess with it.

Matt

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was worried about losing value, I wouldn't be buying a $100,000 car :D Hell, taxes you are coughing up is more than the lost value of a custom paint job.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you so worried about choices that others make. What color scheme did you order.

Jack,

Not worried at all. It just surprises me how many people seem to want to change the appearance of this car right off the bat. Cant say that I was active on this forum when the Gen 3 was made available. So was there as much talk about how the design could be improved by changing the stripes at that time ?

Then the release of the late model ACR's.......I think most buyers left that paint scheme alone.

Its almost like people are buying a car that they feel are just not right. For me, considering the cost of the Gen V, is a bit strange.

Of course, you buy a car...do what you want with it. Its your car...and your money. Free country and all that stuff.

Matt

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should ask how many buyers of the GTS are ordering stripes for their car. It appears most are not ordering the stripes. Everybody has their own opinion of the price and appearance of the SRT and GTS stripes. With that said (flame suit on....check) I feel the stripes do not work well with the GTS hood and you cannot see the stripes on the SRT from behind (which is the what most people will see after being passed on a road course:drive:)

OP
OP
C

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts guys.
I think when it's all said and done the yellow needs stripes and I guess if you are going to opt for stripes they should be from the factory. That way when the ACR comes out gives me the excuse to jump into the pond again. :2tu:

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Getting my own stripes seems to be the only way to get white/blue stripes with the current offerings--Dave

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2whitevipers........why don't you arrange or see if Prefix will do a custom GTS blue stripes for you at the time of painting the body of the car?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I could get 5k to put stripes on a car......................................... My wife does paint work that blows away anything srt puts out the door, and would never get that kind of money...

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2whitevipers........why don't you arrange or see if Prefix will do a custom GTS blue stripes for you at the time of painting the body of the car?

Good luck with that! If his name was Ralph, instead of Dave, maybe that would be possible....no disrespect intended. If you order a solid white car and want stripes after you actually own the car, then yes. Worked fine on my 08 GTS Blue/white coupe. Prefix even picked it up at Conner. But, of course, the paint technique was different then.

Bill

Reaction score
I believe Prefix is painting the stripes first, then painting base color then clear coating everything so the entire process takes longer and the overall thickness of the finish is consistent rather then layering each color, at least that is what I remember. The stripes are custom and that level of work is worth the cost of the factory striping IMO. If you add stripes later will they totally disassemble the car and do each panel so there is no possible over spray? I bet not for $2-$3K, I bet not for $5K! This is an expensive car and I think anyone buying a used car down the line will think that this is a negative to do. Sure there are great shops that can ADD more paint and clear layers to the car, but even so the stripes will never be as seamless as the consistent thickness of the factory process.

If you want custom stripes I would still contact the folks at Prefix and see what can be done while the car is there, then at least you can have insured quality that is the same as will come from the factory stripes and you can say that they were "factory" special order through the same painters of the stock car right? Heck maybe you can even just have them paint the fascias all the way through like some of you suggested would look better to you, then maybe the factory stripes would appeal to you more?

OP
OP
C

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a great idea Mark.

Is there anyone here that has a contact at Prefix that could find out what they may or may not do?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte