The dreaded lost hood grill screws......

moparracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, removed my hood grills to wax under them & dropped two of the screws inside the hood.......:(
anyone have success in retrieving lost screws from inside the hood or did you just replace them with another #8 black sheetmetal screw?

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost screws in my hood several years ago and for all I know they are still in there because I couldnt get them out. Remember to glue the gasket onto the screen before you put it back on the car. That way it doesn't roll under as they tend to do.

ticketmered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to Home Depot and buy a telescoping magnet. Looks like an antenna with an small magnet on the tip. I too dropped a screw in an area where I could not reach. The magnet is very strong and will get those screws out for you.

Good luck

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help me picture where "in the hood" the screw was lost? Do you mean the area between the hood and hood pad? :dunno:

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hood pad mounts with "pushpins" that go into the engine-side of the hood. The engine-side is molded and then mounted to the exterior side of the hood with a open space or airgap between the two surfaces except where they are joined together to make the hood assembly. The screws that hold these grills (4/grill) are screwed in from the engine side os the hood, and if they get away fron you they fall into this gap because you have the hood open to remount the grills.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear of your success...I do worry that one of these lost screws will erode through the outer skin on someone's Viper.

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread as I can't read the link with the recommended solution. I knew to watch out for this and still managed to drop one.Any links with the best suggestion appreciated.Rick

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One Shiner and cut finger later, I got it out. Cut off one of those magnet extension sticks and duct taped it to a coat hangar. Got both grills on and realize that in a couple of months I will pull them off again because they don't look perfect to me. Happy New Year's to everyone.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good job...and, I enjoyed speaking with you. It sounds like you are taking fantastic care of your FE !!

Happy New Year to You and Yours !

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,Enjoyed talking to you and thanks for the taking a call on New Year's Eve and the tips. It is very much appreciated.Rick

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when putting back the screws put black electrical tape on them and when you take them off you can tape them to screwdriver easy in easy out !!!