VCA DRAG RACING AT GAINESVILLE SAT. OCT. 9

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Janni for your input. The superficial damage I recieved from the racing incidient was minor. I ran on Sunday without incident. I apologize for the nussance posts by former VCA members.

I finished fifth overall in GTC in points, missing 8 races and four events including VOI and the Viper Days event that followed due to the threat of hurricane IVAN, but still ended up fifth overall in GTC. Congratulations to Henry for his third place overall finish in GT-1.

I look forward to seeing both of you next week at Hallet in Tulsa for the VRL finals. Maybe both Henry and I can add to our trophy case's of VRL trophies we have both won.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to drive Sebring and have Chuck show me the way!
Maybe we could hit Sunshine Speedway on Friday, then Sebring on Saturday?

DN

Come on down brotha Dave! VD at Sebring is going to be huge!!! If you want to run a few "pre-VD" laps on Dec 5 with SAFE Motorsports let me know. You can rent a SRT for about $500 and take it around the track for a day.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Chuck, as a member of SAFE I would be there Dec. 5 but my Comp. Coupe is in Duluth, MN and will be in the process of getting ready for the 2005 VRL season starting in January in California. I may come down and run our SRT4 if I am in town. Let me know ASAP regarding USA Spedway and the interest in running stock cars on that track for a club event.

LTHL-GRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not calling anyone out, just making an observation that Gary's driving skills are being critiqued by drag racers, not road racers. It's not as easy as some feel it is. There are many very competitive drivers as well as some professionals in the Viper Days series.

Jay (Sneaky), Steve (V-10.com) and I are all road racers, not just dragsters. You might want to watch the generalizations. You might also want to ask Chuck about my road course skills...

If you look at the Viper Days results, you'll see that a well driven "prepared" class GTS can compete with a Comp Coupe anyday. In fact, a GT1 prepared GTS wins almost every VRL race.

That's all well and good but Jay's car is a factory stock '97 so I don't see how it applies.

I'd love to drive Sebring and have Chuck show me the way!
Maybe we could hit Sunshine Speedway on Friday, then Sebring on Saturday?

Great, last time we were at Sebring Chuck had to put on the Hoosiers to get by me. I think you will find any of us to be ample competition. However, I would venture that your car has to have more than headers and cat back if you are running 11.68 in a creampuff :cool:

Come on down and get some Florida sunshine. Drags on Friday, Sebring on Saturday. Looser pays for trivia... :eek:

That invitation goes for you too Janni, I know you would put up a better showing than Scary ;) And I don't think any of us would be "scared" to be on the track with you. As far as the "driving incident" would you please elaborate on exactly what consitutes a "driving incident" from an unbiased first hand standpoint? With pics if available... Does this type of "incident" create a track wide black flag? In our series (SAFE Motorsports) two of these "incidents" in a day and you are sent home. I was told first hand that this particular driver "loses his head out there".

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That invitation goes for you too Janni, I know you would put up a better showing than Scary ;) And I don't think any of us would be "scared" to be on the track with you. As far as the "driving incident" would you please elaborate on exactly what consitutes a "driving incident" from an unbiased first hand standpoint? With pics if available... Does this type of "incident" create a track wide black flag? In our series (SAFE Motorsports) two of these "incidents" in a day and you are sent home. I was told first hand that this particular driver "loses his head out there".

This was a "racing incident". Any time there is contact in the Viper Racing League, the chief steward, and the Stewards of the Meet, review the incident and make a determination to assign blame, fault and penalties. The stewards of the meet are preselected from the VRL drivers before the races - typically, they are one GT1 driver and one CC driver. All drivers rotate through being a SOM. The stewards review the videotapes from the parties involved in car cameras, interview the drivers, witnesses and may ask for any other video from any other competitor that may show the incident more clearly. During the meeting, the group discusses how it occured, who was at fault, was it dangerous or deliberate, etc., etc. In this case, no blame was assessed. Sometimes, when you are racing - wheel to wheel - contact occurs. Either party could have done things differently, but the "wrongdoing" of either party is not significant enough to casue blame or assess any penalty.

As this is a race, there is not a black flag thrown unless there is a danger on the track or the race needs to be stopped. Neither occured here - as both parties were able to continue on and finish the race.

In the Viper Racing League, three spins / offs during qualifying or a race and you ar ecalled in.

I am not sure what SAFE Motorsports does - but I don't think that they are a race series - but a HPDE type event. In that case, they would be similar to the Michelin Challenge Series at Viper Days - a driving school and timed event - with point by passing and NO RACING. In the Challenge Series - off tracks and spins get you a "Woodchuck". Three woodchucks in a day and you park it. In any HPDE type event, rules are much more strict regarding offs, spins and certainly contact. I don't think you can compare SAFE with the VRL - unles syou guys are down there running door to door with full blown race cars (cages, fire suppression, etc.) and I don't know about it.

Please understand that the VRL guys are out there racing for position in safe, race prepped cars. Most have crew chiefs with radio headsets to help them through the race - whether it's traffic, time / laps remaining, who's coming up on them, who they are coming up on. But in actual racing (NOT timed events), contact will happen.

Sunday races are long and the qualifying grid is inverted. With heat, speed, lots of passing action and time - any driver can lose their head or lose concentration. I am not out there racing - only standing on pit wall and watching every lap - so I am not qualified to judge someone's adequacy or inadequacy as a race driver. And I don't think you are either. I will say that if Henry or I thought that it was unsafe to be running with anyone in the VRL - he wouldn't be out there.

Looking forward to being at Sebring. Don't expect I'll be out there running - unless I rent the SRT-4. These days, my crew chief activities take up a WHOLE bunch of time - and besides - the longer I stay away - the f-a-s-t-e-r I was!!!! :laugh:

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody please keep this one on topic.

It was a nice, well run event with over 20 Vipers drag racing to their hearts content.. exactly what Viper Owners are asking for.

Thanks in advance.

EALASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jani, Thanks so much for your explanation to these guys about SAFETY EQUIPMENT and VRL RACING. As you & I both know VRL is a totally different beast than most people are used to. Anytime you are in avery high performance car (and even somtimes not) STUFF happens!!! You are absolutely right..safety MUST come first. When Gary was drag racing a few years back (before the Viper Days events) I, like you was his crew chief and the safety equipment was most important...I really didn't care how much horsepower there was, IS IT SAFE? I'm still crew chief and still concerned about the same things! Gary & Henry have the best safety equipment available, to my knowledge and that's the way it should be! We can spend $$$$$ on performance but we ALL need to be concerned about safety..even in our "street cars". Been there, seen it, don't wat to go there again and you know what I mean!!! Look forwar to seeing you and Henry in OK week after next.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VRL and SAFE Motorsports are NOT the same!!! Janni is correct, SAFE is an open track club and like most open track clubs it runs school rules, i.e. no racing. It is a great opportunity to gets gobbs of track time, up to six hours, in one day.

VRL is wheel to wheel, door to door, bumper to bumper racing, which I will move to some day if I climb enough roofs - translation: make more money.

As for JT, you were smoking those Kumhos trying to hang with #34 and the greasy Michelins. Let me know when you grow a set for the Hoosiers buddy-boy.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must be getting old - or old enough to realize that I am not immortal. I don't understand how people are willing to spend 10's of thousands of dollars (and sometimes more) on performance parts for their cars and then won't invest in the safety equipment to possibly save their lives. Vipers going 140 - 150+ MPH at the end of a run can cause a bunch of damage to an individual and things happen very fast.

Having seen my husband upside down with the back end of his car in the wall, I can only tell you how relieved I was to hear him say "I'm OK" on the radio and how happy I was that we decided that the safest thing to do - if we were going to continue to run high speed DE events - was to buy a race car with all the safety equipment available and invest in things that maybe weren't "required" but were safer. This could have just as easily happened to a street car and I fear the results would have been worse. We've continued to invest in more and better safety equipment and never begrudge the $$$ spent. And that money gets spent BEFORE the car upgrades.

You are doing your loved ones a disservice if you are taking better care of your car than you are of yourself. I cringe when I see someone spend $2400 a weekend on tires and then won't pony up the less than $800 for a HANS device.

Hate to be the voice of doom and gloom - but sooner or later - something is going to happen - and when it does - you all should want to have the most safety equipment around you that you can have. I know it's not fun to spend $$$$ on that when you can get another 5 MPH or .1 second, but protect yourselves and try to examine why some of these safety rule are in place. NASCAR never used to require head and next restraints and it took the death of a legend to tighten up the safety requirements. Would you have preferred that they had done that earlier - so we could enjoy watching Dale Earnhart race? I know his family would have preferred if he had been "forced" to wear a safety device that MAY have saved his life - even if he had b!tched about it the entire time.

Janni "Mother Hen" Cone

now THERE is the voice of reason. Janni is right - with cars cracking 150mph in the standing 1/4 someone will die one day unless they start taking this seriously.... there are far worse things than having a cage discretely fitted through a dashboard. This pre-occupation with keeping things original while making over 1000hp is about as sensible as flying into commercial airspace in a rocking chair via helium balloons.

Anyone who thinks that their 1000hp cars are going to be converted back to stock anytime soon is probably delirious - they've already been cut up significantly - just in places it is not obvious. Anything is reversible given enough skill and money - but please - why would anyone go backwards?

I've seen cages so well incorporated into a vehicle and front sub-frame, then upholstered - that you have to look twice to see it wasn't factory...

It's all skits and giggles until something goes terribly wrong at the wrong end of the track and suddenly there is a tragedy.

My observation is that any modification that requires a great deal of trouble is too much for most people to even attempt - I'm talking about those in the trade not the customer. But there are craftspeople who can do such things to the highest standards - and it is worth it. Customers need to start taking the initiative - because many of us have seen the results of it going wrong first hand.

My 2 cents.

Remember this - if your car goes sideways at 160mph on a drag strip in a stock Viper - the chances of walking away are almost nil.... and then it is suddenly no longer fun - spouses are called, kids etc etc....

Having wiped off the brains of a friend of mine on scattered car parts - and having sat with his wife - I can say there's worse things than good safety gear

EALASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jani & Torquemonster ar ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!! Safety must come FIRST, losing a friend or family member for lack of safety equipment is not a fun thing!!!

On a lighter note, please let me OFFICIALLY announce the winners for Gainesville;

PURE STOCK RT 10/GTS:
the winner was; Tracy Welch in a Neon- 2nd place 14.703

PURE STOCK SRT 10;
1ST place: Gene Yauchler
2nd place: Greg Christie

MODIFIED:
1st Place: Gary Soltys 11.763
2nd place: Bob Tew 12.222

UNLIMITED:
1st place: Ward Reasoner 10.496
2nd place: John Canal 10.980

HIGH MPH: Ward Reasoner 141.68
LOW ET: Ward Reasoner 10.496
BEST 60' TIME: Ward Reasoner 1.67

Steve Salis was handed the trophy for BEST 60' time. We did NOT have those numbers available at that time and Steve is looking for "help" as to what to put on his trophy! Ward's trophy is being made (as I stype this) and will be sent to him next week.

Congratulations to ALL of our winers at Gainesville, it was a truly great day and lots of fun. So sorry that Al Marzilli's car broke and we hope that all is well with him.

On one other note.....one of our very FIRST VCA members of the Ctrl/No FLorida VCA was the lottery winner of the raffle drawing, and we are so happy for Allen & Jackie Henning....what an incredible WIN and you both deserve it!!!

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ealash

Correction on your Pure stock Rt10/GTS class if you are calling a Neon the winner.

It was a 2003 Cobra driven by my wife Joni Perry.

EALASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, My post on the winners was supposed to be the list and their placing, I put "the winner was" in the wrong place but did specify the Neon was SECOND Place. So sorry, I didn't mean to leave Joni out or suggest that the Neon beat her, our notes from the trophy presentation did not have have Joni's name (you guys should have stayed after all) and I just went went down the list.

Again, sorry for the mistake/misunderstanding.

Elizabeth

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LashinskI Wrote: I was in the left lane and rolled thru the lights and fouled with a red light. I did not make the run and waited for Steve to re-stage. I won one Steve won the other.

1TONY1 Wrote:

Sorry, but if you look at the back of your NHRA license you will see where it says a red light is a loss. Gary 1 Steve 2 That's just the way it is. :laugh:

If this statement does not sum up the entire situation of whats going in the Florida region, I dont know what would.

20 years of racing and 20 year NHRA license holder and does not know that a red light is a loss! Nothing else has to be said about Lashinski! NOTHING!

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also making t-shirts with the picture of the trophy and the new plaque. What size would you and Gary want?

Steve

What shirt sizes will be available and how much will the shirts sell for?

When will these shirts be available and will they have the cookie monster on the back side?????

You must be registered for see images

It would be great fund racing event for the club so they can continue to put these type of events on a more regualar basis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21