Venting my windshield cowling.

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, you heard it right. I took off my windshield cowl and took out the Dremel. I have pictures uploaded in my gallery. I just did it today so what you are looking at has not been painted. Still, I like the way it looks and I think it will let a little heat out from under the hood. Take a look and tell me what you think. It's going to paint tomorrow so I'll upload more pics when it's done.

ps-I know you love my high quality work horses! :p

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here it is:
11062hersheyNvipercowl_012-med.jpg

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody here just did this "mod" and has wire mesh installed in the openings.
They posted pics on the board in the last week or 2.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
What pictures in your gallery of the cowl .......

...... I got sidetracked by the "random_010" picture and never made it to the cowl pics :eek:

OP
OP
S

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh I hadn't realized some one else did it, though I can't claim it was my idea. I saw one for sale on a web site and figured I could do it myself for less than 1/2 price.

Rocket-There are more to come! LOL I juist don't want to get banned for too much flesh!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea. I never measured any temp difference. I just know that heat comes out. :confused:

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This quote from 2000 Black RT/10 from this thread:

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=721198&Forum=UBB14&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3weeks&Main=721198&Search=true#Post721198

I like the idea, looks good too. Sure it'll vent out at slow speeds, but once you get up and going, the opposite will happen, as air flows over the car and ramps up the windshield there is air pressure (compressed) at the cowl and cooler air will be forced into the engine bay, yet when the car is sitting in traffic it'll vent the engine compartment. 2 thumbs for your cowl ruckdr.

KWIK96 - Coincidently I was talking about air pressure zones with another member. Your placement of the vents rear of the front tires is a great location. I used to work with wind tunnel simulation modelling, and there is a high pressure zone behind the front tire, you will get reasonable air flow into the sills at that location when moving at speed. The louvers hinder the air flow in that direction, but I understand the esthetics rather than having exposed holes and it's surely better than no holes and less tire spray water / debris. 2 thumbs for that design also.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can see heat comming out when stopped.Car seems to run a little cooler.Touch the grates when you shut her down and you get a burnt finger. GTS Bruce

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that no wiper option! That looks sweet!

Thanks. Since I never drive it in the rain and never use my wipers I figured why do I need it. All I do is put on some RainX and I'm all set.

OP
OP
S

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I should have fibeerglassed mine closed-I never drive in the rain either! Wish I had thought of it-the cowling is already at paint. Oh well!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I could do that to mine but I don't think that it would fly come inspection time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960