Viper beaten?

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This video has been on internet for awhile.

Show of hands - Anyone see that Lexus SC300TT video versus 2 RX-7's and a Viper Venom 500? That Lexus was pretty sick. Of course, it is just a Lexus.

if not, go here: http://tight2k.com/2k2/videos-cars-race.html

I wouldn't want to run into him at a red light - completely camouflaged/discreet bad 'as-" vehicle.

of course, Viper owners/lovers didn't buy the Viper to be "camouflaged". I'd still take the Viper anyday. We may not have the fastest vehicle on the planet (thought it's pretty **** close), but it's fast, pretty, great bang-for-the-buck, and attracts all the lovely ladies!
wink.gif
(not to mention grandmas/ grandpas, kids of all ages)

Anyone know which VCA member that was that got beat? (Viper Venom 500 owner)

I'd like to see the SC300TT versus the Viper on a road track with some curves.

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dunno about that.

From what I understand, the SC300TT gave the RX-7s and the Viper a "head start". Hence the caption "tag along" at the beginning.

I hate to say it, but the Viper only brakes once he sees he's about to be passed. The Lexus gains in the video from start to finish.

although I would like to think Viper Venom realized he was approaching 160mph and didn't have a death wish and slowed down allowing the Lexus to pass.
wink.gif

yeah yeah, that explains it!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no offense and i know not what was truly going on but were they even racing? it looks like some car simply came up on a viper, it slowed and bam end of film? OK? whats the point. i watched several others like the c5 vs mercedes s500, looked like the mercedes s500 driver didnt even know the c5 was there until it reved up and sped off. no offense, rather stupid site. wanna race, go to a track and race. thats where you see what your vehicle can do, viper or otherwise

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rdustman:
no offense and i know not what was truly going on but were they even racing? it looks like some car simply came up on a viper, it slowed and bam end of film? OK? whats the point. i watched several others like the c5 vs mercedes s500, looked like the mercedes s500 driver didnt even know the c5 was there until it reved up and sped off. no offense, rather stupid site. wanna race, go to a track and race. thats where you see what your vehicle can do, viper or otherwise

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this particular case, I believe the Viper was racing and the SC beat him. It's not particularly surprising -- racing a 550 BHP Viper vs 750 BHP SC, the SC will catch up quickly once aerodynamics become a factor. Notice how the Viper walks away from those modded RX-7s...

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
&gt;&gt;no offense and i know not what was truly going on but were they even racing? it looks like some car simply came up on a viper.

Did you watch the same video I did?

The SC300TT's engine was "screaming" (doing at least 130mph) and at end of video is only barely gaining on the Viper. But gaining nonetheless.

If the Viper wasn't racing, and was just doing the speed limit - say 65mph, then the SC300TT (130mph versus 65mph) would have blown by the Viper.

But that wasn't the case. The Viper was obviously racing him.

You can't even see the Viper at the start of the video, so how did the SC300TT know he was down the road?

I mean do you really believe that TWO modified RX-7's, a 600+HP SC300TT and a Viper just "happen" to be on the same stretch of highway at the same time?

The Viper is still the King - but I have to give props were props are due. The SC300TT is an impressive RICE car... But that's all it is. It will never be a Viper.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll never understand what the deal is about putting tons of money into a car that looks like something you’d use to drop off the baby sitter.

I guess it’s the “Look at me. I put 20K into this blasé car and work on it every other weekend to keep it running and I beat a Viper.”

Whereas the Viper says “Look at me. Low 12s off the showroom floor and countless twisties with no mods.”

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just goes to show why videotape is not always a slam dunk in court.(My clients always seem to be the ones who get screwed by it!) You all saw the same video, but everyone sees something different. Interesting.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I'll be the voice of reason.

1.) Maybe the driver was/wasn't racing. He probably was...

2.) Maybe he was scared to go over 140, or whatever, and decided to break. Many people get nervous once they hit a certain speed, and will let off the gas or brake. No everyone will risk there lives going 180 MPH to prove a point.

3.) Maybe the participants agreed on 50-150, and the Lexus kept going. Losers generally do this for some reason?

4.) Maybe he thought the race was over.

5.) Maybe the Lexus was faster and past him.

6.) Maybe he missed a gear 4'th-5'th.

7.) Maybe the car hick-uped, or wasn't running properly.

8.) Maybe the guy couldn't drive a hard bargain, let alone a Viper.

** I think you get the point. These videos can be entertaining, but if you argue about 'which car is faster', based on the cheesey videos, you are a *****.

My .02.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI a SC300 has the same engine and drive train as a NA Supra, in fact the SC series is based on a Supra. I have a SC400 which is a V8 (not the I6)and I was told "if you want to go fast get the 300" this is because all of the Supra TT parts bolt right on. So basically the Viper was racing a Supra and we all know how fast they can be.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The Lexus was definitely racing the Viper, and beat him because he has more horsepower.

But that is only ONE qualification for a sports car, that it go fast in a straight line. And it only won on the top end.

Lets look at all the street going sports car "racing" that is NOT represented here-

1/4 mile dragstrip
Road Course
Oval

The Viper would absolutely SMOKE the Lexus in any of the above events, because that Lexus is a heavy pig with cushy-soft suspension, (if it is still stock, other than the engine mods). That Lexus is not a platform that is worth building on. If you have extra discretionary income, why not put it into a Supra, or something else that will be more of an all-around sports car? Or get a Viper, and sink the cash there, and have it all- Looks, sex appeal, excitement, twisty-turny apptitude, great acceleration, etc. Admittedly, Viper owners heretofore have had to pay exhorbitant amounts of dollars per horsepower to get aftermarket performance gains. It was NOT a fair deal for us, in comparison to the Supras, which could be made to go fast somewhat cheaper.

The Sean Roe supercharger is going to make modding a Viper more affordable for the average Viper owner. So now the gap in the bang for buck ratio betwen Viper vs all challengers has narrowed, and the reasons for modding some other sports cars have been reduced a bunch.

If you wanna talk about how fast a car is, look at it in its totality. What kind of times does it make under a variety of tests?

This thread is useless. I'm gonna go for a drive. Later.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this stuff makes me laugh. I had a 17 year old kid tell me today that his "super-modified" Yukon Denali beat a Viper yesterday. Sure it did. He may have *passed* one who wasn't trying to race...

All that needs to be said is that people always compare things to a Viper, not the other way around. Tells you what the better car is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog