Viper crash

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Leslie.... Amazing how fast viper wrecks find their way here.
Sorry to see another Viper gone, but as for the wreck pics finding there way here, Well it is a Viper, this is the VCA Forums, I just hope the VIN nos turn up so that some new unsuspecting viper owner dose not end up buying a bent Viper ;)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to see another Viper gone, but as for the wreck pics finding there way here, Well it is a Viper, this is the VCA Forums, I just hope the VIN nos turn up so that some new unsuspecting viper owner dose not end up buying a bent Viper ;)

I would want people to start sending me beer at the hospital. How would they know to do that, if not for the forums here?

OP
OP

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you really think that's necessary. Sounds like a terrible incident with serious injuries or possible fatalities.
Dont look at the photos below CAMFAB...we all know you will.

I received the photos last night. The photographer(Paul K. Logsdon) and about 10 others witnessed the driver (about 30yrs old) passing cars at an estimated speed of 130 mph in the left lane. A driver unaware of the viper coming up fast went in to the left lane to pass a car causing the viper to go left into the medium from hitting the car passing. The viper lost control heading into on coming traffic hitting head-on the Honda CRV. The CRV driver woman was pinned and her baby was in a car seat. Baby was fine woman had no life threatening injuries. The Viper only hit the Honda CRV the other two cars. A ford 150 and unknown car connected trying to avoid the viper. The Driver of the Viper received a broken leg and possibly a broken jaw. His father owned the dealership and had just got the car in and his son took it out for a drive never driving a Viper before. The Driver of the Ford truck was able to drive away from the scene.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I will look for a CRV for the kids...

Very happy with the outcome related to victims, but at the same time it begs the question of whether impact was 130 one direction plus 55 in the other for a net 185MPH impact. Not to argue, just an observation.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Goes to show how incredibly safe cars are these days. And if 130mph is accurate it also shows how incredibly stupid some folks are. We don't have an Autobahn...but maybe we should.

HorusRa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lucky only one leg broken. Man, it looked like war!
Our Vipers are real animals and hard to tame. Better be a race driver or stay quiet behind the wheel, and race on the track!

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GOD how lucky everyone survived:omg: The dumb-ass Viper driver should have his license taken away for life...!!!! KC

OP
OP

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I will look for a CRV for the kids...

Very happy with the outcome related to victims, but at the same time it begs the question of whether impact was 130 one direction plus 55 in the other for a net 185MPH impact. Not to argue, just an observation.

Tom , they said the Viper passed them like they were standing still. The speed limit on that part of the hwy is 60mph. Most of the time its 65 is what everyone is driving at.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DHead....Jusst goes to show you that this has always been a problem since the early days of horsepower. Get people into a car that have no business being in it & they think pushing the limits on a public road is cool. Everyone is lucky to survive. The person that cause this mess needs to loose his driving privilages for no less than 5 years & do 1 year of probation with an ambulance crew.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but at the same time it begs the question of whether impact was 130 one direction plus 55 in the other for a net 185MPH impact. Not to argue, just an observation.

I'm figuring that he scrubbed off some speed as he went through the grass and back onto the highway on the other side. If he was doing 130 at the time he lost control, he would have slowed down some...but that would still be a huge impact.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
130 mph, as I read it, is the estimated speed by the witnesses on the road. I would take that with a grain of salt. How does your avarage person estimate 130 mph? If your going 65 someone going 85 is going to pass you pretty damn fast.

Still, how could you not forsee this scenerio: kid, first time in his dad's viper.........

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you say "Black Box Time"? Depending on how aggressive the District Attorney for the county in which this happened, the black box may get fished out and downloaded to see what his speed was for certain. I know some here will get upset with that prospect but what if it was your wife/girlfriend/sister in that CRV? What would you want then?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not going to cast any stones here as I've been tempted with roads like that before and that stretch of road looks incredibly tempting. But I've learned to take it to the track, not the highway at those speeds.

Looking at the CRV, it looks like the Viper exhaust manifold got ripped off and wedged into the CRV engine...damn. :omg:

I know there are costs involved, but perhaps if there had been a safety barrier in the central divide this would have helped?

Look further up the highway and you'll see safety barriers where the grass ends. Don't know if they would've helped, at the alleged 130mph speed he could've pushed the barrier into traffic on impact. We'll never know.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there are costs involved, but perhaps if there had been a safety barrier in the central divide this would have helped?

There was a big debate in Phoenix about barriers and an outrage that they were not installed when the new freeways were built. We finally paid for cable barriers; and now are replacing them with concrete. Pretty soon we could see a call to line all traffic lanes in the US with SAFER (Steel and Foam Energy Reduction) barriers like NASCAR tracks.

Just kidding. We probably do need the barriers whereever there is a high concentration of incompetent, inattentive or just plain stupid drivers.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it could have been worse...but it does not look pretty. Glad there were no casualties.. :(

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe yes, maybe no. I spun out in the rain through a median exactly like the one in the pic and ended up in the emergency lane of the opposing traffic. A divider may have killed me but without one I just spun to a stop, gathered up my nerves and drove home.

The best thing about a divider is cops coming from the other direction can't turn in the median and go after anyone.

That said I am certainly not advocating what this idiot did if in fact the idiot was doing 130mph.

OP
OP

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
130 mph, as I read it, is the estimated speed by the witnesses on the road. I would take that with a grain of salt. How does your avarage person estimate 130 mph? If your going 65 someone going 85 is going to pass you pretty damn fast.

Still, how could you not forsee this scenerio: kid, first time in his dad's viper.........

One of the witnesses has a vette and not a stranger to speed. I would believe him. They all said he passed them like they were standing still...Still=60 to 65 mph x 2 = 120 to 130.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at the CRV, it looks like the Viper exhaust manifold got ripped off and wedged into the CRV engine...damn. :omg:

Come on man, pay attention. There are only four tubes, that is obviously the CRV exhaust manifold.

Gen three cars all came with headers, there hasn't been an exhaust manifold on a Viper since 97.

And we wonder how these things get blown out of proportion.:slap:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on man, pay attention. There are only four tubes, that is obviously the CRV exhaust manifold.

Gen three cars all came with headers, there hasn't been an exhaust manifold on a Viper since 97.

And we wonder how these things get blown out of proportion.:slap:

Wow, well that was a useless post. Good job. :2tu:

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We don't have an Autobahn...but maybe we should.

Autobahn safety requires that slower traffic keeps right and that it's illegal to pass a car on its right hand side. Unfortunately passing on the right is legal here in the US, and retraining all drivers is probably impossible... Autobahn impossible :(

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autobahn safety requires that slower traffic keeps right and that it's illegal to pass a car on its right hand side. Unfortunately passing on the right is legal here in the US, and retraining all drivers is probably impossible... Autobahn impossible :(

The first step is a Slower-Traffic-Keep-Right law. There was a SlowerTrafficKeepRight law proposed here. Everybody was for it and I mean EVERYBODY. But for whatever reason it never got passed, the politicians either voted it down or it never made it that far. I don't remember. At least the signs are still up.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, well that was a useless post. Good job. :2tu:

You state some totally inaccurate evaluation of something that you think happened and me calling you on your obvious mistake is useless??

I guess you and I see things in a little different light.:dunno:

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You state some totally inaccurate evaluation of something that you think happened and me calling you on your obvious mistake is useless??

I guess you and I see things in a little different light.:dunno:

Um, sorry, the useless post I was referring to was mine regarding the 'manifold' observation, not yours and was giving you kudos for pointing out my manifold theory. At first glance the headers on the CRV looked like Belanger's to me. I've never seen headers that beefy on a CRV. Peace.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, sorry, the useless post I was referring to was mine regarding the 'manifold' observation, not yours and was giving you kudos for pointing out my manifold theory. At first glance the headers on the CRV looked like Belanger's to me. I've never seen headers that beefy on a CRV. Peace.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate":D

Its cool, peace right back at ya!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude