Viper crash

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pop quiz guys,
What year is the wrecked Silver Viper in this thread?

The answer is in the details of the pictures...

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, sorry, the useless post I was referring to was mine regarding the 'manifold' observation, not yours and was giving you kudos for pointing out my manifold theory. At first glance the headers on the CRV looked like Belanger's to me. I've never seen headers that beefy on a CRV. Peace.

"What we've got here is failure to communicate":D

Its cool, peace right back at ya!

Everybody, gather 'round for a group hug. :hug:

ViperTony, when I read your message my first reaction was the same as C-note had. It's so hard to conversate on a keyboard.

Bob

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you say "Black Box Time"? ....I know some here will get upset with that prospect but what if it was your wife/girlfriend/sister in that CRV? What would you want then?

:nono: black boxes belong with hoa's, relegated to the pits of the bad place.

doesen't matter if it was my "wife/girlfriend/sister in that CRV", situational ethics is for libs, ....just hope a close friend would stop me from making right at 300 yds. (i'm good to 500 yds, but that distance is rarely necessary :D)

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: UPDATE Viper Crash

I have just received the details of the accident here in Springfield involving a Viper on Saturday - Tong was driving the Viper (he owns a dealership here in town and sells BMW's, Mercedes, etc). He had just purchased the Viper to see how that market is - this is the "first AND LAST" Viper he will every buy. He just did not realize the power the car had and when pulling onto the highway around 55MPH (I believe the speed limit is 60) he went to pass a slower moving car and punched the accelerator - he was unsure of how fast he got up to but he immediately got into the median area and lost control and went into the oncoming traffic. As horrible as the wreckage was for all cars involved the most serious injury was a broken leg (she was driving the Honda CRV if you have seen the photos of that vehicle it was demolished as well). From what I was told everyone is doing as well as can be expected - and aside from the broken leg, only banged and bruised!!

Don't flame me, but that's all the more reason to have ESC/ESP/DSC. It weighs nothing and can be turned off. But what a great safety feature to have when you're not on the track or for novice to moderate...heck, even advanced drivers. You never know when you're going to hit a patch of water, oil, gravel, etc. Before you know it, you're in the median.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't flame me, but that's all the more reason to have ESC/ESP/DSC. It weighs nothing and can be turned off. But what a great safety feature to have when you're not on the track or for novice to moderate...heck, even advanced drivers. You never know when you're going to hit a patch of water, oil, gravel, etc. Before you know it, you're in the median.

Shut up and go back to the Vette forums!!

If you don't know how to drive you should not be in a Viper!!!
We here have heard enough about this!!:bdh:

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shut up and go back to the Vette forums!!

If you don't know how to drive you should not be in a Viper!!!
We here have heard enough about this!!:bdh:

C-Note-chill out. You're going to get a heart attack...if you don't crash your Viper first:rolaugh: I'm not on the Vette forum (I don't have a mullet) and I thought I prefaced my comment. Guess you didn't read that. Go back to the Anger management forum :)

Seriously though, this has nothing to do with knowing how to drive. I drive quite well. Which is why I know unexpected things can happen. So if you're saying EVERY person who has crashed a Viper doesn't know how to drive, that is profoundly ignorant and rude to the innocent Viper drivers. Hey, if you want to go crash your Viper, go right ahead. You do know that you can turn off ESC with a push of a button, right! I think I read that over 25% of Vipers have been totaled.

Last edited:

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I read all you had to say, I love how people put something up that they know will agitate other people and then say "don't flame me" If you know you are ******* people off and don't want a negative response why say it in the first place!

This particular case, as in many Viper accidents, involved a person not experienced with Dodge Vipers.
I am sure you would find, if you were to put some statistics together, that a large percentage of accidents with Vipers involved new owners that lacked experience in driving not only Vipers but performance cars in general.
A little education could go a long ways when driving these cars.
Do you know how traction control works? It simply takes the engine power away, the same thing that happens when you lift your foot off the gas.
If this particular individual would have known what he was doing I would bet this would not have happen.
Besides all of that, it is clear that speed was a major part of the issue here. I don't care if you are in an AWD car that has every electronic babysitter installed in it, at the speed mentioned in this thread just a twitch of the wheel could cause an accident like this to happen.
If you want those in your car go have them installed, they are out there just for people like you.
I for one like breaking my tires loose at any given moment and know when and how it it is going to happen.
Just so you know, there is also a high accident ratio with Corvettes. It has way more to do with who is driving the car and how it is driven.

You will argue that all of your granny controls have saved lives and I am sure they have.

I will argue that I don't want to pay the extra production cost for an electronic babysitter to be in my car that I have to turn off every time I drive just so people that don't know how to drive a performance car can handle a Viper.

Regardless of the safety factor I don't want them!!! And this subject has been beat to death around here, If you want to argue about this subject go find one of the many threads on hear and say whatever you want about it.

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

C-Note-chill out. You're going to get a heart attack...if you don't crash your Viper first:rolaugh: I'm not on the Vette forum (I don't have a mullet) and I thought I prefaced my comment. Guess you didn't read that. Go back to the Anger management forum :)

Seriously though, this has nothing to do with knowing how to drive. I drive quite well. Which is why I know unexpected things can happen. So if you're saying EVERY person who has crashed a Viper doesn't know how to drive, that is profoundly ignorant and rude to the innocent Viper drivers. Hey, if you want to go crash your Viper, go right ahead. You do know that you can turn off ESC with a push of a button, right! I think I read that over 25% of Vipers have been totaled.
Every time some idiot crashes a Viper doing something painfully stupid, which no nannygear in the WORLD could save... some lightweight prances around here demanding we need it. You name me ONE car that could regain control while being stupid doing 130mph.

Shouldn't there be a week ban on any yahoo that butts into a "Viper crash" thread to espouse nannytech? It's just in poor taste, and trolling.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Every time some idiot crashes a Viper doing something painfully stupid, which no nannygear in the WORLD could save... some lightweight prances around here demanding we need it. You name me ONE car that could regain control while being stupid doing 130mph.

Shouldn't there be a week ban on any yahoo that butts into a "Viper crash" thread to espouse nannytech? It's just in poor taste, and trolling.

Yep:rolaugh::rolaugh:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buy a vette.

Please buy a vette.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buy a vette.

Please buy a vette.

Why? Are you selling one:lmao: Do I look better with a mullet or something? Actually, I've been a Viper fan and saw one before virtually everyone on this forum. I saw it in person before 1989, when it was first a concept. I have family that knew the Viper team. So, it's much more likely that most of you would buy a Vette before me!

Warfang, don't be a hater. You can't just ban people that express an idea. If you have a point to make, express it rationally and intellectually.

C-Note, Like I said before, we agree on most of those things. But you're misinterpreting my message probably because you're really passionate about this subject.

I know how traction control works quite well and have for years. I never discussed anything about traction control, did I? I was referring to DSC/ESP, which is a variance of traction control that's active when you slip while turning. Not accelerating while turning doesn't always fix the problem when you are turning, esp if you hit water/oil, stones when we don't expect.

A bad driver is a bad driver. No electronics will compensate for that.

Have fun in the Vipers guys and safe driving:2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why? Are you selling one:lmao: Do I look better with a mullet or something? Actually, I've been a Viper fan and saw one before virtually everyone on this forum. I saw it in person before 1989, when it was first a concept. I have family that knew the Viper team. So, it's much more likely that most of you would buy a Vette before me!

Warfang, don't be a hater. You can't just ban people that express an idea. If you have a point to make, express it rationally and intellectually.

C-Note, Like I said before, we agree on most of those things. But you're misinterpreting my message probably because you're really passionate about this subject.

I know how traction control works quite well and have for years. I never discussed anything about traction control, did I? I was referring to DSC/ESP, which is a variance of traction control that's active when you slip while turning. Not accelerating while turning doesn't always fix the problem when you are turning, esp if you hit water/oil, stones when we don't expect.

A bad driver is a bad driver. No electronics will compensate for that.
I think you have no idea what you're talking about. DSC/ESP IS NANNYCRAP. You don't bring up nannycrap in a viper crash thread like it would have saved some retard behind the wheel, then in the next breath claim "a bad driver is a bad driver... blah blah blah". Can't have it both ways. Don't waste our time and energy with this crap. Don't get a Vette... American muscle is too good for you.
Get a Volvo stationwagon.... it suits you. :rolleyes:

Not banning you for an idea... banning you temporarily as punishment for bringing up a BAD idea that has been beaten to DEATH on this board and will do nothing than incite the people that understands what the Viper is truly about. Buy a car you want... don't buy one and shoot your mouth off about changing it. It's pathetic the people that want the bragging rights of "taming" the beast, when they want it castrated to begin with. Give all of us a break already.

You're not off to a good start newbie. :rolleyes:

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Exactly. So let them buy any one of the dozens of nanny cars available and leave the Viper to the purists.

All that nanny crap doesn't seem to help anyway. Take a look for yourself Wrecked Exotic Cars - Pictures of Expensive Car Crashes and Wrecks

Agree 100%. Like I said, A bad driver is a bad driver. I've seen those pics before. Some teenagers, rappers, clothing people, FBI agents, and others that have no special driving skills or maturity. The worst combo-lack of hand to eye coordination coupled with a complete disregard to public safety. Those drivers shouldn't have even been driving Buicks!

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think you have no idea what you're talking about. DSC/ESP IS NANNYCRAP. You don't bring up nannycrap in a viper crash thread like it would have saved some retard behind the wheel, then in the next breath claim "a bad driver is a bad driver... blah blah blah". Can't have it both ways.

Warfang, I'm quite happy with my Viper and have been with the division for over 20 years. Just because I posted here recently doesn't mean I don't know the car or that I'm a newbie. I probably knew it long before you did, seriously. Get to know who you are talking about before you make incorrect statements. Posts don't correlate always correlate with car intelligence.

Anyway, you guys are way too passionate about this topic to understand my point. You can have it both ways, but it's like telling a democrat or republican that you can increase mpg AND performance AND have a V8. Neither one will believe you! Most likely because neither one has any advanced engineering education, but that's another topic!

I'm not looking to get into a ******* match because, at the end of the day, I was presenting a thought. Since you don't know anything about me, what I do, or my experience with cars, you're going to automatically assume the worst because of your passion about this topic. Basic human nature. So, like I said before, drive safe!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree 100%. Like I said, A bad driver is a bad driver. I've seen those pics before. Some teenagers, rappers, clothing people, FBI agents, and others that have no special driving skills or maturity. The worst combo-lack of hand to eye coordination coupled with a complete disregard to public safety. Those drivers shouldn't have even been driving Buicks!

That's some good backpedaling there... or were you just moonwalking in honor of MJ? :rolleyes:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Warfang, I'm quite happy with my Viper and have been with the division for over 20 years. Just because I posted here recently doesn't mean I don't know the car or that I'm a newbie. I probably knew it long before you did, seriously. Get to know who you are talking about before you make incorrect statements. Posts don't correlate always correlate with car intelligence.

Anyway, you guys are way too passionate about this topic to understand my point. You can have it both ways, but it's like telling a democrat or republican that you can increase mpg AND performance AND have a V8. Neither one will believe you! Most likely because neither one has any advanced engineering education, but that's another topic!

I'm not looking to get into a ******* match because, at the end of the day, I was presenting a thought. Since you don't know anything about me, what I do, or my experience with cars, you're going to automatically assume the worst because of your passion about this topic. Basic human nature. So, like I said before, drive safe!
You're a newbie here as indicated by your post number. I'm not calling you young, I'm calling you new to this board. Don't be so sensitive. :rolleyes"

And NO... you CAN'T have it both ways, and no, you CAN'T change the topic of the discussion. You're so transparent it's funny.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's some good backpedaling there... or were you just moonwalking in honor of MJ? You're so transparent it's funny.

No, you're funny! Seriously...that was pretty funny. With all those insults, I didn't know you had a sense of humor. But how is it backpedaling when I was the one that said a bad driver is a bad driver:dunno:

So then, am I really backpedaling or are you actually agreeing with me? Wait...I hear some cracking...oh look, we have our first ice breaker. Yea...we're all starting to get on the same page. Guess we'll agree on everything but one small detail, ESP/DSC...you can always turn that "nannycrap" off:2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No, you're funny! Seriously...that was pretty funny. With all those insults, I didn't know you had a sense of humor. But how is it backpedaling when I was the one that said a bad driver is a bad driver:dunno:

So then, am I really backpedaling or are you actually agreeing with me? Wait...I hear some cracking...oh look, we have our first ice breaker. Yea...we're all starting to get on the same page. Guess we'll agree on everything but one small detail, ESP/DSC...you can always turn that "nannycrap" off:2tu:

If traction control would not help one bit in this case... why are we bringing it up? Is it ignorance or trolling? I don't get it. I dont want to pay for nannycrap... if it's an "option", it's R&D money that could have gone to other things. The Viper is not about nannycrap. Go find a car that is. Simple as that. There are also aftermarket traction control... get it for yourself. Don't force it down our throats.

Your original post was to espouse the greatness of nannytech in context of this wreck. After many people informed you that the retard that drove off in daddy's Viper was doing 130 and no supercomputer strapped onto industrial clamps was going to save the car from it's demise, you start in with the "bad driver is a bad driver" bit. That's moonwalking there. If the single glove fits... Shamone!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you can always turn that "nannycrap" off

You just don't get it. Purists don't want the crap on the car for a number of reasons. Most important being simplicity and if you've ever worked on a classic muscle car you know what I'm talking about.

One example: Take a look at the newer Vipers and that stupid TPMS. Seems like every week there's a thread about the tire air pressure light coming on yet the pressure is correct. And how about swapping wheels? Remember when all you had to do was buy the correct size and put them on? Now they require a stupid nanny crap sensor and reset, cross your fingers and hope the light goes off.

All that nanny crap just requires more costs in money and time as well as initial purchase and in maintenance. And for what? So some dip can have a little button to push so he can pretend he's the next Michael Schumacher? Not for me. When the Viper gets all that crap it will no longer be a Viper, and I fear that is the future, thanks to folks like you.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You just don't get it. Purists don't want the crap on the car for a number of reasons. Most important being simplicity and if you've ever worked on a classic muscle car you know what I'm talking about.

One example: Take a look at the newer Vipers and that stupid TPMS. Seems like every week there's a thread about the tire air pressure light coming on yet the pressure is correct. And how about swapping wheels? Remember when all you had to do was buy the correct size and put them on? Now they require a stupid nanny crap sensor and reset, cross your fingers and hope the light goes off.

All that nanny crap just requires more costs in money and time as well as initial purchase and in maintenance. And for what? So some dip can have a little button to push so he can pretend he's the next Michael Schumacher? Not for me. When the Viper gets all that crap it will no longer be a Viper, and I fear that is the future, thanks to folks like you.

Sans the insults, I still agree with you! TPMS is a pain. Run flats are a pain. Trust me, I get all these things and so much more that you don't know because you have no clue who I am because you have never met me.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If traction control would not help one bit in this case... why are we bringing it up? Is it ignorance or trolling? I don't get it. I dont want to pay for nannycrap... if it's an "option", it's R&D money that could have gone to other things. The Viper is not about nannycrap. Go find a car that is. Simple as that. There are also aftermarket traction control... get it for yourself. Don't force it down our throats.

Your original post was to espouse the greatness of nannytech in context of this wreck. After many people informed you that the retard that drove off in daddy's Viper was doing 130 and no supercomputer strapped onto industrial clamps was going to save the car from it's demise, you start in with the "bad driver is a bad driver" bit. That's moonwalking there. If the single glove fits... Shamone!

Warfang, again I was not talking about traction control. Sheeh! If anyone is trolling, it's not me, as I've yet to insult you or make up stuff about what you said.

If you don't know what DSC is, it is for steering, not acceleration. Yes, they work on similar technologies, but for totally different applications. So when you hit a patch of oil or gravel unexpectedly while turning, you don't spin out of control unexpectedly. It can happen to the best drivers. That's it.

It is similar in concept to LSD, which we currently have (I hope you know that) but better in some ways. It's better because it works better and you can turn it off! So it's more "Pure" in some ways that LSD as you cannot turn of LSD. You talk about being a purist, but accept LSD, ABS, etc. So why have LSD or ABS or airbags? (BTW, the answer to why we have TMPS and Airbags is simply federal mandates). So what I was talking about initially (before all these insults) was not much different than what we already have.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sans the insults, I still agree with you! TPMS is a pain. Run flats are a pain. Trust me, I get all these things and so much more that you don't know because you have no clue who I am because you have never met me.

I never insulted you. I vehemently disagree with you on the nannycrap issue but I haven't insulted you, unless you consider disagreeing as an insult.