Viper Exhaust Poll - which exhaust do you have?

Which aftermarket exhaust do you have?

• Borla

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • Corsa

Votes: 71 42.5%
  • B&B

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Belanger

Votes: 21 12.6%
  • Mopar

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 29 17.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am now an owner of a 97 Viper GTS with 3,700 miles on it. It's bone stock. This is my first muscle car ever. In my past I have owned nothing but imports such as the 93 Rx7, 93 3000GT Vr4, 06 Evo, and 92 300zx. I do not know much about this Viper and I need some help. I am thinking about doing a custom 3" dual exhaust. Literally custom..none of the above mentioned. Why? Because I refuse to spend $3,600 on an exhaust when I can have a shop make and install one for 1/2 the price. All I need to do is choose a muffler. I need suggestions on what muffler to go with. I'd prefer a high pitched sound. Where can I buy just a performance 3" dual inlet muffler? Thanks guys.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try searching...lots of info on this forum about muffler choices, cats, etc. I'd recommend getting to know the Viper. It's not like any other car out there. It will bite you. That being said, how old are the tires? I'd upgrade those first before I start on the exhaust. Lot's of info on tires in the Tires forum too. Awesome choices: PS2, Kumho's.

Reaction score
Try searching...lots of info on this forum about muffler choices, cats, etc. I'd recommend getting to know the Viper. It's not like any other car out there. It will bite you. That being said, how old are the tires? I'd upgrade those first before I start on the exhaust. Lot's of info on tires in the Tires forum too. Awesome choices: PS2, Kumho's.

dude, my viper is bone stock. still has the factory Michelins on it. Why, are the tires i have bad or something? The tread is still good, but the tires are 12 years old. Is that an isse?

Also, what do you mean by it will bite me? Because it's a dodge?:lmao:

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all those tires are going to be as hard as a rock. With the real high perfomance rubber that comes on a viper, it doesn't last long before the nice sticky rubber turns hard.

Yes, the viper is capable at a moments notice of getting out of control at the hands of an inexperienced driver. Looking at your list of previous "performance" cars, you will have ALOT to learn. Nothing listed even comes close.

With regards to exhaust, again welcome to the world of Viper where nothing is cheap and some things are reasonable. There is no stand alone dual 3" muffler that I know of, let alone several that you could choose from to get a particular High pitched sound.

My suggestion.... no, my warning to you is read read read every post that you think even begins to apply tp you or you car. Otherwise the odds are you will simply end up a statisitic here on the forums ..... another one bites the dust.

If you do decide to do your exhaust right off of the bat, I would like to seethe you exhaust guy came up with.

And yes, this post was meant to be stern, welcome to the forums.

Steve A.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dude, my viper is bone stock. still has the factory Michelins on it. Why, are the tires i have bad or something? The tread is still good, but the tires are 12 years old. Is that an isse?

Also, what do you mean by it will bite me? Because it's a dodge?:lmao:

12 Year Old Tires + Viper's Torque = Very bad things. Too many cases where folks wreck their Vipers, cause bodily damage and/or death because of old, rock-hard tires. The Tires/Wheels/Brakes section has lots of info on tires too. That would be my first upgrade.

Oh, on mufflers, I'm partial to the Dynomax Race Bullet mufflers found on the Belanger's catback system. However, I think the high pitch sound is going to come from stainless steel tubing. I noticed the difference in sound between stainless steel vs. aluminized tubing. I prefer the aluminized tubing...more mellow and meaner sound to me. Are you considering swapping out your stock cats for high flow cats? High flow cats will reduce your side sill temps and help you pick up some power as well. I did it for the side sill heat. It will add to the volume as well, in a good way, at least to my ears. :)

Mufflers: http://forums.viperclub.org/search.php?searchid=710681

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh...check your rubber engine mounts. They can separate over time and contribute to excessive wheel hop. You may want to post in the New Owner forum and/or RT10/GTS Forum and introduce yourself as well as your Viper. You'll get lots of great advice here. Welcome!

Reaction score
First of all those tires are going to be as hard as a rock. With the real high perfomance rubber that comes on a viper, it doesn't last long before the nice sticky rubber turns hard.

Yes, the viper is capable at a moments notice of getting out of control at the hands of an inexperienced driver. Looking at your list of previous "performance" cars, you will have ALOT to learn. Nothing listed even comes close.

With regards to exhaust, again welcome to the world of Viper where nothing is cheap and some things are reasonable. There is no stand alone dual 3" muffler that I know of, let alone several that you could choose from to get a particular High pitched sound.

My suggestion.... no, my warning to you is read read read every post that you think even begins to apply tp you or you car. Otherwise the odds are you will simply end up a statisitic here on the forums ..... another one bites the dust.

If you do decide to do your exhaust right off of the bat, I would like to seethe you exhaust guy came up with.

And yes, this post was meant to be stern, welcome to the forums.

Steve A.

I understand where you come from, Steve. American muscle car owners, such as Viper owns like yourself, underestimate a "performance" import. I currently still own my Evo 9 MR. FYI, it is just a 2.0 Liter Turbo awd. I run consistent 11.90s with it on the stock 16G turbo with just bolt ons and a tune. It put down 400awhp and 401ft-tq on the dyno with a stock turbo w/ bolt ons. That's not respectable?

My stock twin-turbo Rx-7 with like 4 bolt on mods ran low 12s as well. If you knew me, you would take back what you said about me being inexperienced. Racing is something I like to do. I do it nearly every week. Sometimes out of the blue. I may be inexperienced with this Viper at the moment, but in no time I can have this thing running like a ***** ape. It's a machine, like the evo and rx7...just a machine. Some are capable of certain things and advantages that others don't have.

I bought the viper to experience raw, high displacement power with no turbo. Something I've never had.

I am here on this forum simply asking for advice on what muffler an experienced Viper owner would recommend thanks.:headbang:

Reaction score
Oh...check your rubber engine mounts. They can separate over time and contribute to excessive wheel hop. You may want to post in the New Owner forum and/or RT10/GTS Forum and introduce yourself as well as your Viper. You'll get lots of great advice here. Welcome!

very cool. thank u!:2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They're not kidding. 400awhp? at redline of 7,000? Not very similar to a V10 that makes 3-400rwtq before 3,000rpm. Stock your Gen 2 Viper should put down 400+rwhp. Now add a $7,000 Roe twinscrew supercharger and it'll be stock with 600rwhp/644rwtq. Not the same as anything else. Especailly not the same as a ricer.

You could add a few hundred Nitrous hp and blow your mind.

The Viper exhaust is also unique in that your big bucks are paying for sound cancellation technology and not "muffler" restrictions. Entire different concept. If you hate the sound of your Viper after your exhaust, go fo a ride in someone's Corsa and feel/hear the difference. Biggest difference is in the cruising drone. That sound is way different that any other car and that'w one reason the exhaust is so expensive. Buy used. since the exhaust is made from SS you should be good with a used exhaust.

Maybe just think Ricer 3" exhaust x2 = $3000? Without Corsa. Borla or some other engineered exhuast your Viper will not sound as cool.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960