Viper has Build Quality of a Kit Car..But Still Fun

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RS27J9A:
agent you kill me, you have reservations about buying a viper because of some stories you've heard? PLEASE DON'T BUY ONE! I'm sure your 76 vette can provide you with all the blistering performance you may need. What did it make? 150 GROSS horses? Please corrrect me if I'm wrong, I need to know next time I come up to one at a stoplight in my minivan, you know having been forced to drive the it due to all it's mechanical problems the Viper is plagued with.

Alex, you're just a priss, go put your dress on and drive the m3.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I strike a chord with you RS? The 76 doesn't provide blistering performance nor does my MB C320 but I don't expect them too. The 76 is rated at 210 (I know) and ran mid fourteens when I used to take it to the track (not great but it was 1976). The 76 is my show car that I take to a couple shows every year and some fun hanging out with some great people. The only reason I have it is because it was my first vette and has alot of sentimental value etc. I drive it maybe 500 miles a year but can say I never come home from a show without atleaast 1st place or a best in show/paint award. I know its just a plastic trophy but like I said its the hanging with great people I enjoy. Now my Z06 does provide pretty descent performance. I was kinda confused at your post at first but then read that you drive a "Mini Van" so that explained it perfectly. Maybe you should have not bought the Viper and stuck to the mini van. Me, I love all performance cars, even the slower C3 vettes from the 70's and 80's but I am a pretty secure guy and am not in the market for a viper just to be able to say I am the fastest or be seen. Please forgive me for wanting to research if/what problems vipers have before purchasing one.

RS27J9A

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agent,

you've been on here humming and aahing for months about buying a Viper, just go drive one and you'll be convinced. There are many resources on here that tell you what to look out for when buying a used one. The only problems I've had on my 96 is a faulty fuel pump.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
every one of my vehicles rattle. my snake, my 76 volaries with blue plaid interior, my mercs, my landcruiser, even my boat rattles (baja 38 special), must just be my fat*ss, LOL. seriously though, i will say one thing, this alexsnakeredwhatever sure knows how to get everyones **** bunched up. if this was a behavioral science experiment with pavlovian responses, id give the bonehead an A in the class, LOL. opinions are good and its your god given right to voice it but dont actually get mad or offended by others opinions on this site, i mean cmon, life is too short and you aint getting paid for it anyway. its like two football fans fighting, why do it you aint the players making millions. (although i do condone a good brawl every now and then to work the joints and tendons, LOL)

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AlexRedSnake,

welcome to viper hell. what most of these guy dont realize is that if you get a dud/lemon from Chrysler, it is a real irritating experience. my 2001 GTS was brand new and all it did was overheat. Chrysler said that was normal for some to run that way. A court case and Judge thought otherwise and I no longer have that car.

why one RT/10 is quiet, no leaks and problem free and the next one off the assembly line has multiple unfixable problems is anyones guess.

If it leaks that bad, just file for lemon law and in less than 3 months you will have your money back, less mileage.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by agentf1:
Now my Z06 does provide pretty descent performance.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"descent?" If you were referring to a Viper I would assume you meant "decent" but since stated "Z06" I have to agree, it is "descent performance."

And don't expect any kudos for winning a car show on this site. Trophys from the track are all we care about. Take your Z06 to a Viper Days event and have some fun with some radical nuts like myself.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's be honest here,the Viper is may be the greatest car on earth but the fit and finish as well than a lot of details could stand some improvements.

I did not buy my Viper thinking that it was a luxury car but even a "basic" sport car should not have the windshield leaking badly because the "craftpersons" at the factory forgot to put urethane sealer on it.
What about the yellowing side sills,or the ashtray or passenger air bag cover that are not the same shade of black than the dash,or thee gauges that are not centered in their opening ?

No big deal but don't flame the guy that said that the Viper has some quality issues.

Luc.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta disagree Luc. Using terms like "laughable", "undriveable" and "kit car" is like calling your mother a ***** but adding he likes sleeping with her nonetheless.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Gotta disagree Luc. Using terms like "laughable", "undriveable" and "kit car" is like calling your mother a ***** but adding he likes sleeping with her nonetheless.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck,

Talked to McQuire, you better be carefull using a word like "*****", if Gary L. sees that he might ban you too.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Did you guys go to Daytona Dodge?

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luc:

In all fairness, you may not have noticed some of Alex's previous posts. To bear witness to a few of Alex's posts is to understand why the criticism is aptly deserved.

Yes, it is OK to make note of the Viper's hot cabin and other quirks - not really the point here. It is how you go-about voicing your gripes. Alex has shown a pattern of disturbing posts that keep leaving me guessing if this guy is for real?

It seems that every post this guy makes is either insulting some one's car, talking about how he owned this or that for 6 months then got bored with it, or comments on how the Viper is simply OK. You see, Alex is living in his spoiled little world and doesn't realize that he comes across like a whining punk - despite numerous people (including myself) letting him know point-blank that he's digging his own holes. Alex even went so far as to complain about his job to the point where he hopes to get fired. I remember this because such comments came at a time when thousands of hard-working folks, with a family to support, are getting laid-off.

The point Luc: Alex just doesn't get it! Poor choice of comments on a repeated basis. No one picks the right words to use each and every time, but there is a clear pattern here.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by agentf1:
I will say Alex has valid gripes. For 70 or 80g you don't expect a leaky car or one to hot to drive or the windshield to shake..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just about sick of this statement. "For $xxxk you don't Expect to have this problem..." Danm man, where have you been? I have the very first MT write up on the Viper back in 91 and one of the first things mentioned is how uncomfortable it is, how it leaks, and how it requires too much concentration to drive. 80% of the problems have been discussed on this board at some point or another so exactly when did all of these little quirks become a shock? The enthusiasts here don't buy cupholders and *** massagers, we buy cars to fill a need and if it has anything else going for it, well then, you can call it a perk...

My auto response for this statement from here on out will be "For $70-80k I would expect the OWNER to have enough common sense to research the vehicle Before buying it..."

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
"descent?" If you were referring to a Viper I would assume you meant "decent" but since stated "Z06" I have to agree, it is "descent performance."

And don't expect any kudos for winning a car show on this site. Trophys from the track are all we care about. Take your Z06 to a Viper Days event and have some fun with some radical nuts like myself.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK so I am a marginal speller.
laugh.gif
Chuck, I would love to get the Z to Viper Days. I missed the last one due to a family obligation. When is the next one in my area (Pocono). I am also not looking for any kudos for my trophies just explaining why I have a poor performer like the C3. The 76 may have to go to make room for the Viper if I can bring myself to getting rid of it, I don't drive or show it very much anymore. Is anybody out there close to me (Phila PA/Wilmington Del area) that wouldn't mind stopping by and taking me for a ride in there Viper, I would love to feel how much faster they are than my Z06 etc?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott J:
Luc:

In all fairness, you may not have noticed some of Alex's previous posts. To bear witness to a few of Alex's posts is to understand why the criticism is aptly deserved.

Yes, it is OK to make note of the Viper's hot cabin and other quirks - not really the point here. It is how you go-about voicing your gripes. Alex has shown a pattern of disturbing posts that keep leaving me guessing if this guy is for real?

It seems that every post this guy makes is either insulting some one's car, talking about how he owned this or that for 6 months then got bored with it, or comments on how the Viper is simply OK. You see, Alex is living in his spoiled little world and doesn't realize that he comes across like a whining punk - despite numerous people (including myself) letting him know point-blank that he's digging his own holes. Alex even went so far as to complain about his job to the point where he hopes to get fired. I remember this because such comments came at a time when thousands of hard-working folks, with a family to support, are getting laid-off.

The point Luc: Alex just doesn't get it! Poor choice of comments on a repeated basis. No one picks the right words to use each and every time, but there is a clear pattern here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just going to type that. Go back and read AlexRedSnake's previous posts to understand why some of us react the way we do to his posts. I remember when Sunkarat just bought his yellow GTS, he posted a few pics of his car. Alex jumped all over him for posting pics of a stock viper, saying it was spam. Alex jumped all over another member for having black wheels on a 911 turbo rather than the stock wheels on the 911 turbo that Mommy and Daddy bought him. The list goes on. AlexRedTool just doesn't get it.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The only other "sports" car I owned before my Viper was a 1989 convertible Vette. It didn't leak, had no problems after the first three electrical failures that I fixed myself, thank you.

After that it was a great car. But it did not have the personality of the Viper. No raw appeal, no pizzaz.

When I first posted here on the old board, I criticized the Viper for the many faults that I had heard about, and received something close to ostracisation, (is that a word?) and **********
hail[1].gif
JonB.

But what was really happening to me is that down deep inside, I was weighing whether or not I really wanted a Viper, and attempting to convince myself that the feeling would pass. But the bold personality of the Viper kept bekoning me to ownership.

When I finally admitted I was snake bit, the venom turned into motivation that caused me to start a business, so I could afford a new Viper of my own. The business continues to grow, and is doing fine.

So in that way, the Viper "changed my life"!

The daring-do of Lutz, Gale, Castaing, et al, rubbed off on me, and affected my life in a positve way. Their bold actions rocked the Detroit status-quo, and even woke up Chevy to some degree.

I wonder how many other people exist out there have been so positively influenced by what Dodge did?

Other cars have their own relative merits, but the Viper will always be a classic in time, an icon of its era, and remain near and dear to the hearts of its owners, faults notwithstanding.

My 2001 water pump has been replaced, and my car doesn't leak or rattle. I love the heck out of it!

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck pretty much summed it up. The reaction to this post has little to do with its content (although the content is pretty stupid too) and everything to do with the poster. If you haven't read previous posts from Alexis here (or maybe one of the other car boards he posted on before they banned him), you don't have enough background to comment.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG:
Even though I think he's a bit of a tool for his past comments.....I agree with you. Who gives a rats A** who bought the cars, I certainly don't (more power to him)-I just don't like when someone acts like a brat about it. Seriously though, like anyone would turn down a fleet of hot cars if "given" to them
rolleyes.gif
. If anyone sais they wouldn't, is either a lying sack or is a member of The worldwide Missions of Charity.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well "acts like a brat about it" are the key words here. When someone makes fun of another person's viper because it is stock or someone elses 911 turbo because it has black wheels (keep in mind these people worked for their cars) yet brags about having mom and dad give 10 BMWs in 10 years, a viper, a wrx, a 911 turbo, ZO6, and what ever else he might have had, makes that person a brat. Does anyone else remember Alex's post about getting mad at his dad so he peeled out in front of the house and left a bunch of tire marks on the street? I think that tool is too kind of a word here.

Alex, where are you? Hanging on the wall in the shed perhaps?

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just cannot believe the amount of attention this thread is getting, i say alex snake kid should stay just the way he is, keep the avatar, and continue his rants as he has mastered the ability to put a fire under the our *sses, LOL. in all seriousness, i think either he is not even legit or he is just doing it for the above reason. and if he is doing it because of the possibility he is all the negative things said so far, then this club needs to have events which include full contact fighting competitions (in between the beer events and racing of course)and offer him a personal invite, LOL. many good points though mentioned by many of you, we're all thinkin now aint we

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point I'm really amazed at the comments being made about Alex. Who the hell are you guys to talk about how he got the car. How do you know his dad bought it? And so what. My parents bought me plenty of cars when I was young and now I buy my own. I'm **** proud that my Dad was able to give all 5 of his kids anything they ever wanted - and also **** proud that he taught me to bust my *** to make my own money. I know that Alex has had a similar upbringing and is in the process of building a future. Some of you really need to check yourselves. I think the last post had the best idea - I'd love to demonstrate what a "bronx beat down" is like. Some of you need it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before this thread I never knew how you got your cars, didn’t care either, still don’t.

Whatever brings you satisfaction, be it owning a particular car, a nice house, a Rembrandt or your favorite sports team. And just as you would stick up for whatever lights you up, we do the same.

It’s no different on the other boards.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's time to take your Flintstones Vitamins and get ready for bed. Say goodnite to all one of your friends on the computer. Mommy & Daddy want to read you a bedtime story.
smile.gif

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy, oh boy Alex, I gotta laugh, because I have a feeling that many of the posts in this thread about you, and judging you, would not be said face to face. As a matter of fact, that's what's wrong with electronic transmissions. Everyone has a lot of balls when typing on their computer.

I need to go to Scores.

AC

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew2KRT10:
Boy, oh boy Alex, I gotta laugh, because I have a feeling that many of the posts in this thread about you, and judging you, would not be said face to face.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right. His shirt would give us a seizure before we could say anything.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
alex can come if he wants but I'm going to stand a few feet away from him in case some of the viper police want to jump him!

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This argument reminds me of the Open Source vs Microsoft argument. Microsoft likes to hide the problems in their software hoping no one ever finds out and exploits them. It works with many issues, but also results in lots of fun viruses like IloveU,etc. The open source community likes to show every bug there is in the open and get someone to fix it as soon as possible. I think the second approach makes for better,more reliable, cheaper software. I also think it makes sense with cars. The more people discuss the issues with a car honestly, the more fixes and workaround you can invent and find.

I agree that using words like "kit car" and "horrible" make people defensive. But, while his choice of words aren't great his points aren't baseless. I love the car, but it isn't perfect. I am not sure what the point of his post was though? He didn't offer any solutions...he just seemed to want to complain. That doesn't help either.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, I would love to get the Z to Viper Days.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> www.viperdays.com The season is almost over. Maybe next year. Or if you ever wanna take a trip to FL we'll head over to Sebring for an open track day.

Can't blame you for the sentimental value with the Vette.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AlexRedSnake has a pattern of making moronic statements so it's no surprise that we all look forward to giving him a thrAshing. It has nothing to do with whether he has a valid point or not. ****, he could say the sky is blue and we'd still serve up a beatdown ala the Usual Suspects.

Change your shirt and your avatar and we might lay off a bit.
nono.gif

John H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And don't expect any kudos for winning a car show on this site. Trophys from the track are all we care about.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck, if you believe that you need to open your eyes. This forum could just as well be called ZainoClub. I think like you regarding the track, but we're not in the majority here.

To quote a Gen 1 owner in a previous thread where the subject matter was how this other sports car could be made quicker than any modified Viper, his reply was:
"Regardless of who wins, in the end the Viper draws the crowd." "That's what owning a Viper is all about." Sadly, I think that pretty much sums up the majority on here.

Driving a Viper is like having a 13" penis.
1) It's not very practical and can be hard to drive unless you're a professional.
2) It's not the best performer, but it can definitely lay on the hurt.
3) You get a lot of attention - although it's mainly from teenage boys who wished they had one, or ****** that are only good for a test drive.

John H

You must be registered for see images attach

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how bout we get this one put to rest, all those offended should take some paxil or hit the ****, the rest of us will move on as well, d*mn what a post, LOL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery