Viper Wheel Goes Flying off at High Speed into a Turn -- Video taped it all

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper Wheel Goes Flying off at High Speed into a Turn -- Video taped it

'98s were also cast unless you got the $500 optional forged, polished.

Are you sure about that? In the past all info on this board has been that 98s were forged.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you sure about that? In the past all info on this board has been that 98s were forged.

Yeah, I call BS too. All the 98's were forged. The used the cast through early 97, then moved to the better wheels. Chroming weakens the rim, never road race with the chromies! :crazy:

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Yeah, I call BS too. All the 98's were forged. The used the cast through early 97, then moved to the better wheels. Chroming weakens the rim, never road race with the chromies! :crazy:

Yeah, well I say FY too. You are wrong. Check the '98 Viper sales catalog page 28. Also, the forged $500 option is itemized on my window sticker as Customer Preferred Package 21A. Also, when I bought mine there was another '98 on the floor with the STANDARD sparkle silver finish cast wheels on all Viper models. Now, if you want to put your money where your uninformed, BS accusing mouth is I'll wager you any $ amount...how about $100K since you know so much and call my comments BS? Next time check your facts before you open your mouth and spew BS. :smirk:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmmmm.... I won't call anyone any names, but I would guess that all 98's were forged, but the high polish forged were listed as a $500 upgrade due to the polish process, not the forging.

If the painted sparkle silver and optional GOLD finish wheels were cast, then that would mean that DC held a bunch of wheels through the remainder of model year 1997 when they shipped late 1997s with forged, then dumped the cast 1996 leftovers as standard "sparkle silver" wheels in the next model year. That's a ton of stock to be sitting around for 12 months - I don't think inventory control would let them get away with that.

The early 1997s being cast makes sense, 1998s still being cast, doesn't.

As far as having a case against D-C - that's just not reality. First of all, you were on a track - all bets are off there. Secondly, but more importantly, they were CHROMED - a process that exposes the wheels to heat and chemicals. It's been said here many times before how chroming weakens the wheels. I do believe someone even posted a chemical explanation a while back.

Lastly, whenever you prep (or you pay someone to prep) your car for a track event, inspection of the insides of the wheels, rotors, brakes, underside of car, etc. needs to be done. A small problem can easily turn deadly at 150 MPH. It's a whole different world out there when you are racing / tracking your car. And a good mechanic does not always equal a good race mechanic. The stresses and extremes you see are far and above a street driven car. For anyone going to track their car and push it hard, spend 3X as long preparing - and remember - your equipment is the ONLY thing keeping you safe.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Gee Janni, thanks very much for that inventory control lesson. I was in the distribution industry for 25 years and an Operations VP in two Fortune 30 companies. Now obviously I'm not as great an expert in everything as you always seem to be, however, I do know how to read and I know cast wheels when I see them. Now since you apparantly were unable to read that I said sparkle CAST above I will type for you exactly what it says in the Dodge Viper 1998 sales catalog: Wheels: The standard wheel on all Dodge Viper models is a Sparkle Silver finish five-spoke design of CAST aluminum (Pic A). Polished FORGED aluminum wheels (PIC B) are optional on both models. I would guess you are wrong too? I've got another $100K to cover your know it all (including inventory control) expert opinion. Hmmmmm. Come back when you have some factual evidence instead of a guess and an analysis of inventory control BS.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, aren't we special?

1) catalogs have been wrong in the past.
2) your first short post said absolutely nothing about the catalog or pictures or quoted text that would support your one line response.

You can further explain your position without being an arrogant butthead.

Jeez.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Not only did I mention the catalog page 28, but I also stated I saw CAST wheels on another '98 when I bought my car. Now who's the arrogant one to tell me I don't know CAST wheels when I see them. Now just because you're not as smart as you think you are you don't have to resort to infantile name calling do you? I did not think a high ranking VCA officer could lower herself to that. You need to chill out and try to maintain a factual intelligent conversation. I also thought that you are not allowed to call other members buttheads on this Board or are VCA Presidents exempt from the rules? Maybe you should BAN yourself for a couple of weeks? Should not VCA Presidents be held to a higher standard than us little people that don't know what CAST wheels are? I'd recommend that in the future you check your facts before you come up with your inventory control GUESSES about what's what. It's kinda like ASSuming...you know what they say! Wow...butthead...haven't heard that since the 2nd grade....how old are you?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You mean this post? Quoted here in it's entirety?

<font color="red"> EDIT _ FYI _ I started my post before you posted the page reference, so I did not see it.</font>

And butthead was the nicest thing I could think of that would make it past the auto word censors. Childish, maybe, but it was a word that conveyed my sentiments.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

And butthead was the nicest thing I could think of that would make it past the auto word censors. Childish, maybe, but it was a word that conveyed my sentiments.

No..I mean the one after that one and BEFORE your first post. I presume after reading my first post you being so intelligent and an expert about everything decided you would impress everyone with your inventrol control analysis and fire off your GUESS before you thought another member actually knew more than you and you did not think it necessary to read the posts after that before you piped in with your EXPERT INVENTRY CONROL GUESS about what makes sense. Now are you going to be banned for name calling or not? I'll send this to Vipermads attention for appropriate action. Next time try to control your monthly female emotions.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Crazy thing is that I never heard or read that 96 wheels were bad for road racing when using stock tires. I know now, as I was told by about a dozen viper guys after it happened. The car was prepped by West Coast Viper for the event, so I called John Horton after I broke the wheel and he hadn't heard of the wheels coming apart with stock tires either, so he didn't mention it to me when I picked up the car to go track it."

--

Guys, I should clarify this a bit, as I believe I misspoke. When I bought these wheels, they were for my first 94 Viper which I wasn't planning on tracking. I believe John Horton over at West Coast Viper did tell me not to track that viper with these wheels way back when I got them, but I was so excited about the new car and new wheels, and since I wasn't going to track this car, I probably forgot. Those wheels were later put on my SVS car (the one I raced this past weekend) per my request. I thought I should mention this because John Horton and his crew at West Coast are awesome, and I continue to take anything Viper related to him, and would always highly recommend John, Jason and Dan over there. So, has ANYBODY ever seen these wheels come apart with stock tires?

I want to get a wheel that looks good on the street and can be used on the track as well, and the new Purner 19's fit this bill. They have them on a car at West Coast Viper (same car that did the 1 mile shootout) so I am going to take one more look and probably order me a set. How much are Kumhos or Hoosiers for a 19" wheel?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yup - ban me for name calling. or give me a warning - the correct course of action. I get three strikes. And I'd gladly use them all on you.

I didn't see your second post with the page reference as I had already started my response as you were posting.

I tried to convey a logical skepticism about 1998's being cast with the information I had at the time.

I didn't look up my 1998 brochure. My fault. but they are not always right, either.

Lastly, with regard to my monthly female emotions..... You ain't seen nothing yet.

Butthead.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Without getting into the fray...

After checking various 1996, 1997 and 1998 brochures, all state that cast 5 spoke wheels are standard (but with forged centercaps!) with the 1998 only listing polished forged as optional as stated above.

That said, we know catalogs can be quite inaccurate. For example, the 1997 book is incorrect states that all 1997 wheels are cast when in fact most were forged.

To help clarify the situation, could all 1998 owners that care, please reply below as to whether you have cast sparkle or forged polished 5 spoke wheels (easily identifiable as seen above) and if you have the window sticker, whether you paid extra for the forged.

I myself have never seen a 1998 sparkle cast wheel and I've seen many 1998 Vipers.

Thanks

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

<font color="red"> EDIT _ FYI _ I started my post before you posted the page reference, so I did not see it.</font>

Hmmmmm...the post I'm referring to was entered at 3:46PM and your's was at 4:09PM and is the next post after mine. I GUESS you were blinded by your SUPERIOR EXPERT INTELLIGENCE and just did not see it because you were too caught up in your own SUPREME SIGNIFICANCE. Like I said you read my first post and did not think it necessary to read the rest of the thread before bestowing on all of us your ARROGANT SUPER SUPERIOR KNOW IT ALL GUESS. Also, nice to know that you chose butthead to try to circumvent the VCA BOARD RULES. As an OFFICER I thought you are supposed to help to enforce the rules and act as an example to the rest of us less intellectually fortunate members that don't know proper behavior norms? GUESS not? :confused: As an OFFICER and an ARROGANT INDIVIDUAL you've really let us down. :(

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Yup - ban me for name calling. or give me a warning - the correct course of action. I get three strikes. And I'd gladly use them all on you.

I didn't see your second post with the page reference as I had already started my response as you were posting.

I tried to convey a logical skepticism about 1998's being cast with the information I had at the time.

I didn't look up my 1998 brochure. My fault. but they are not always right, either.

Lastly, with regard to my monthly female emotions..... You ain't seen nothing yet.

Butthead.
Hmmmm...apparantly takes you a long time to think and type a post....not very impressive for a super smart individual like you.
Well, I guess that's 2 strikes calling me that twice? Impress me with your monthly female emotional name calling ability and call me something else for your 3rd strike. Seriously though, I still believe that you as a LEADER and a positve example to all of us lessor members should be held to a higher standard. I'm sure you as a HIGHER, MORE INTELLIGENT (don't forget the inventory control analysis...quite impressive) SUPERIOR INDIVIDUAL would agree....or are you really LOWER than you think? :smirk:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gawd, I hope I didn't start this. I just wanted to know if DD was certain about his info because it's not what has been stated a zillion times on this board.

But you two are sure making it fun.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No..I mean the one after that one and BEFORE your first post. I presume after reading my first post you being so intelligent and an expert about everything decided you would impress everyone with your inventrol control analysis and fire off your GUESS before you thought another member actually knew more than you and you did not think it necessary to read the posts after that before you piped in with your EXPERT INVENTRY CONROL GUESS about what makes sense. Now are you going to be banned for name calling or not? I'll send this to Vipermads attention for appropriate action. Next time try to control your monthly female emotions.
Well now aren't you the asswiping buthead! One, if you believe everything you read, your less intelligent than you think(and you don't seem to think quite that much do you?) Two, catalogs are wrong as are you. I have check out a few 98's and have not found one with the cast wheels, but oh wait you MUST be right because you've READ IT! And the crack at Janni calling in her "monthly female emotions", way out of line, but yours definatley need to be check by a professional in the medical profession. Telling Vipermad? Oh no, I'm scared please don't............ YOU fuktard! :mad: :mad: Exactly what does "FY" mean? :confused: :confused: Pissoff, :D

Sincerly 96 R/T 10 ;)

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is it for me.

I was nice in my response to you. I was skeptical. I didn't see your post referencing the page numbers. (Maybe I started the post and then finished it after being called away for something - no need to infer anything about my intellect, thank you.) I still have never seen a 1998 cast wheel, and remain doubtful - even WITH the brochure reference. I hope we can hear from a definitive source and/or a painted sparkle silver wheel owner.

You were nasty in return. You were nasty to Chuck and 96 RT/10.

I shouldn't have let you get my goat, but I did and thus the "butthead" comment.

HOWEVER, if you think it's perfectly OK for you to pretty much call me an OTR know-it-all, then you sir, have another thing coming. You are just as guilty of the personal attacks and name calling - maybe moreso, as there hasn't been a civil word out of you mouth since we started this conversation. With the exception of the momentary lapse in judgement on my part, I have presented myself fairly and haven't been on some sort of CAPITAL LETTER offensive rampage taking potshots at others every chance I get.

That's as close to an apology as you'll get out of me.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Well now aren't you the asswiping buthead! One, if you believe everything you read, your less intelligent than you think(and you don't seem to think quite that much do you?) Two, catalogs are wrong as are you. I have check out a few 98's and have not found one with the cast wheels, but oh wait you MUST be right because you've READ IT! And the crack at Janni calling in her "monthly female emotions", way out of line, but yours definatley need to be check by a professional in the medical profession. Telling Vipermad? Oh no, I'm scared please don't............ YOU fuktard! :mad: :mad: Exactly what does "FY" mean? :confused: :confused: Pissoff, :D

Sincerly 96 R/T 10 ;)

FYADA! BTW, please learn to spell or use spell check if you can find it. Additionally, big deal you saw a few '98s without cast wheels. Now you've only got about 1500 to go. Also, since you too are too stupid to read all that I said let me tell you again stupid...I saw CAST wheels on another '98 when I bought mine and that is why I chose the other one with polished forged wheels. And it's in the catalog and itemized on my window sticker you DA! SGFY! :smirk:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey he can't be wrong he was the VP of two Fortune 30 companies. (they still in business?)

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

This is it for me.

I was nice in my response to you. I was skeptical. I didn't see your post referencing the page numbers. (Maybe I started the post and then finished it after being called away for something - no need to infer anything about my intellect, thank you.) I still have never seen a 1998 cast wheel, and remain doubtful - even WITH the brochure reference. I hope we can hear from a definitive source and/or a painted sparkle silver wheel owner.

You were nasty in return. You were nasty to Chuck and 96 RT/10.

I shouldn't have let you get my goat, but I did and thus the "butthead" comment.

HOWEVER, if you think it's perfectly OK for you to pretty much call me an OTR know-it-all, then you sir, have another thing coming. You are just as guilty of the personal attacks and name calling - maybe moreso, as there hasn't been a civil word out of you mouth since we started this conversation. With the exception of the momentary lapse in judgement on my part, I have presented myself fairly and haven't been on some sort of CAPITAL LETTER offensive rampage taking potshots at others every chance I get.

That's as close to an apology as you'll get out of me.

First, I don't consider you saying that what I said about the 98s being cast as not making sense a nice response. I would never say that what someone said did not make sense unless I had facts to back it up. Apparantly, you don't think taking that step as necessary before insulting someone. I don't think that is nice....and what I think counts as much as what you think. I've NEVER attacked anyone on this Board that has not attacked me first. That's as close to an apology as you'll get out of me. Second, I never said anything to Chuck I quoted 96RT's post and took offense to his calling my statement BS.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Hey he can't be wrong he was the VP of two Fortune 30 companies. (they still in business?)

Chapter 11.

You only wish you had my 401Ks and Restricted Stock Grants! If you ever learn to spell you too may end up winning...naw! :D

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Simple answer to Mr. Devildog ,as he may have seen cast wheels on a 98,as it was common practice for Skip Barber to turn in their track Snakes to the Auction with the worst tires and rims they had -- keep the new ones for the next class. Consequently there were some 98 GTSs that escaped into the wilds of America with 96 rims on them. The answer to all this hubbub is that 96 is the year of the Weld, and should not be used on the track ( especially with sticky rubber ) , and if you find one on your car and it is not a 96, someone pulled the old switcheroo. Concerning your comment about Janni and the time of the month, you are out of line there and an apology is in order. The main concern here is for drivers to be safe, and a check of any rim , if the car is tracked alot, should be on any racers annual check sheet. Many safety experts suggest getting completely new rims after long periods of track time, and Skip Thomas ( Viper Days ) has been very religious about letting folks know about the 96 rims. Good deal that the driver wasn't hurt and the damage was minimal, and the Purners are a good choice for track use, along with a few others.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey. Some people (Janni, me...) try to contribute for the good of all on this board. Like any textbook, advice, or catalog, take it all in, digest it, and try to learn from it. (Believe me, it's discouraging to have someone argue when you you thought you were helping.) I would expect that Fortune 500 execs could assimilate information well and would also realize that email has it's limitations as to how information gets across. Apparantly (sic) that's not universally true...

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill has a point there as I have seen this. I did a Skip Barber 2 day school in late 1999. In a 99 car with 98 or earlier 17" rims, not the 18" rims. They were using up what must have been a huge left over stock pile of MXX3's from Michelin. When I questioned the Chief Instructor he gave me the polish salute and said he didn't know other than the fact every two weeks they put on new rubber. Since I bought my 98 brand new it came standard with the high polish. No options were on the sticker.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom,

Spelling must been the reason why he only was a VP and not a CEO.
Luc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang