Viper Wheel Goes Flying off at High Speed into a Turn -- Video taped it all

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Viper Wheel Goes Flying off at High Speed into a Turn -- Video taped it

Could someone post a better shot of a cast wheel where the spoke meets the hub. I know there was one earlier in this post but I could not see the weld in that shot and I'd like to know exactly what to look for. Thanks in advance.

Phil

Phil, my car is at West Coast Viper, but I have the wheels that came with the SVS car on my other Viper, so I went out to check if it was the cast wheel since the previous owner tracked the car quite a bit. GOODNESS! It has the same wheel too! Maybe this was all done by SVS before it was a known problem?

In any event, I took a photo for you where you can clearly see the weld line on the inside of the wheel:

You must be registered for see images

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Manny,

Just wanted to let you know that I received my spare tire back today from Horton. I'm glad you made it home okay and that it's not stopping you from wanting to go to the track again. See ya out there!

Craig

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for being so nice to let me steal your spare for a few days. I would have felt terrible if you blew a tire on the way home and didn't have it.

Will definitely see you at the track real soon.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Could someone post a better shot of a cast wheel where the spoke meets the hub. I know there was one earlier in this post but I could not see the weld in that shot and I'd like to know exactly what to look for. Thanks in advance.

Phil

Phil, my car is at West Coast Viper, but I have the wheels that came with the SVS car on my other Viper, so I went out to check if it was the cast wheel since the previous owner tracked the car quite a bit. GOODNESS! It has the same wheel too! Maybe this was all done by SVS before it was a known problem?

'96 cast/welded wheel failure notice thread with explicit photos:

This is exactly what happens when people don't ever take the time to read the archives or "tune in and turn on" regularly. 55 views in 2 years shows how important this is.

I'm very sorry that this accident happened, but also very glad that nobody got hurt and the car is pretty much OK. All Viper track rats should be on the lookout for others that are running the stock 17" wheels.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I just bought a video capture card and this is my first edit ever with it, so sorry if the file is larger than normal (about 5 megs.) Right click and SAVE on the link.

A few things:

1) Yes, I know the rear view mirror blocks the view. I had borrowed the camera mount for that session and went off track before getting to see any of the video. Next time I will mount it lower.

2) First time on the track with any Viper, so I was taking it relatively easy -- not too ******* the throttle (didn't want to spin it) and I am waaay unused to the viper brakes (coming from a Z06) so I started braking into turns way, way early and not carrying good speed out of turns. Even so, I managed to pull a 2:19 on the lap before breaking my wheel.

OK, here is the video:

VIDEO OF VIPER BREAKING WHEEL AT TRACK

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be be a ttoal mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Prttey amzanig huh?

So, Janni could have just as accurately referred to you as a buthtaed, which I will now and avoid a potential strike towards being banned.

DD if you were a VP in any fortune 500 company, much less two, please let us know which ones so we can sell short. I bet your personality worked wonderfully in the boardroom. You just seem to bring people together for a common good. And because I know your type and the hairs on your back are raising up and you can't wait to hit reply I'm not going to waste my time replying. So say anything you want and please lets start with something like "too chicken....", "afraid to...." or at least include "hit and run", or "run and hide". If you can work them all in I promised to sit quitely with a big smile on my face.

LOVE YA! you buthtaed

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

^---- Now that's fmumy . . . .