Wanted to get coil-overs but been told...

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
by others not to do it. I want to have abit better handling and from other people that tracks their cars says I shouldn't do it and just go with the R-comp tires which I rather not and stick with the ps2's. These guys don't have any Viper but probably the only ones I know that tracks their EVO STI, Vette's, etc. Say's I should just leave it the way it is.

I was thinking...The ACR's has em I'm sure the Comp Coupes do too. I need some expert advice from you guys that track alot. I don't wanna blow my money and find out that it doesn't do me any good.

Thanks

Jeff

Reaction score
A set of the Moton Clubsports will absolutely transform your car. This is a much better starting chassis and more ridged compared to those cars. This means you will actually get a benefit from them. Plus the Viper actually rides 100% better at the same time! You can adjust compression and rebound along with being able to corner weight the car for even better handling.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao:I was just thinking that maybe the reason they are telling you this is because they still want a shot at catching you. :headbang:

:lmao:very true

even the instructors at Mid OH were standing around scratching themselves, trying to figure out how he learned to drive so quickly!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides better and adjustable shocks,
  1. you can select your choice of spring rate
  2. corner weighting will balance front wheel braking to avoid flat spots
  3. can lower car.
If you do more than a few events you'll want to think brakes; you can go and turn, but always have to slow. The stock '97 system won't let you get all you can out of the car or tires.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A set of the Moton Clubsports will absolutely transform your car. This is a much better starting chassis and more ridged compared to those cars. This means you will actually get a benefit from them. Plus the Viper actually rides 100% better at the same time! You can adjust compression and rebound along with being able to corner weight the car for even better handling.

All true. Without a doubt...:2tu:

The Motons'/Eibach springs were a huge improvement right away. After getting the settings the way I liked and counterweighted, they got even better...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you plan on tracking the car a lot, say at least once per month, chances are you won't even know the benefit of coil-overs. Lets face it, the majority of people don't even come close to driving their cars at the limit around a racetrack. The stock stuff works just fine for them, they haven't even pushed the limits of the stock stuff. Go do a few track weekends first as-is, and then see if you *need* the expensive shocks.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% not true. You will instantly know the benefits to the Moton Coilovers the second you drive the car after the install. As Mark said, it transforms the car. From the beginning it just seemed that the stock suspension was have trouble managing the the unsprung weight.

Change out to a lighter set of wheels and tires and lightweight rotors and the ride is absolutely incredible.

Unless you plan on tracking the car a lot, say at least once per month, chances are you won't even know the benefit of coil-overs. Lets face it, the majority of people don't even come close to driving their cars at the limit around a racetrack. The stock stuff works just fine for them, they haven't even pushed the limits of the stock stuff. Go do a few track weekends first as-is, and then see if you *need* the expensive shocks.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% not true. You will instantly know the benefits to the Moton Coilovers the second you drive the car after the install. As Mark said, it transforms the car. From the beginning it just seemed that the stock suspension was have trouble managing the the unsprung weight.

Change out to a lighter set of wheels and tires and lightweight rotors and the ride is absolutely incredible.

Throwing money at a problem isn't always the answer. You might disagree, but I still feel that an inexperienced track driver will not realize the benefits of a coil-over system, especially if they are not driving the stock components to the limit, especially if they are still on stock tires. Ever heard of maximizing out what you currently have, and then making gradual hardware improvements? It isn't like the stock Viper suspension is junk on a racetrack. We aren't talking SUV's here. He is asking about tracking the car, not ride quality improvements.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having instructed cash84, I can say he is pushing the limits of his Viper....and then some haha

He is a naturally gifted driver.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eibachs are worth it. So is adjusting your current shocks at the time of spring install and then a street/track alignment will transform the car plenty. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
C

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sorry, havent got to this sooner. I was looking at my budget, I cant really get motons in spring. How much would it improve if i just went with eibach lowering and caps? Or the custom built coil over? I also read up that my settings on my stock suspension was for my run craps and adjusting to the gen IVs setting would improve my handling. Im looking to spend no more than a grand, i know its not giving me much but not in this ecomony at the moment.

Reaction score
If that is the route you are going then look into X2 Builders coil over conversion kit. :2tu:

sorry, havent got to this sooner. I was looking at my budget, I cant really get motons in spring. How much would it improve if i just went with eibach lowering and caps? Or the custom built coil over? I also read up that my settings on my stock suspension was for my run craps and adjusting to the gen IVs setting would improve my handling. Im looking to spend no more than a grand, i know its not giving me much but not in this ecomony at the moment.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eibachs are worth it. So is adjusting your current shocks at the time of spring install and then a street/track alignment will transform the car plenty. GTS Bruce

this is what I did on my '01, made a big difference:2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As some of the folks above say, good coil over shocks, springs, a proper alignment and good tires will transform the car on the street and on the track.

Dan

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Vipair Coilover kit? They sell for just under $1,000.00 for the set. I was considering this an option. My two goals are, first to lower the car 3/4 to 1" for a better appearance, and second to improve handling on track. Really looking forward to the tripple crown road racing series the Illinois Region is doing this summer. Jeff (aka Cash84), you should do the events as well!!

OP
OP
C

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Vipair Coilover kit? They sell for just under $1,000.00 for the set. I was considering this an option. My two goals are, first to lower the car 3/4 to 1" for a better appearance, and second to improve handling on track. Really looking forward to the tripple crown road racing series the Illinois Region is doing this summer. Jeff (aka Cash84), you should do the events as well!!

Yep I'll be doing those and the autocross :D what you have done on your car so far? You finally got rid of the run craps? Well as for the coil-overs, I am still undecided whats worth getting for me. I'm hoping to get some answers sooner or later.

You going to the winter party next month?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21