What could this be?

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now I'm taking a break from my annual clean up under the Viper. I like to do this so that I can possibly head off problems that might be covered up under dirt and grease. Anyway. on both sides if the main frame rails just aft of the front A frames is a section of plastic on the bottom fo the rails. This plastic also covers a couple of holes in the rails. It feels like there is some kind of 'gel' inside the frame rails that this plastic seals in. What's the deal?:confused: I've noticed these before when cleaning up, but this time thought I'd ask for an explaination. Also, whoever factory welded the frame never heard of splatter guard, and also mig welded it on the 'cold' side. Another welder will know what I'm talking about. If you inspect your frame and there are alot of rough spots on the metal(like grains of sand or bigger) that's weld splatter that stuck to the frame when they welded it. If they didn't apply splatter guard to the frame before welding, or even knock the splatter off before painting, that's what you have. A cold weld looks rough. It is cold because the guy welding it had the machine turned down lower than it should have been and the weld is not as hot and doesn't ********* as deep as it should. A hotter weld will smooth out and just look better, and be stronger. a cold weld 'bunches up' and looks and feels rougher. Anyone know where they had the frames done when they manufactured the cars? I'm sure it's plenty strong enough, but, I'm still keeping my eye on it.:2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the plastic covering you are referring to is the crush zone.

As for the welds, who cares what they look like as long as they hold. It's not a Ferrari.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I found those same pieces he was describing when I was under the car last week. A piece of plasticy tape-like stuff...about 6-8" long going along the frame next to the block from front to back covering a hole or two in the frame. One side was mostly off so I just pulled it. What are those things?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cleaned all of the old tape glue off of my frame and used Scotch 375 to recover the holes. You can see in the pic it is holding up well. Looks much better than that dirty flapping clouded gooey sticky factory...

You must be registered for see images

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I swear that has to be the cleanest underside of a car I have seen this side of Foose's garage. HTF do you keep it that clean?

Ron

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the car design world, that cutout is called an initiator.

Regarding FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), the car must absorb a certain amount of force in a given intrusion distance (measured in inches and the force is measured at different distances measured during impact from the leading edge of the front fascia). If there weren't cutouts, the frame would be too stiff and the impact test would fail because it took too much force to collapse the front of the car. The entire region is considered a crush or crumple zone. Any space between components is called crush space (i.e. the distance between the engine and the rad or lower dash panel).

Just like steel hoods, you see cutouts along the inner panel flanges, those are are also called initiators, where the part is designed to bend, yet for steel hoods, this to eliminate the hood from acting like a giant disc going thru the windshield and taking your head off. There are initiators all over a car.

PS.. sorry to see Wanted's car in that condition..

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Learn something new everyday, and appreciate you guys shareing your knowledge. Seems like I heard also in the event of a really severe head on, the engineers designed the engine and tranny to drop below the drivers compartment when it is forced that far to the rear by the impact. Is that true, and does anybody know of any pictures showing that? I would guess all the different gen Vipers have that engineered into them!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the car design world, that cutout is called an initiator.

Regarding FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards), the car must absorb a certain amount of force in a given intrusion distance (measured in inches and the force is measured at different distances measured during impact from the leading edge of the front fascia). If there weren't cutouts, the frame would be too stiff and the impact test would fail because it took too much force to collapse the front of the car. The entire region is considered a crush or crumple zone. Any space between components is called crush space (i.e. the distance between the engine and the rad or lower dash panel).

Just like steel hoods, you see cutouts along the inner panel flanges, those are are also called initiators, where the part is designed to bend, yet for steel hoods, this to eliminate the hood from acting like a giant disc going thru the windshield and taking your head off. There are initiators all over a car.

PS.. sorry to see Wanted's car in that condition..

Makes sense, but can you explain how a Smart Car meets regulations but a Ford GT does not?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Makes sense, but can you explain how a Smart Car meets regulations but a Ford GT does not?

Hi Chuck - The "certain amount of force" that I mentioned in mosts tests is directly proportional to the weight of the car. There is more kinetic energy to absorb in a box that weighs 1600 lbs compared to 3400 lbs travelling at speed. Just like the newest roof crush test, the amount needed to pass is 2.5 X vehicle weight. Therefore, for either car design to pass the new regulations, the Smart Car roof would need to contend with 4000 lbs and a Ford GT roof would have to survive under 8500 lbs. :omg: Previous regulation was only 1.5 times the vehicle weight for roof crush. It's a challenge to design a car stronger while trying not to make it heavier.
Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery