What was I thinking????

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had the urge to get a Gen3. I found a Black 05 with 6,500 miles on it with what I considered a good price. The plan was to sell my 94 and put the money towards a loan for the difference in the Gen3. I called the seller and played Viper dumb, not letting on I had a Viper. I asked all the "newbe" questions and got all the right answes. OK this guy seems knowledgeable. I arrived at the sellers house and he opened the garage and there it was all shiney and clean. I have driven a few Gen3's and love them. I got in the car and admired all the "modern conviences" power windows, a top the goes up and down without having to be put it together or take it apart (dreading the part that you have to put it together again) and expending a few four letter words in the process, exceptional brakes, 500 HP,an A/C system that actually works etc. The owner asked if I would care to take it for a drive "Well H@ll Yeah". I behaved myself and did normal driving, car drove well, no squeaks, no rattles, no apparent problems. We discussed the price and he came a few thousand off the asking price....the deal gets better. On the way home I started thinking about my Gen1. From the first time I drove it to the day I brought it home. Getting caught in the rain with the top in the trunk, Bugging Chuck Tator when problems arose on the car, seeking his advice (Thanks Chuck for all the help) because there isn't a dealer around here who knows how to work on Vipers. Removing the Vipermania widows and putting them in trunk and out of the trunk. The attention the car gets when driven.
I went to the garage when I got home and there was my Gen1. Viper Red with Pearl White Stripes. No frills, no bells and whistles just a driving car. I perfer the lines of the Gen 1 and 2's as compared to the Gen3's.
It was a hard decision but I decided to keep my Gen1 and keep on "roughing it" until I can save enough pennies to just flat out buy a Gen3 and become a two Viper family. The Gen1 Viper...birth of a Legend.

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to admit, those Gen 1 and 2's are tough looking. This is my first Viper but It was those legends that made me a fan.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But of Course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck Yes! I looked at many Gen 3s at lower prices than my Gen 2 before buying the Gen 2. But now, the Gen 4.... Hmm. Still not the jaw dropping legend, but DAMN close. DAMN nice car.

But, I'll keep my Gen 2. :D Of course, If I get a Gen 4 for Xmas, I will be ecstatic. :rolaugh:

Chopper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck Yes! I looked at many Gen 3s at lower prices than my Gen 2 before buying the Gen 2. But now, the Gen 4.... Hmm. Still not the jaw dropping legend, but DAMN close. DAMN nice car.

But, I'll keep my Gen 2. :D Of course, If I get a Gen 4 for Xmas, I will be ecstatic. :rolaugh:

Hey, tell Santa, after he drops that load at your house to drop one at mine.:)

The Great One

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the SRTs but nothing will ever look as good as the Gen I/II Viper does. For that reason, my first Viper will most likely be a GTS. :headbang:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the GTS's style obviously but I must say those Gen 4's ..... in the right color....stunning!

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the Gen 3's too but still like the look of the Gen 2 better. We were out the other night with my Viper and a buddy with his Gen 3 and a few guys came up and were asking questions. He asked if mine was for sale and I said no but my buddies car is.... He looked at it and said no thanks. He likes the GTS style better. My wife was with me and admitedly knows nothing about cars and on the way home I asked her how she liked the silver Viper ( my buddies Gen 3 ). She looked at me puzzled and said.. That was a Viper? I thought it was a Corvette?..... OUCH. I guess I wont be getting a Gen 3 for a while..LOL..

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Love all Vipers, but once I fill out my Gen II collection I'll likely get a Gen IV in ACR flavor, then an '06 blue on white VCA edition and twin turbo it, then lastly add an early Gen I because I know I'll drive it least.....only because of how it changed the automotive world. Yep, owning a single Viper warps ones mind in a great way.....thankfully I don't have a "better half" trying to keep me sane... Hahahahahaha!

Regards,
Aaron

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would have no interest in Gen3 and 4, except they used the Gen2 GTS rear end on the 06 and up coupes. I may buy one when I wear my GTS out in a few years, maybe.

GTS still my favorite by a long way though.

Ted