Why go from a 17" to an 18" wheel?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why go from a 17\" to an 18\" wheel?

I am curious as to the benefit if any of the larger diameter wheel? I see many pre '99 cars putting on 18" wheels and was wondering what the benefit is of the added size.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why go from a 17

Looks? It may cool the brakes btter, that I can not confirm. I know with the stock 17s those calipers do not have much breathing room.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cheaper tyres and look like they fill the wheel arch more even though they don't,Or is that just me?..
Baz

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Looks a little better... Less tire flex, so better handling too. 17's or smaller are better for the 1/4 track though. Viper baz uk- I don't think 18's are cheaper though. More expensive actually.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seem to remember a UK member saying they were cheaper(over here)...Could be wrong though

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks: look at the pictures in my photo gallery (page 2)
Also, aren't 17" Pilots tires very hard to get? 18's are plentiful.
Later,

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Only reason I can think of to go from the 17" to the 18" wheel is because either 1) you like the looks of certain 18" wheels, and/or 2) you need the 1/2" more room to handle larger rotors/calipers.

My personal favorite stock Viper wheel from a looks standpoint is the 18" "wide-five-spoke" wheel they start putting on in '98 or '99. I wanted to buy a set of these for my '95 RT when they came out, but spending around $4500 (wheels AND tires) for just looks didn't fit into my budget. I was able to finally get them with my '00 RT.

HOWEVER, from what I understand, the "wide-five-spoke" 18" stock Viper wheel offers significantly less brake cooling than the old 17" "narrow-five-spoke" and GenI three-spoke wheels, which is really only an issue on the track. And, if you have an '01 or '02 with ABS, you can't use a 17" wheel anyway without shaving at least one bolt off, which probably isn't an option.

I use a set of GenII 17" "narrow-five-spoke" wheels for my track tires, partly because 1) I had them already, 2) the tires are cheaper than their 18" models, and 3) because of the aforementioned brake cooling issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang