Will this devalue my car?

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a Silver 99 GTS ACR that has a salvage title because it was in an accident. It is in the body shop now to straighten out the hood and front fascia. I want to put stripes on the car because to me that epitomizes what I think a viper should look like. Silver came with blue stripes in 99 which I like, but am seriously thinking about black stripes. I know this will look great, but am wodering what will happen if, and when I want to sell the car. Not being a "stock" combination, will this seriously devalue the car- or since it already has a salvage title does that not really matter?

Thanks for your input!
Garwood

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're kidding, right?! The fact that it has a salvage title does it in, Do what makes YOU happy. Salvage cars tend to bring about 60% of what a clear title car typically brings.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMHO, with the salvage title do what you want. The person who will buy it later if you sell it is not looking for a pristine car. If it looks good and you keep it simple with mods you should get a good price relative to what you paid for it.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're kidding, right?! The fact that it has a salvage title does it in, Do what make YOU happy. Salvage cars tend to bring about 60% of what a clear title car typically brings.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Put whatever color stripes you want, it won't matter at all.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is waht I thought - I just didn't want to make a serious mistake

Thanks Guys
Garwood

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This could hurt your resale

You must be registered for see images

That and the fact that it was up for sale for $220.000! :p

About your stripes, put them on and don't worry about it. If you are nervous about how it will look you can always make some vinyl stripes to try it out.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed, just do them in vinyl. You can always peal them off (if the paint sticks good).

Now back to the hijack.

1984 Honda Civic wagon

A flamingo riding a dolphin like a surf board.

Dolphin + sea turtle + manatee + coral fish = :headbang:

RB185AFM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My client ownes the lambo with the dophins. Ahh it is horrible. Any way I bought a perfect 2000 GTS yesterday and still put stripes on it as I dont care about resale. I bought this car to enjoy and I love the stripes.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I say stripe it. As Casey said, if you use vinyl stripes, you can always remove them at a later date.
For something a little different, on the silver cars I have always liked steel gray stripes.

4780MVC-005F-med.JPG

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone verify the measurements of the stripes. I have read that they are 8" with a 4.75 gap.

Thanks
Gary

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garwood:
Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for your car? If you don't want to say, that's fine. I will understand.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seen a while ago someone on here had a thin set of pin stripes along side the standard stripes. I think that it looked great.

Next thing what the *** is with all the dophins? Is there some message in this that is over my head?

Patrick Mathias.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ACR Joe's car (below), I believe he was the first to use the combo:

233.jpg

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with steel grey stripes as I think they go the best with the silver exterior. I also ordered chrome badges as I think that will pick up on the colors. Can anyone give me the width and spacing on the stripes. I think it is 8" with 4.75 space between them but I am not sure.
Thanks
Gary

cobramadness

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I say stripe it. As Casey said, if you use vinyl stripes, you can always remove them at a later date.
For something a little different, on the silver cars I have always liked steel gray stripes.

4780MVC-005F-med.JPG

That looks beautiful!

On a side note, what is it with Dolphins and Lambos?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Garwood:
Just out of curiosity, what did you pay for your car? If you don't want to say, that's fine. I will understand.

IIRC he paid $27.5k. Call me crazy but that is a fantasitc deal if it drives straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960