With a SAD heart, I must say goodbye to the Viper World

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All,
It is with a sad heart,:mad: that I must say goodbye to 7 1/2 years of fun and enjoyment to the Viper World. I had a crash as a result of a right rear tire failure, and did so much damage that it is not feasible to fix it. The insurance company totalled the car, and I had the option to buy it back. The amount of cash left over would not repair the car without quite a lot of extra funds, which we do not have.
Damage, included hood, front fascia, side sill, rear bumper, passenger door, 2 wheels, a twisted / bent frame, and complete paint job, and LOTS of labor. The top bolts were also sheered off where it connects to the loop.

I was making a right, high speed turn, and the right rear tire failed, and kept me turning right into a concrete barrier. The right rear knuckle, which holds the rear toe link also broke.
So, this is the end of an era that has been enjoyable, fun, and I have a room full of trophies and wall plaques from numerous car shows.
What is next, I don't know, but am certain will need something for a 'project', and fun.

I will be listing some parts and extras for sale, as soon as I can put it all together.

My membership is valid to the end of the year, so I hope you will allow me to continue to offer remarks on subjects I might know about.

Feel free to Email me. :2tu:

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THATS *****:omg:!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Real sorry to here this but glad you are OK:2tu:...
That was a stunning RT as well:(.....

Sad Baz

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn damn damn. I'm so sorry to hear. Yours was always my favorite 96' RT/10! I loved how it looked with the enhancements you had made to it. Sounds like you won't be looking for another Viper?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sorry to hear of your loss! What a heartbreak! I hope you someday make it back into a Viper or some fun toy! The good news is that you are OK!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes, the Vipers are dropping like flies lately, what is this the third in a week?
Good luck in the future!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
............ I had a crash as a result of a right rear tire failure... .....I was making a right, high speed turn, and the right rear tire failed, and kept me turning right into a concrete barrier.........

Don, after all these years, (and enjoying your business for all of them, thanks) why not use this as a motive to get a Gen 2 or 3 ? I know you loved the G1, but there are some stunning Viper deals available right now, including WHITE!
Become an ENTHUSIAST if yiou must....Your comments here after 7+ years will be VALUABLE to newbees and owners alike. Dont be a stranger. {I dont think this site automatically 'downgrades' your AVTAR, does it?) How would they know ?!?

I am mystified that a RIGHT REAR failed in a Right turn. When turning RIGHT, the loaded, vulnerable tire is the LEFT tire. Unless you encountered a road hazard on that side.Did the INNER tread or sidewall of the tire fail? I am going to postulate that your tires are 6+ years old? Your straight tire talk might help another owner choose to be careful........

If I can help you with invoices / verify purchases, drop me a note. But DO CONSIDER ANOTHER VIPER???

Last edited:

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems every year around this time a bunch of vipers get totalled. I am going to guess some of these, maybe not this one, but a good portion of them are caused by old and cold tires. The streets are colder and the old tires which may have been good all summer long are not good now. Let's remember 1) Keep good new rubber on your car and 2) take it easy when the temps start to drop.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, Glad you're safe. I always enjoyed reading your informative post. I will miss your car. It was great to see another w/b being driven like it was meant to be.

I'll be keeping an eye out for anything you post that could go with my w/b 96. I hope the insurance company took car of you.

Please get another one! I cannot imagine you living without a Viper. Gen IIIs make great track cars!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After all the exchanges we've had, Don, this hits me personally. Ouch. You've been a terrific example of someone having fun in all manner of ways with you car.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, Don, very very sorry to hear of your loss. PLEASE continue to contribute to the forums...as hopefully you will be able to get yourself another Viper someday. RIP '96 RT/10 VIPURR. Hoping there were no injuries to yourself, you didn't say? ALL my best...juli

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of another Viper down :( At the end of the day at least your ok. You could cheer yourself up with one of these :D

You must be registered for see images
:omg: OK, OK I know its not a Viper, but I got the feeling you were looking for a change ;)

:uk: :usa:
:headbang:

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That FGT is definately a threat to the Viper in my garage. Must not entertain thoughts regarding a relationship with it after all I've been through with my Viper.
But seriousely, why would you say goodbye now that Vipers cost so much cheaper then when you said hello?

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, I was very sad to read your post. I am glad you are OK. You have been a great help to me in advice and instruction on the track. I am hoping to continue seeing you around here, and I really hope you can come up with another Viper.

emo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don, Sorry to hear this sad news. Your car was my favorite 96 RT/10 of all time and I hope you are doing well. I hope you will keep posting because I have learned quite a bit from you over the years.

Take care.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your car. What a beautiful car. I loved the way you extended the stripes front and back, but my favorite part was always the American flags on the sides. I hate to see another white/blue go away, obviously my favorite color combo. Seems like that and my second favorite, the bumblebee and rapidly becoming extinct lately.

Get another one, you'll miss it too much. I bought this car with the intention of keeping it for six months then dumping it for the next hobby. Two years later and I can't imagine not having one in the garage.

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don,

I'm so sorry for what happened to you. You were the only WA VCA guy I have 110% respect for. I'm happy your ok, sorry for you loss. If you are ever in Orlando, give me a call and you can drive my ACR anytime. You helped me out tons as a Viper noob.

Respectfully,

Disturbed

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ah, Don, very very sorry to hear of your loss. PLEASE continue to contribute to the forums...as hopefully you will be able to get yourself another Viper someday. RIP '96 RT/10 VIPURR. Hoping there were no injuries to yourself, you didn't say? ALL my best...juli

Absolutely.. sorry to hear of your accident, PLEASE continue to be part of the Viper NATION ! Once a Viper nut, ALWAYS.. it's an incurable infliction !

Mark

Denny Wagner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Don....why aren't you exercising thr "right to replacement vehicle" clause on your insurance policy??? Simply demand that they replace your car with an LKQ (like kind & quality) vehicle. The only $$$ you should be out is your deductable!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang