Yellow Vipers are faster

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropping by to say hi, and to make sure everybody remembers the all-important mantra, Yellow Vipers Are Faster.

I recently dynoed the creampuff and after getting the VEC1 right, it made 422 RWHP and and 456 RWTQ. I always thought everybody used a flywheel-to-RWHP fudge factor of about 12% for Vipers, but most guys I asked said 15%, and the shop I was at insisted on 20%. Going with 15%, that gives me a comfortable 500 HP even. Not bad for a creampuff.

At the time the car had the rear muffler cut off, tubes & filters, Bosch Platinum Plus-4 plugs, MSD 8mm wires, and the VEC1. After the dyno day I also removed the cats and added Sean's cat sims and the power difference was very noticable, so I'm definitely putting more to the ground than 422 RWHP now. Plus the car literally shakes with the cam at idle now, which is a cool little benefit, and the sound is easily as good as any aftermarket system I've heard yet (it seems identical to a Borla system). I do want to try adding an H-pipe, but other than that, I'm satisfied.

Even more importantly, after making these changes I did my first "real" track day at Sebring this past weekend (real as compared to Ray-Sing Skool, as Pemberton says, or the oddly-rushed Nashville Speedway experience at VOI). Thanks to Chuck Babel for nagging me about this until I finally did it, and thanks to SAFE Motorsports for having such a great and affordable track program. If you're in Florida or maybe even southern Georgia, hit that link and consider joining.

If you want to watch me spin out (3.5 MB), go here, or if you want to watch one lap (7.5 MB) go here. Please right-click the link and download the file locally, rather than trying to run it directly. My friend hosts my wife's site for free so the bandwidth is so-so (it's his development setup, not production) and I'd prefer everybody pull the files down once. (We all know you'll want to thrill to my m4d dr1ving skillz again and again.)

So what have the rest of you misfits (just the misfits, please) been up to?

([******] these new emoticons are god-awful cutesy...)

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
195100_0281a.JPG

:D

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's this? Do I hear a gathering of my fellow-yellow brothers? jimandela, are you ready to take roll?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: Yellow Vipers are faster - than yellow vettes

Yellow Vipers are faster .... than yellow vettes.

but with other Vipers, well....

The setup: Half Mile flat, straight run on a closed (not public highway)area.

The Vipers:
<ul type="square"> [*]Red Rt/10 Gen 2 with headers &amp; exhaust [*]____ RT/10 Gen 1 stock [*]Black RT/10 Gen 1 headers &amp; Arrow rebuild [*]Yellow ACR Gen 2 Stock [*]Blue GTS Gen 2 Stock [/list]

Lots of runs but there can be only one. The <font color="blue"> BLUE Viper</font> finished ahead of every other color in every run. Even when it got a bad start and was down by 2 car lengths early on, by the half mile it finished in the lead.

Just an observation and a lot of fun :cool:

a search key is a terrible thing to waste

GTS Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers-422 RWHP

McGuireV10 said
"Going with 15%, that gives me a comfortable 500 HP even. Not bad for a creampuff."

422 RWHP + 63.3 (15%)=485.3 RWHP not 500 HP even.

again great numbers either way

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers-422 RWHP

McGuireV10 said
"Going with 15%, that gives me a comfortable 500 HP even. Not bad for a creampuff."

422 RWHP + 63.3 (15%)=485.3 RWHP not 500 HP even.

again great numbers either way

sorry but here is the right formula rwhp/(.85) so :

422/.85 =496.4 not 500 HP even,but its yellow so add 4hp 500.4 HP :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would anyone know you candyass's yellow Vipers are fast? Besides McGuire and a crazy 'Serious' Texan all you yellow sissys are too busy with your 'Zaino affairs' to ever flog a berm with your pretty creampuffs.

That's ok, deep down you know your place - the driveway.

Seriously, by all means, join www.SAFEMotorsports.com NO RUN GROUPS!!! Which means six hours of track time in ONE DAY!!! For less $$$ than any other club.

Thanks for coming out Jon. Sebring again July 12.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry REAL MEN DRIVE RED VIPERS PERIOD, when yellow vipers see the red one's they run for the hills and cry.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm.... A member in our region is running SCCA in his 2001 YELLOW creampuff. He's gutted and caged his car. In his first race at VIR this year he was only .8 seconds off the track record.....

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chuck...

There once was a driver from Tampa
Who considered the red Viper the best.
He would boast that he raced
With the the fastest of pace,
And continually beat on his chest.

One day a creampuff appeared,
It was yellow and fast and feared,
Chuck mashed on the pedal
As in pushed to the metal,
To see the checkered flag so near.

Red versus Yellow
was a sight to behold
But alas, when the race was done
The yellow had won
And the Red was considered less bold.

This story is true
We've all seen it before.
The Red Viper was fast
But the Yellow was more....faster :D

C"The Poet"Stegall

P.S.
Chuck,
The yellow Viper is faster
Oh yes, it's true
But I bought a red SRT
So I wouldn't p_ss of you :cool:

S

SUN RA KAT

Y'all knew I'd be here at this Yellow Thread. But ya didn't know that I wouldn't be throwin' down any smack at the other colored Vipers here. I would be happy to have any other colored Viper over any other kind of car. My Yellow Viper is the fastest Viper I've ever driven and the best taken care of Viper, too. My other drive in a Viper was an ex-drug dealer's blue &amp; white striped GTS that was not taken care of that I was inspecting for a prospective buyer from out of state. OK, so I've only driven 2 Vipers, but the Yellow Viper was the faster of the two. At Viper Days at Mid Ohio the top 3 finishers in the race all had large amounts of Yellow on them and they pretty much ran away from the rest of the cars there. They were also the PVO Competition Coupes, too. But they still had a large amount of Yellow on them. The other colors with the Yellow were White, Black, and Purple. But seeing how my Yellow Viper was the fastest car in the Rookie group and I usually was the slowest car there, I suspect that the driver has more to do with which Viper is faster rather than color.

So now the question is, "Why are the fastest drivers choosing Yellow for their Vipers?"

With the exception of me, of course.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; my Red Viper makes nearly 800 at the wheels. I think your theory is flawed...

Don't make me join this thread, kids :laugh:

S

SUN RA KAT

colored Viper

THAT'S politically incorrect!

O.K. How's this? -

Oriental Vipers are faster.
Some Native American Vipers have over 800 HP.
Caucasion Vipers are GT2s.
Black Vipers can also be called Afro-American Vipers.
Vipers with stripes are Mutants.
Vipers with other colors are politically incorrect since there are no
politically correct terms to describe them.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treynor, you don't count. Besides, I think someome told me your viper was originally red, but you painted it yellow.

ronviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT the RED VIPERS scare the h-ly shilt out of the YELLOW VIPERS they just have to run fast or take a BEATING.Fright is a catalyst, think if you were a yellow viper and saw a NASTY RED VIPER glaring at you. I'm sure you would run like hades.

S

SUN RA KAT

ronviper posts -
SUN RA KAT the RED VIPERS scare the h-ly shilt out of the YELLOW VIPERS they just have to run fast or take a BEATING.Fright is a catalyst, think if you were a yellow viper and saw a NASTY RED VIPER glaring at you. I'm sure you would run like hades.

So that's why my Viper runs so fast. All this time I thought it was the Roe Supercharger. :rolleyes:

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This story is true
We've all seen it before.
The Red Viper was fast
But the Yellow was more....faster"

But alas he awoke
for it was all a dream
for when it comes to fast vipers
the color is "Green".

Chuck 98 RT/10