0 to 120 in snap! Please help

vvvviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya know, at first I thought it was my imagination. Once in a while I'd be sitting at a light and I'd swear the speedo would flick up to 100+. Today I caught it! I was actually looking right at the speedometer while sitting at a light at idle, and watched the needle flick up to 120 mph right infront of my very eyes.

Car is still under factory warranty although I figure an item like this may be covered on extended also. Is this an electrical issue? Short curcuit? If not, what could it be? Any particular urgency to go in and get this looked at? Any danger in having this continue for the time being or should I push up a service date? Your input is much appreciated.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO!!!! ESP,,,,,, some cars do have a mind of their own!!! :eek: Has to be the speed sensor is crappy, should be under warranty. :D

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the speedo flick past 100MPH before I knew what was going on, but that's one of the things that I like about the Viper. ;)

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does your viper have a speedometer recalibration box installed? I've installed gear sets in the past and had the older Specmo boxes exhibit blips like the one your describing.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The speedo takes an electrical signal from the computer. It is possible you have a short, do you have stock rear end gears?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Had same problem on a Ferrari...solved that one with a new battery...please let us know what you find is the cause/solution.