05 Heffner Twin Turbo SRT-10 Coming To Completion

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The project is coming to a completion. Hopefully, I’ll be driving the beast this month, May.
I thought it will be better to start a new thread at this time. I’ll post the pictures here when I get them.

Here is the list of what I have in the Viper.
* Stainless Steel and Ceramic Coated 1 3/4" Stainless Steel Turbo Headers
* Stainless Steel and Ceramic Coated 3" Turbo Downpipes stepping to 4”
* Twin Innovative Turbo Systems GT72-BB Dual Ball Bearing, Ceramic coated and water cooled turbos with 0.96 A/R and S Cover
* Twin Tial 46 mm external wastegates
* Twin Turbonetics Godzilla Blow off valves
* Heffner Twin Turbo Stage 3 Plumbing, etc.
* Front mounted air to air intercooler
* AEM Engine Management system
* Weldon 2345A Fuel Pump
* Weldon Dial-A-Flow Pump controller
* Weldon twin external inlet and outlet fuel filters
* Extruded Aluminum fuel rails
* RC Engineering 75 lb/hr injectors
* Custom Magnaflow 6" round race series mufflers
* 522 CID forged shortblock
* Billet main caps
* ARP main studs
* Crower Billet steel connecting rods
* CP Forged pistons
* Stage 3 Heads
* Quaife Differential with stock gearing
* Mark Williams halfshafts
* McLeod Twin Disc Clutch with McLeod Flywheel
* Custom hydraulic roller camshaft
* T&D 1.7 Roller Rockers
* Chromoly pushrods
* Heavy duty hydraulic roller lifters
* SRT-10 Comp Coupe Race oil pan and pickup assembly
* SRT-10 Comp Coupe Solid Steering Gear Mounts
* SRT-10 Comp Coupe High-Durometer Transmission Mount
* Magnecor KV85 Competition 8.5mm ignition cables
* Teamtech 6 point race harness for driver and passenger
* Moton Club Sport Coil Over Suspension
* Eibach 700 lb/in Front and 900 lb/in Rear springs (Road Race setup)
* Autoform Viper SRT-10 Hard Top
* G-Force Transmission
* Blitz SBC I-Color setup
* Blitz dual turbo timer
* Stewart Warner shift light
* Philips HID Fog Lights and HID High Beams (yeah, I can’t see)
* EBC slotted rotors
* Complete Custom Wheel - CCW 505A 18x10 & 18x13 wheels
* Rear - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 345/30 YR 18
* Front - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 295/30 YR 18
* Rear - BFG Drag Radial 345/30 YR 18

There’s bunch of other things that I didn’t put here. Probably just the outside body and inside of the car remained unchanged. Wait I have a hardtop and some interior stuff too.

What RWHP and RWTQ do you guys think it will put down? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOly shmolly! :D

I'd say you better get some Kumhos and learn quickly how to ROLL into IT! :headbang:

I'd say you will throw down 1175rwhp! But I always get lost above 1000! :D

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'd say you better get some Kumhos and learn quickly how to ROLL into IT! :headbang:

Kumhos are back ordered forever. I went with Michelin Sport Cups. They are nice road race tires too. :2tu:

With the AEM Engine Management running the engine 1xxx RWHP / 1xxx RWTQ becomes easier to handle cause you don’t put all the power down in the 1st gear.
For example, AEM will be programmed to put down
1st Gear – 600 RWHP
2nd Gear – 800 RWHP
3rd Gear – 950 RWHP
4th Gear – 1200 RWHP
5th Gear – All you have
6th Gear – All you have

Much easier to handle on the track and on the street. Who needs 1,200 RWHP in 1st gear anyway?
:headbang: :headbang:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My car is set up similarly but with a Paxton, different forged internals, Stryker heads and 530 cid. Tune is not finalized yet (AEM) but we are expecting 950 to 1000 rwhp at about 9 psi on pump gas. During it's initial dyno runs it made 800 rwhp at 5000 rpm without a tune (with a base map). Redline is about 6500 and the power really shoots up in the last 1000 rpm with the Paxton.

I will probably order the Mark Williams half shafts shortly.

The PS Cups aren't very good with anything above stock power.

The Toyo RA1's would be the next best tire to the Kumho Ecsta V-700's (which are being phased out I believe) for the street / track.

I also like the Nitto Drag radials for the street. The BFG's work well for the drags, but aren't too good for the street and don't last very long.

I understand your comment, 0 hp, 0 tq right now. I just got my car back after 5 months. It was a ****** to say the least.

When you do get the car, it will be difficult to stop smiling.

If you ever get down into south Orange County, look me up.

Good luck,

Dan

:2tu:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear it is almost done! Also glad to hear you went with the weldon. Good choice there.

You will be limited by the 75lb fuel injectors... Don't be disappointed if you don't hit 1200hp.

If you want to make sick power, gotta step up those injectors to 95lb or above.

At 1200rwhp, my 95lb injectors were close to 75% duty cycle... And anything above 80% is bad.

JD

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is set up similarly but with a Paxton, different forged internals, Stryker heads and 530 cid. Tune is not finalized yet (AEM) but we are expecting 950 to 1000 rwhp at about 9 psi on pump gas. During it's initial dyno runs it made 800 rwhp at 5000 rpm without a tune (with a base map). Redline is about 6500 and the power really shoots up in the last 1000 rpm with the Paxton.

I will probably order the Mark Williams half shafts shortly.

The PS Cups aren't very good with anything above stock power.

The Toyo RA1's would be the next best tire to the Kumho Ecsta V-700's (which are being phased out I believe) for the street / track.

I also like the Nitto Drag radials for the street. The BFG's work well for the drags, but aren't too good for the street and don't last very long.

I understand your comment, 0 hp, 0 tq right now. I just got my car back after 5 months. It was a ****** to say the least.

When you do get the car, it will be difficult to stop smiling.

If you ever get down into south Orange County, look me up.

Good luck,

Dan

:2tu:

Thanks Dan.

At what psi did you make 800 RWHP at 5,000 rpm?
I believe you are running cats in your exhaust system. I think at 1,000 RWHP those cats will burn up or fail at some time. You might want to consider ditching the cats..

As for the tires, they are the limiting factor. I am still thinking if Hoosier road racing tires can be used on the street...

I'll definitely let you know if I come down to LA with the Viper.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad to hear it is almost done! Also glad to hear you went with the weldon. Good choice there.

You will be limited by the 75lb fuel injectors... Don't be disappointed if you don't hit 1200hp.

At 1200rwhp, my 95lb injectors were close to 75% duty cycle... And anything above 80% is bad.

JD

Joseph,
Thanks a lot for all the help and input. I think I'll be happy with the Weldon 2345A and Weldon Dial-A-Flow setup.

Your Viper is supercharged and your need for fuel is more than my twin turbo setup.
Regardless if after all these expensive parts, it comes down to injector sizing, I will go with 96 lb/hr or 104 lb/hr injectors and run a AEM injector driver box.

Last time I talked to Heffner about this, Jason said he was able to flow more volume in a lower pressure setup. He said 75lb/hr's should do it.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you guys explain how your can get over 1000 RWHP on pump gas 93 Oct??

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you guys explain how your can get over 1000 RWHP on pump gas 93 Oct??

That's a long story. I'm not the most technical guy to answer this question in a detailed way but it's doable with the correct twin turbo setup.

There is an event called Pump Gas Drags and there are a lot of cars here running well above 1,000 RWHP on pump gas...
Look here http://hotrod.com/eventcoverage/113_pump_gas_drags_field_cars/

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It’s not that long of a story, just physics. I am assuming the 113 in “113 pump gas drags” mean 113 octane? 113 Octane is not really pumped gas, not even close. On 113 you can get close to 15:1 CR for NA motors!! The correct set up is obviously critical. More boost equals less compression equals more timing equals no detonation equals more HP. The fuel octane is the limiting factor in that equation and you can’t change that. Running water injection can have a big effect on this though, now the story gets longer.

The Gen2 guys have done a lot heavy duty mods and those guys know a lot about all this stuff and defiantly have real experience. I am not looking for an argument, I just think the expectations are getting a little ahead of reality.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It’s not that long of a story, just physics. I am assuming the 113 in “113 pump gas drags” mean 113 octane? 113 Octane is not really pumped gas, not even close. On 113 you can get close to 15:1 CR for NA motors!! The correct set up is obviously critical. More boost equals less compression equals more timing equals no detonation equals more HP. The fuel octane is the limiting factor in that equation and you can’t change that. Running water injection can have a big effect on this though, now the story gets longer.

The Gen2 guys have done a lot heavy duty mods and those guys know a lot about all this stuff and defiantly have real experience. I am not looking for an argument, I just think the expectations are getting a little ahead of reality.

Your assumption is wrong. 113 is just a number they used for their link, doesn't mean anything. Pump gas means pump gas. 93 Octane pump gas.

Heffner had Chad's GEN2 Viper running 8.xx secs on pump gas at the previous Pump Gas Drags and this year SVS will be running their Viper TTRS. Both these Vipers are putting down over 1,000 RWHP on 93 octane pump gas.

There are a lot of variables that affect the max RWHP on pump gas. Please contact Heffner's Performance to get details on how to achieve 1,000 RWHP on pump gas.

PS : I'm not running water/methanol injection in my car.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the AEM management aspect of being able to control the power in each gear.
So many times I've seen street performance cars that have so much power that they overwhelm the tires in every gear. And are actually slower than cars with far less power. :confused:

It will be interesting to see how well this car can hook up with the Sport Cup tires, and how long the tires last on the street. :2tu:

The other big issue that hasn't been mentioned here is smog testing. I noticed that you are in the Bay Area, and I wonder how you get past both the visual smog inspections (with two huge turbos installed) and through the smog test that gets tougher each year (with smog dynos).

I've mostly seen 91 octane premium gas here, although (for more money) there are a couple local 100 octane gas stations nearby. I figure that the AEM can deal with the different octane gas as well. :cool:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The AEM is even better than what y'all are mentioning. you can control things based on speed as well. So you can say that at 55mph you are running 9psi but at 60mph you are running 12, at 90 we shoot to 15 and at 105 we go for ***. and anything with the AEM can be triggered based on speed, temp, etc... you name the combination you can do it.

I've changed my tone from VEC 2 to VEC WHO???"

:)

JD

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The project is coming to a completion. Hopefully, I’ll be driving the beast this month, May.
I thought it will be better to start a new thread at this time. I’ll post the pictures here when I get them.

Here is the list of what I have in the Viper.
* Stainless Steel and Ceramic Coated 1 3/4" Stainless Steel Turbo Headers
* Stainless Steel and Ceramic Coated 3" Turbo Downpipes stepping to 4”
* Twin Innovative Turbo Systems GT72-BB Dual Ball Bearing, Ceramic coated and water cooled turbos with 0.96 A/R and S Cover
* Twin Tial 46 mm external wastegates
* Twin Turbonetics Godzilla Blow off valves
* Heffner Twin Turbo Stage 3 Plumbing, etc.
* Front mounted air to air intercooler
* AEM Engine Management system
* Weldon 2345A Fuel Pump
* Weldon Dial-A-Flow Pump controller
* Weldon twin external inlet and outlet fuel filters
* Extruded Aluminum fuel rails
* RC Engineering 75 lb/hr injectors
* Custom Magnaflow 6" round race series mufflers
* 522 CID forged shortblock
* Billet main caps
* ARP main studs
* Crower Billet steel connecting rods
* CP Forged pistons
* Stage 3 Heads
* Quaife Differential with stock gearing
* Mark Williams halfshafts
* McLeod Twin Disc Clutch with McLeod Flywheel
* Custom hydraulic roller camshaft
* T&D 1.7 Roller Rockers
* Chromoly pushrods
* Heavy duty hydraulic roller lifters
* SRT-10 Comp Coupe Race oil pan and pickup assembly
* SRT-10 Comp Coupe Solid Steering Gear Mounts
* SRT-10 Comp Coupe High-Durometer Transmission Mount
* Magnecor KV85 Competition 8.5mm ignition cables
* Teamtech 6 point race harness for driver and passenger
* Moton Club Sport Coil Over Suspension
* Eibach 700 lb/in Front and 900 lb/in Rear springs (Road Race setup)
* Autoform Viper SRT-10 Hard Top
* G-Force Transmission
* Blitz SBC I-Color setup
* Blitz dual turbo timer
* Stewart Warner shift light
* Philips HID Fog Lights and HID High Beams (yeah, I can’t see)
* EBC slotted rotors
* Complete Custom Wheel - CCW 505A 18x10 & 18x13 wheels
* Rear - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 345/30 YR 18
* Front - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 295/30 YR 18
* Rear - BFG Drag Radial 345/30 YR 18

There’s bunch of other things that I didn’t put here. Probably just the outside body and inside of the car remained unchanged. Wait I have a hardtop and some interior stuff too.

What RWHP and RWTQ do you guys think it will put down? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

...make mental note NOT to race red SRT's in SF!

Awesome setup... for a nerd. ;)

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the AEM management aspect of being able to control the power in each gear.
So many times I've seen street performance cars that have so much power that they overwhelm the tires in every gear. And are actually slower than cars with far less power. :confused:

It will be interesting to see how well this car can hook up with the Sport Cup tires, and how long the tires last on the street. :2tu:

The other big issue that hasn't been mentioned here is smog testing. I noticed that you are in the Bay Area, and I wonder how you get past both the visual smog inspections (with two huge turbos installed) and through the smog test that gets tougher each year (with smog dynos).

I've mostly seen 91 octane premium gas here, although (for more money) there are a couple local 100 octane gas stations nearby. I figure that the AEM can deal with the different octane gas as well. :cool:

In California, you don't need to smog your car for 5 years if you bought it brand new and I bought my 05 SRT-10 brand new.
The turbos are nowhere to be seen under the hood. Also, there are some "Smog friendly" shops in the Bay Area.

I would use nothing but 100 Octane unleaded if it were available everywhere. 91 Octane premium gas in the Bay Area is $3.49 per gallon and the 100 Octane unleaded is $4.89 per gallon. I would pay the $1.40 per gallon difference any day. Availability is the problem.

With AEM by the switch of a button, I can switch to 91 Octane tune or 100 Octane tune.

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The AEM is even better than what y'all are mentioning. you can control things based on speed as well. So you can say that at 55mph you are running 9psi but at 60mph you are running 12, at 90 we shoot to 15 and at 105 we go for ***. and anything with the AEM can be triggered based on speed, temp, etc... you name the combination you can do it.

I've changed my tone from VEC 2 to VEC WHO???"

:)

JD

AEM is definitely the way to go with monster HP Viper setups. :2tu: :2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Insomniac,

I think the boost was about 6 psi at 5000 rpm for 800 rwhp. Jason of AEM was there getting the base tune in and the AEM didn't have control of the supplemental fuel pumps or the fuel pressure on that day - we do now. We had some other problems with the wiring harness and the idle speed control that have since been resolved.

We should be completing the tune this week. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I have a set of Hoosiers on Forgelines and the Hoosier road race tires don't work well on the street either. Like the PS Cups, the Hoosiers have to be very warm to become sticky and you just can't get them warm enough on the street to be effective.

If you can't find 100 octane at a gas station, and I have the same problem, I have been using a fuel supplement made by Torco that actually works. It increases your octane by 4, 5 or more numbers (not points), depending upon how much you use. In Krazy Kalifornia, we can only get 91 octane. With the Torco, you can take it to 95 or more with this supplement. It works out to quite a bit less than 100 octane gasoline and helps when you can't find it or are traveling.

Hope you get your car back soon.

Dan :headbang:

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Insomniac,

I think the boost was about 6 psi at 5000 rpm for 800 rwhp. Jason of AEM was there getting the base tune in and the AEM didn't have control of the supplemental fuel pumps or the fuel pressure on that day - we do now. We had some other problems with the wiring harness and the idle speed control that have since been resolved.

We should be completing the tune this week. I'll let you know how it comes out.

I have a set of Hoosiers on Forgelines and the Hoosier road race tires don't work well on the street either. Like the PS Cups, the Hoosiers have to be very warm to become sticky and you just can't get them warm enough on the street to be effective.

If you can't find 100 octane at a gas station, and I have the same problem, I have been using a fuel supplement made by Torco that actually works. It increases your octane by 4, 5 or more numbers (not points), depending upon how much you use. In Krazy Kalifornia, we can only get 91 octane. With the Torco, you can take it to 95 or more with this supplement. It works out to quite a bit less than 100 octane gasoline and helps when you can't find it or are traveling.

Hope you get your car back soon.

Dan :headbang:

Thanks Dan.

There is a place at Woodside that sells Unleaded 100 Octane race gas and I use that even for my daily driver Audi A4 :) Also, the gas station at Infenion (formerly known as Sears Point) sells all kinds of gas including 118 octane leaded. Unfortunately the max octane unleaded they have is also 100 Octane unleaded.

I used to have a supercharged Z06 previous to the Viper and I have used Torco. jbsblownc5 at corvetteforum sells it. I'm sure you know him as he's in South Cali too. Torco helps get rid of some pinging and stuff is no replacement for 100 Octane or the God allmighty C16.

I'll still order couple cans of Torco on top of the 100 Octane.

Have you used Hoosier road racing tires on the highway? Hoosier makes a road racing tire called R6 and it comes in stock Viper 345/30 - 19 size. I would change my Sports Cup setup with the Hoosier R6's in a heart beat but I would hate to blow a tire into pieces while going triple digits on the highway (highway that's closed to traffic ;) ). Let me know which tires you end up using with your setup on the highway.

Good luck.

ART

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

JD

Joseph,

Thanks for all the help and feedback on the fuel setup. I really appreciate it.
For those that don’t know, Joseph has built number of monster power Vipers and his current GEN2 twin turbo is hitting an incredible 1,380 RWHP.

I went with the Weldon 2345A and Weldon Dial-A-Flow setup following your feedback and advice.
I’ll probably go with 104 lb/hr low impedence injectors and AEM injector box after talking to Heffner. I hear what you say about the injector box but it won’t hurt to have it.

Check your PM. I need your advice on some other thing.

Thank you again Joseph.
Hope to meet in person one day.
:2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kumhos are back ordered forever. I went with Michelin Sport Cups. They are nice road race tires too. :2tu:

With the AEM Engine Management running the engine 1xxx RWHP / 1xxx RWTQ becomes easier to handle cause you don’t put all the power down in the 1st gear.
For example, AEM will be programmed to put down
1st Gear – 600 RWHP
2nd Gear – 800 RWHP
3rd Gear – 950 RWHP
4th Gear – 1200 RWHP
5th Gear – All you have
6th Gear – All you have

Much easier to handle on the track and on the street. Who needs 1,200 RWHP in 1st gear anyway?
:headbang: :headbang:

Insomniac, even without traction control, you will not make full boost in either 1st, 2nd or the 1st part of 3rd gear.

The turbos need load to make boost.

1st and 2nd are not long enough, nor tall enough to load the turbos to make full boost anyway.

==> That's the beauty of running the bigger turbos on the street: a linear power curve down low and just about all the power you could ever need up top!

OP
OP
I

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Insomniac, even without traction control, you will not make full boost in either 1st, 2nd or the 1st part of 3rd gear.

The turbos need load to make boost.

1st and 2nd are not long enough, nor tall enough to load the turbos to make full boost anyway.

==> That's the beauty of running the bigger turbos on the street: a linear power curve down low and just about all the power you could ever need up top!

I totally agree..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte