Initial Impressions: Move from Gen IV Coupe to Gen V GTS

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen V Viper was delivered last Friday. Since I just sold my Gen IV Viper Coupe I thought I would post my initial (150mi.) impressions for those who are considering the purchase of a Gen V. My car is a 2014 Yellow/Black GTS with all of the exterior carbon fiber and the leather package.

Anyway, here are my preliminary initial impressions:

1. I was hoping for a Gen V which looks a bit more like the Volado concept and had 680—700hp. That said, the Gen V shape has grown on me and I have come to really appreciate the exotic curves, etc.

2. While I have not been fully on the car because I am still in break-in, I can tell you the car is very fast and pulls like a freight train—but faster! Substantially more power for this car on the street would raise all kinds of issues. Btw, my past cars have included modded twin-turbo Supras, several modded Corvettes (including 2 Z06s), a Porsche and of course a Gen IV Viper.

3. The gearing is excellent, although I have not been at hard throttle in 5th and 6th yet. First gear in particular is—for me—far superior to first gear in my Gen IV, which was way too short. Maybe for out-of-the-hole throttle dumps a shorter first gear would be better, but I never use any of my cars that way. The first gear now is actually usable for low speed situations such as parking structures, etc.

4. The motor rpms seems to ramp up plenty quickly—the lighter flywheel? I am not sure what some reviewers were talking about in terms of slow revving.

5. The brakes are great, although I have not tracked the car to put it in a potential fade situation yet. SS lines (when available) and high temp fluid should solve any issues for me, even with OEM pads. I am not a ********* track rat.

6. The drivetrain appears to be much smoother, from the shifter to the clutch linkage, to the (relative) lack of drivetrain lash or shudder.

7. The exhaust sound is GREATLY improved! I am not sure I would switch to Corsa, etc.

8. The OEM stereo (18 speaker) is excellent by OEM standards.

9. The Laguna leather interior and the seats are spectacular! They add a very rich and exotic feel and smell to the car—and I was initially against this option due to the steep price tag. My daily driver is a 2012 BMW 550i M-Sport with Dinan tuning and M-5 Sway bars and the Viper interior is nicer and more exotic (it was also more expensive).

10. The gauge layout and interior electronics are awesome. Little things like the interior and connectivity make a substantial difference to me in terms of how often I will use the car—especially if my wife will be along. This is something I really did not realize until I experienced the difference.

11. The carbon fiber hood and rear decklid are beautiful.

12. The suspension feels great in Street, and there does appear to be a noticeable difference between that and “Race”. I will have to drive more to appreciate the overall suspension. Body roll is negligible—it corners flat.

13. The paint work appears to be excellent. I have one small blemish in the corner of one of the front hood vents (GTS hood) where there is small blob of paint, etc. but it is not worth breaking the paint over—more like a birthmark.

14. There is some black discharge discoloration on the silver exhaust surrounds. The dealer is looking into this.

15. The car feels very solid—like one piece. It feels like a precision, quality instrument.

16. The car is expensive—especially the carbon fiber bits. Even at a “deal”, these pieces are crazy expensive. It is probably good to be in that business. I would have passed on the car at MSRP, but the deals available now help bring the car into pricing line for me. I did not get the $40k + discount some have apparently received (good for you!), and I was dealing with several dealers. For me, a good deal only applies if it is on something you want. In this car, color combination, equipment, etc. I ended up buying from one of the local dealers (same one I purchased the Gen IV from) and adding the carbon fiber pieces (incoming as we speak). The new Z06 was a consideration, but I did not really want a supercharged motor and the first year of a new car. Also, the C7 Design, while daring, felt a bit cold and cobbled together to me (especially the Z06). A twin-turbo ZR1 might have been more interesting. The Gen V just fells right, and more organic.

17. I enjoy the "dance with the car" of clutching and shifting. I am sure the next car will have a DCT, but for now I like the driving experience.

Overall, this is the finest sportscar I have driven of any make. This includes the Gallardo, Ford GT, Porsche GT3, and 997 TT Porsche. We are truly lucky that we can purchase such a car and I thank Dodge/SRT, the engineers and others “who get IT” for making such a fine instrument. Long live the Viper!

NOTE: these impressions are preliminary and subject to change. I am sure some items will need adjustment, etc.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
awesome analysis and matches with my experience from a Gen3 to a Gen5. Nice to see some valuable info. I will say I think you will even be more impressed after each month you drive it.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice write up!

Your first gear in your Gen 4 was too short? Assuming this one is comparable to the GEN 3 cars, first gear looks insanely long to me...funny how people can have such different opinions on the same product. I never understood why this gear is so long, making very slow city corners in 2nd gear is normal around here, in the Viper that;s not always possible...maybe I swith the gearing to make it more suitable to my liking...

natsfan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got a Gen IV ACR and love it. Would love to have gotten a Gen V, but told myself I wouldn't spend that much money this time. I have vowed to own a Gen V one day. I love the Gen V and think its beautiful and looks like the best of both worlds; Modern day equipment and performance with Gen II styling. I can't believe all the negative posts you see on here about the Gen V not having enough HP and all the other complaints. The car is awesome and can do more than 99% of us on here will ever be able to do with a car. I'm glad to see someone enjoying the car and telling us about it.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading stuff like this makes me wanna break down and just buy one. ;)

.....then I consider my retirement and responsibilities.

:rolleyes:

Me as well. I need to get of the Viper forums, or I might do something really stupid...

Exact same feelings here. I need to stop reading these threads,or the non-intellectual side will overrule.

I am feeling lust in my heart for yellow/black.

:needpics:

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still waiting for installation of the carbon fiber. once that occurs I will figure out how to post some photos!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree...640hp is not enough ??????

The car is rear wheel drive and does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds

Close to 130 mph in the quarter

I mean jeez...its freaking fast

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming from GEN III to GEN V, difference is night and day in every aspect.

Another Gen 3 to 5 owner and extremely pleased.

The Gen 5 is also friendly and forgiving enough for motorists like myself that have average driving skills at best.

jjrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can't wait til i get mine… first viper owner too….

what CF pieces are u getting ? do they have the rear diffuser in CF ? how about some 'mud /stone flap' to protect the wheel well, fenders ?

jR
2014 TA orange

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, here are my preliminary initial impressions:

NOTE: these impressions are preliminary and subject to change. I am sure some items will need adjustment, etc.
Nice write-up.:cool:

I tend to wear short pants quite a bit.
Is the side exhaust still capable of 3rd degree burns?

OP
OP
S

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you stick your leg directly on any car exhaust you will get burned--pure physics. On my Gens IV and VI I tend to just step over the sill on the way in and out. This helps avoid scratches or burns. I drove the car to work in a suit 3 times last week and had not problem. I do not find cabin heat to be an issue due to exhaust placement or heat. However, if you are sitting in traffic for extended periods you will get some cabin heat (most sportscars are like this). Some use of the AC will take care of that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62