08 Hood

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting an OEM '08 hood on my '05. I have looked at some threads about this but I still have a question. Doesn't the OEM hood have a gasket around the air intake area? How does that work with the Gen3 airbox? Do I need to remove it or alter it? I will have to take that gasket off to have the hood painted anyway. If I need to replace it where would I get one. (I don't know if it's called a gasket or something else)

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oem hood has no gaskets on it you will have to buy them, and the vents are not included on the price of the hood. What ever you do don't buy an after market one they are junk get a true oem hood from your dealer.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll also need the under hood pad, I'm pretty sure the Gen 3 and Gen 4 pads are different. I bought my Gen 4 hood used (OEM hoods were in short supply at the time) and it came with the pad. Gen 4 hoods are waaaay cooler than the Gen 3 hoods, literally. They help extract more heat from engine compartment and help reduce front end lift at speed. Just do it.

M_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve from Vipair performance has the 08 hood in different finishes, I would recommend him.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need a hood pad. Yes, vent grilles are sold separately. OEM hoods fit/look the best, IMHO.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine from Steve at Vipair and have no issues. Strong, light, it comes primed, but needs to be sanded and reprimed before paint. good fit,

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve makes the only aftermarket Gen4 hood that seals to the Gen3 air box that I know of. The OEM Gen4 hood does have a seal/gasket that will only seal the the Gen4 air box. You will not need to buy it if you are installing on Gen3 cars.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't use a hood pad or grills, and retain the wide 06 stripes that dip down into the vents.

You must be registered for see images

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper parts of america just listed the gen 4 hood oem for a great price plus if your a venom member thats an extra 20% off.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did Steve's Vipair on my Gen3. I wish when I got my Gen4 I could've swapped them, the Vipair is just a bit meaner looking than the Gen4 stock, IMO I prefer the Vipair anyday over the Gen4 stock hood, but with a Gen4 I can't justify going and getting his hood.

OEM or Vipair - you can't go wrong, great upgrade either way, I can attest to the enhanced cooling on the Gen3, it will make it way cooler, so it's not just cosmetic. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the hood now and the vent grills. It's OEM and at the painters right now.
The OEM Gen4 hood does have a seal/gasket that will only seal the the Gen4 air box.
This is what I really wanted to know. Sounds like you are saying to just eliminate it. yes?

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the hood now and the vent grills. It's OEM and at the painters right now.
The OEM Gen4 hood does have a seal/gasket that will only seal the the Gen4 air box.
This is what I really wanted to know. Sounds like you are saying to just eliminate it. yes?

Yes, on an 05 or all Gen3's, the air box is different and will not seal to an OEM Gen4 hood. So save the money and skip it.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, on an 05 or all Gen3's, the air box is different and will not seal to an OEM Gen4 hood. So save the money and skip it.

If I'm not mistaken I believe Steve from Vipair was working on an airbox for the GEN III cars that looked like a GEN IV box so for those doing this kind of mod they would be able to have things all matched up.

Viper Nut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did Steve's Vipair on my Gen3. I wish when I got my Gen4 I could've swapped them, the Vipair is just a bit meaner looking than the Gen4 stock, IMO I prefer the Vipair anyday over the Gen4 stock hood, but with a Gen4 I can't justify going and getting his hood.

OEM or Vipair - you can't go wrong, great upgrade either way, I can attest to the enhanced cooling on the Gen3, it will make it way cooler, so it's not just cosmetic. Good luck.

What is the difference between the two?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the difference between the two?

Vipair is made to fit the gen3, etc., and it's a bit more agressive, I loved it, in person it's a very mean looking hood without looking too much so, it doesn't look afternarket, people would comment that the car looked meaner in person than vipers they saw in pics, and I would explain it was an 03 and the hood a bit more intense than a stock current gen. But, the stock gen4 hoods look great too, it's good either way, but I do wish I could've swapped them, would love to have the vipair on my current car, but on a gen4 it just doesn't make too much sense to swap out for the $ and trouble. Here are some pics:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/631406-Pics-of-my-completed-mods-list-finally?highlight=mods

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
+1 from me as well. The Gen. IV hood seal is not fully functional with the Gen. III airbox. It does provide a small sealing area around the forward edge but in terms on full functionality, it's basically useless. As was mentioned previously, the hood comes without any seals/gaskets installed (there are about eight of them total - with the sides being identical). Also, the seals/gaskets have an adhesive backing. They cannot be removed without being destroyed.

Someone posted an aftermarket airbox for the Gen. III to Gen. IV hood conversion a while back. Not sure if it was a developmental piece or was an actual item that was being produced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456