1/8 compared to 1/4

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When doing my first try on the Drag Strip after installing NOS and some other mods did I run the following on the 1/8 mile. I'm curious what this could have been on the 1/4 mile with Street ETs or similar tires. So if some one with experience from 60 foot times vs 1/8 trap speed and realy bad tracktion (hook up in 3rd gear) could help me here, would it be realy helpfull. It's started snowing now, and I have to wait 6 months to find out myself.
These times were done on stock tires with about 25psi.
60 foot = 2.067
1/8 mile = 8.244
Trap Speed 1/8 mile = 95Mph
So, if I add Purner Slicks and Skinnies, what will happen?...

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You ran these times with NO2? Yesterday I ran 1/4s at Palmdale in Calif. at 2,600 ft. elevation, stock 00' RT/10 except 3.54 rear gear turned:

60 ft. 1.815
1/8 8.102
1/4 12.539
mph 111.883

You must have a traction problem Mike Pavloff out here just put the slick/skinnies on his 97 GTS, he'll know soon how much quicker.

Ron (SoCal Rebell)

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice, Ron. Make the guy feel really good. "I ran faster than you at high altitude on the engine only...." Next, tell him you discovered you also had the parking brake on!!!
You must be registered for see images

But seriously, here's what I know so far about my Mickey Thompson ET street set-up for the Viper. I did some G-Tech runs Saturday morning on the Michelin Pilots (original tires, now 3+ years old with 11,000 miles on them). My best 0-60 time was 4.29 sec. (I was doing 0-60 runs as my best assessment of how well I'm hooking up -- one shortcoming of the G-Tech is it won't tell you 60 ft times). Anyway, I put on the slicks and "skinnies", and after banging off a few more runs, I got a best 0-60 of 3.93 sec. Note that I did no burnout or dry hop on the slicks -- they were just warm from driving around. So, I'm figuring with a proper burnout, I should be able to get my short times down from 2.00x sec to at least the 1.7-1.8 sec range, and my 1/4 mile ETs should be at least in the high 11's.

As for translation from 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile results, I haven't the foggiest. What altitude was the track at, jp, and what was the weather like? My best at Pomona (near sea level but very hot, say around 90-100 degrees on the track) was an 8.1 sec 1/8 mile at 91 mph. That translated to 12.3 sec 1/4 mile at 118 mph.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JP,
You are suffering from a classic case of too much power with no increase in ability to get it to the ground. It is a finesse job to launch even a stock viper on stock tires and with 200 extra horsepower you have no chance, especially with only the 1/8 mile to run at.

The viper generally does poorly in the 1/8 mile because of gearing and its chassis is not set up for drag racing. Unfortunately drag race elapsed time is comprised entirely of what the car does in the first 60' of the race, after that it is about mph. If you spin your tires, KISS your 60' time and supsequent elapsed time goodby.

So, i suggest perfecting a launch technique(call me for what i have used that gets me good 60' times on radials) before you turn on nitrous oxide. Wheelspin(in excessive amounts) is the drag racers enemy.

Remember you have increased power, and in order to see results you must get that power to the ground, or you will possibly see a net loss due to increased loss of traction.

tom

OP
OP
J

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, this was just a question... I'm not here to brag...
I had serious tracktion problem, no tracktion in 1st, 2nd and finally a hook up in third, and despite that did a reach 95Mph on the 1/8.
Just wondering if someone else had a similar experience, and what hapened when they added slicks.
I can promise one thing, the car is fast when hooking up...

; )

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JP,
The old drag racing standard was to add 4 seconds to your 1/8 mile times for your 1/4 mile times. As to the speed difference, between the two,I don't know on that one. However, if you look at the other posts that had both 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times, you can see that the 4 seconds is pretty close. In drag racing, traction is everything, if you can't get the power to the ground, your times won't go up much over stock. That first 60 feet is critical to your overall time.
You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery