1000+ HP Vipers streetable??

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by streetable?
Often times, people strive to acheive as much horsepower as you can squeeze out of the car. Depending on your goals, this may or may not be a noble philosophy. However, in many instances, people only use their cars on the street, as opposed to drag racing, etc..

On the street you use street tires, not slicks. The amount of power you can actually 'use' on the street is limited to your traction. For example, if you have 1000hp or even 2000hp you may not be able to accelerate any faster than a car with 600-700hp (from 0-80mph)because you are traction limited by your tires. On several occasions, despite our attempts to caution power hungry owners, owners believe that they can use ungodly amounts of power on the street and request insane amounts of power. After driving the car, they'll come back and ask us to de-tune it for less power because the car is nearly undrivable as they can't get any traction on the street. A recent supercharged mustang we built, made app. 700rwhp on the dyno. The car would barely hook up in 4th gear. The owner came to the conclusion, that, for the street, this was too much.

Now, that being said, if you plan on using your car for drag racing, or perhaps even road racing applications the tires you use are much more sticky than street tires and you can plant the power to the pavement much more effectively.

Were are finalizing our LETHAL 750 package with a supercharger as I write this. This car will roughly make 1000hp. Can we make more....sure! Do we want to....no. However with minimal amounts of boost (app. 5-6lbs) the car will be able to be driver much more effectively, and it keeps us from having to add intercoolers, and other equipment. This car is a street car, and over certain power levels, you have to start worrying about things breaking like drivetrain, transmission, suspension components, etc..

Good luck in your quest. There are several tuners that can help you achieve this kind of power. I am told that we are one of the only tuners getting to this level of performance with minimal amounts of forced induction which we think is a good thing. In addition, our supercharger package is CARB approved for emissions testing, and our base LETHAL 750 package passes the emissions sniffer test in CA (the most strict state in the country for emissions testing).

Let me know if we can help!
-Wayne

S

SUN RA KAT

Also remember that your right foot controls the car's amount of power. Light pressure in the lower gears and full throttle in the upper gears should make even "overpowered" street Vipers actually streetable in the real world. But do you want to pay for power that you'll hardly ever use?

Based on my experience with my Roe Supercharged Viper, would say that Wayne's Lethal 750 Viper package would be the most power that a street driven Viper could be and still be practical.

OP
OP
L

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Qui8ck answer to your question:
Since it sounds like you know muscle cars; then you would probably understand why we decided to go the naturally aspirated route. All of our performance packages are NOT just a bunch of high power goodies. Each pacakge is designed to maintain the highest level of reliability and longevity.

For example, out 550c.i. LETHAL 750 package puts out over 750 hp and 800 tq. We include heavy duty halfshafts (for drivetrain), upgraded radiator, thermostat, hoses, etc..(for cooling), billet main caps, new forged pistons, billet rods, etc (to stengthen the engine/block for the power it will be making), fan switch, and of course a host of high peformance parts that have been THOROUGHLY tested in all conditions, and on our in house dynojet.

The car drives GREAT! Car and Driver magazine gave our LETHAL 750 package the highest drivability rating of all Vipers. They also noted that it ran like a German tank during testing. Around town the coolant temperature runs at 180-190; drive it hard around town and it settles in around 195-200. Actually, we now find that it runs cooler than a stock Viper for the most part.

The right combination of parts can do that!
Good luck in your research.
Call us with any questions.
-Wayne

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak to twin-turbo systems, but my 1200HP DLM Supercharged car is totally streetable. I go pick up groceries in it. FWIW, I paid for all that power because I can use it on the dragstrip and in 4th gear and above on the street... and it's fun to do smoky 3rd gear burnouts at 80 MPH :laugh: . Is it necessary? Of course not. But then neither is a Viper in the first place...