1993 Question???

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My friend Wayne finally bought the 1993 Viper he always wanted, it is a low mileage car, that seems to be in good condition.
I have also a 1993 (late) car and we already noticed several differencies, like battery location etc.

One thing however puzzles me, this one has ALL hood hinges and locks sprayed red...
Does not make any sence, since there is no overspray anywhere else.
Any idea what the purpose of this is and is this from Dodge or someone else?

3114DSCN3024-med.JPG

3114DSCN3027-med.JPG

3114DSCN3013-med.JPG

3114DSCN3014-med.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Lauri

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice looking car, Wayne. :2tu: :2tu:
Huummm; :confused: that doesn't look like over spray, looks deliberate. The hinges are after about one and a half feet from the edge of the hood. Maybe some kind of mystery code put there by Dodge worth $$$$$$$$$$. :cool: :cool:

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
His Viper was built in February 1993.
So its early, but this spray makes no sence...
Also the locks are sprayed red.

Car is original, Chuck Tator run a check on it, no suprices. Car has all paperwork from day one. 2 owner car.
It has even original tires. No mods, not even smooth tubes.

Lauri

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a trick used to make it easy to put the hood back in the same place after it was removed...... Some folks use piant, on metal hoods many drill a hole through the hood hinge in the metal hood, when reassembling, they stick the shank of the drill in the hole to line things back up before tightening the bolts.

The hood was likely removed for a repair of some sort. The car did not leave the factory with this paint on it.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are all hand assembled. The factory may have had to take the hood off and a tech decided this was an easy way to line the holes back up.

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are all hand assembled. The factory may have had to take the hood off and a tech decided this was an easy way to line the holes back up.

Possible, since one of the solid red hood bolts are on driver side, instead of passanger side. (Spray is much lighter on driver side.

The picture (due to flash) is MUCH brighter than in reality. You dont spot the color in reality the way these fotos show...

The hood was likely removed for a repair of some sort. The car did not leave the factory with this paint on it.

That seems to be one possibility. On driver side, below the letters VIPER RT/10 (right where the opening next to door is), the paint seems unusually thin. You can actually see some lines in fiberglass as darker and lighter "striping".

I pulled my -93 next to it and it "seems" it may have been repainted? If thats the case, its damn good, since I was unable to tell the difference for sure. There are no repairs what the eye can see on/under the hood.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am under the impression that there are no alignment options for removing the hood at these bolt locations. The bolts only go one way into the holes that are there. For those talking about an alignment technique, please explain.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early 93's had the rear fender mounted antenna. I don't see it on your friends car. Could be the photo angle.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am under the impression that there are no alignment options for removing the hood at these bolt locations. The bolts only go one way into the holes that are there. For those talking about an alignment technique, please explain.

I'm with you on this one!

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is it has to do with what Jay said.

Even though the hood has no real adjustment where it bolts up, the person performing the task didn't probably know that until he loosened the bolts. He had no choice but to mark them until he found out...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302