2 questions...Adding stripes to a GTS and transmission issues?

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone added stripes to their GTS after they bought it? I'm looking at two GTS' right now. I like them a lot, but would love to have white stripes on them (they're both red).

Also, this one had it's transmission replaced under warranty from Chrysler. Was there a common issue with the transmissions on these cars?

Steve

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Adding stripes to a GTS?

I'm adding white stripes to my GTS right now...and fixing rock chips, nose scrapes, rockers, etc. Doing it myself. Technically not too difficult, just time consuming taking off the front, rear bumber covers, tail light surround, paint prep, etc. etc. Paint is pretty expensive. $130/quart for DeBeer color matched..plus need the clear and other prep essentials. Laying out the stripes is proving harder than I envisioned (especially on the rear bumper given the curves and uneven surfaces). Hope to have it finished in the next few weeks. I'll be curious as to how the clear sands/buffs out since I am not re-clearing the entire car.

OP
OP
K

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd be curious to see how it comes out.

I could start a new thread, but I'll just post it here. I'm also seeking a rough estimate on the value of the cars I'm looking at. Yeah...I know...a car is worth whatever someone will pay. But if it was you, what would you pay for an early model GTS with between 40-50K miles. Both cars are in good overall shape, basically stock with only very minor modifications. Not perfect shape, have a couple of stone chips and scratches on the front valence (clearance issue I guess) Ballpark figures?

Steve

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i added silver stripes to my red GTS a few years ago, and recently changed to black, for a fresh look. done right, they look great, imo.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm partial to black on red myself.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tranny ?!: Cost me 2000$ !!! at 15000mi ....
Yes the 5th and 6th gears tend wear out very quickly because of poor oiling.

OP
OP
K

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vinny,
Did you have it painted and cleared over each time you did it?

So anyone have an estimate of what a GTS, description above, value is?

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i have a friend in the business of installing vinyl graphics on trucks, so he hooked me up. i know he used 3m vinyl.

HOGDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In 2002 I bought a Final Edition GTS it can with stripes. Then I bought a 2000 GTS with silver stripes but had them repainted white. They cam out great. I just purchased a new SRT-10 red. Bill Pemberton is painitng the white stripes on it as I type. So I would say "Go for it!!"

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Klayfish, after you CarFax the cars and everything is all ok there an early (96 or 97) GTS can be had for about 38K to 45K. There a couple of varibles there, ie: miles, color, mods, owners (how many)etc. You can pm me if you want and we can discuss it further. I just got my one owner, low mileage, 97 GTS, Blue w White stripes a couple of days ago but I have been studying the GTS's for quite a number of years. No expert for sure but have a bit of knowledge.

Mark

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay

Vinny,
Where did you get them and how much were they?

We can provide you with our in stock stripe kits :)

[email protected] for more info and pricing!

We have black carbon fiber vinyl stripes on our GTS, it is completely different from any other and looks incredible. We also have a white carbon fiber that would be different and look great imo if your interested. Either way, get one of those Vipers and we will help you out. :2tu:

BradH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you have pictures of the car with carbon fiber vinyl stripes? I'd like to see how that looks.

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Klayfish,
Welcome. Didn't you come over from the FFR forum? I thought I saw you posting your car for sale there. I swung over about year and a half ago, and couldn't be happier.
Rick

OP
OP
K

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rik,
Yes, that's me. I loved my Cobra and really hated to see it go. But I never got to drive my Cobra, so it was time to sell it. I wanted something as close to the Cobra as I could get, and I've always loved the Vipers, so it was an obvious choice.

I'll post more once it's in my driveway, but I'm expecting to have a Viper here within the next 2 weeks.

Steve

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Congrats my friend. A few things like wipers,a roof and a/c keep me from enjoying mine too. I will tell you this, the on looker factor for these cars is a little diff though. In the Cobra I was everyones buddy. There wasn't a stop light or parking lot went by that some didn't break out a camera or have a story for me. In this car, some may view you as a pompeous a-hole.
I do miss the Cobra, and was looking back at the site to add one to my stable, but just want to build another or buy someone else's. I just bought Boss 302 clone. It should be here in a few days. So now I will have the Viper plus the Stang for my old school needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte