20+ VIPERS ON THE DYNO YESTERDAY, AND THEN...............

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/B][/QUOTE]
Well i have had emails and calls and it looks like Sir Hiss hasn't posted results yet, so i will give it my best shot. If anyone else who was there can verify or add to these numbers please feel free to reply.

Out of 20+ vipers here are highlights that I remember:

1. Chuck B. from Tampa with a BONE STOCK 98 R/T that has only the rear mufflers removed made 425 HP at 472 ft/lbs torque. Correcting to 12% drivetrain loss(conservative) equals 476 FLYWHEEL HORSEPOWER. It was the most powerful of the non-modified vipers at the event.

2. I can only remember his first name, *****, with a beautiful 96 R/T that had the LOUDEST exhaust of the day had smooth tubes, complete TNT headers and exhaust, a stereo with a DVD screen that flipped out for viewing while driving(incredible) made 430 rear wheel horsepower.

3. Sean Roe with a Blue and White GTS with, correct me if im wrong Sean, Borla 1.5" headers and 2.5" cat back, along with the other famous ROE RACING gadgets, made 443 rear wheel horsepower at 475 FT/LBS torque.

4. A brand new black GTS that had less than 1000 miles with only smooth tubes made 417 rear wheel horsepower!

5. A modified 1993 ZR-1 Corvette developed 371 rear wheel horsepower.

6. A 93 R/T with headers and cat-back, im not sure what else it had, made 400 rear wheel horsepower!

7. A beautiful all stock red GTS made 406 rear wheel horsepower on his second pull, on his first the driver (not the owner) left the emergency brake set and proceeded to heat the rear brakes to RED-YELLOW HOT!!!!!!!!!!.

8. My own 1997 GTS with only headers and exhaust made 459.5 rear wheel horsepower at 496 FT/LBS torque, and was the most powerful motor pull of the day. Those numbers corrected to flywheel horsepower using 12% as the correction factor are 515 horsepower and 554 ft/lbs of torque.

next i made a nitrous/propane pull from 3000 rpm to 5000 rpm and here are the numbers for that pull:

619.6 rear wheel Horsepower
702.6 FT/LBS torque

those numbers corrected as above equal: 694 Flywheel Horsepower and 786 FT/lbs Torque. For those of you wondering about the power of the nitrous/propane injection, that partial pull netted a gain of over 160 rear wheel horsepower(180hp gain at the flywheel)

After dynoing we proceeded to Sonny's Bar B Q for early dinner, then cruised to Clearwater Beach where hundreds of thousands of onlookers GAUKED at the snake parade led by the ground pounding Sir Hiss Machine.

We then took to the streets of Tampa where high performance Motorcycles swarmed like bees, hot rods were so loud they set off every alarm in the parking lots, mustangs, supras, camaros, classic old pro streeters, but in the end the vipers reigned victorious over those few that chose to do battle. I had Sean Roe riding shotgun, and needless to say we were the least ROWDY of our crowd, we only watched while cruising at 80 mph as they crossed the Gandy bridge at speeds upwards of 170 mph. Myself and Chuck B. later laid waste to a highly modified NSX during a few 1/8 mile runs(i will say though to the NSX's credit he pulled very good from 120 mph on up). We ended up back at Tony's place around 2 am where i loaded up and made the 2 hour drive back home. All in all it was a very entertaining and informative day.

tom

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Tom,
One of the funniest parts of the evening was when that little red supercharged Mustang taunted us as though he wanted to run against a Viper (his license plate read HISSSS). Then, to his horror, at the next light, he had Scott on his left in the white RT/10, you and I behind in your red GTS and Chuck on his right in his red RT/10. After Scott purged his nitrous (emitting a distinct and loud hiss) next to him, he drove away from the light like my grandmother would in her Cadillac!

I'd write more about the day, but after getting up yesterday at 3:30am, driving to Tampa, staying out to 2:00am, leaving Tony's early this morning, etc., etc., I'm tired!

OP
OP
T

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday Sir Hiss and Associates hosted the First Annual Viper Dyno and Drag Day in St. Pete. There were over 20 vipers there including myself and other Viperboard requlars.

Im sure Tony will be posting all of the particulars when he gets up. The nite-cap was street-terrorizing til 2 AM.

It was a great opportunity to see various combinations of exhaust and other upgrades together on the same day, on the same dyno.

Feel free to call or email me or Sir Hiss for any of the details. I believe Sir Hiss has a video of the sights and sounds of the event.

thanks for reading

tom

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang