2006 Coupe - A Few More Observations

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post is a continuation of the "Its Here!" post. There are now a bit more than 1000 miles on odometer. Below are a few more observations.

1. The front fascia contains a built in air duct on each side that directs air to the front brakes.

2. It takes time to locate a shop with a proper tire removal machine that can be used on rims like the OEM five spoke rims. I finally found one today after being told by Goodyear, Firestone, and Tire Kingdom that they could not service the tires because of the rims and the fact that they did not have a machine that could safely handle them. The local Dodge dealer, Dadeland Dodge at 16501 S. Dixie Highway, Miami, Florida stated that they would not fix my run flat tire in the event of a flat or a slow leak even though they did have the equipment. They said they do not repair flats because of liability concerns. I found this to be outrageous. How can Dodge sell a car with OEM rims and run flats and some of its own dealers not do a patch on the tire? This state of affairs is absurd. Let me make it even clearer. You are out on the highway and have a flat. The fifty mile leeway will not do the trick. You call the 1 - 800 number for support. They ask you where you would like the car taken. Unless they have a list of shops and Dealers that will repair the runflats safely, you will not have a clue and not be able to answer the question. Your other choice is to use a shop without proper equipment and risk having your rim damaged. Great marketing and support Dodge! That a way to go!

3. Does anyone else's horn sound a bit anemic? (I realize that this question is somewhat subjective.) Feedback requested.

4. I tried first from a 5 MPH roll at WOT for the first time yesterday. ( Remember. I have a Paxton.) The rear started to kick out about ten degrees. I lifted a bit until it straightened out and hit it again. Very impressive. This puppy gets to max RPM muy rapido in first. I am glad I chose not to put the lightweight flywheel on the vehicle. If it reved up any faster in first it would not be useable. The improved suspension really makes a difference. This is particularly obvious when I compare this car to the performance of my former Roe supercharged 1999 GTS. (My GTS did not have suspension work done after the Roe was installed.) The difference, in all gears, is quite striking. Traction on the GTS with street tires was a real challenge. I think that anyone who puts on a supercharger should give serious consideration to the suspension upgrade. It is well worth the money.

5. Looks. In the last five days, I have had three cars pull up next to us on the highway to snap photographs. One got caught up in the moment and came very close to rear ending the car in front of him. Most of the people that have seen my new coupe who also saw my GTS have said that they prefer the new design and the new interior. I always reply that like children,they were and are both special in different ways. I must say though that I find the seating of the new coupe far more comfortable in every way than the seating was in my GTS.

6. I know that no one really cares but gas mileage in the new coupe contiues to be about 3 MPG better around town - and I am comparing apples to apples with respect to the type of driving.

That's it for now. Enjoy the summer weather. To some hotter is not better (power loss) but to others, hotter means tires get stickier faster. LOL

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound like you are really enjoying your new Viper.

As more and more cars are released with larger tires, most shops will upgrade their equipment to handle them.

Your horn sounds weak because the Paxton system blocks most of the sound.

You will need to change to an earlier year horn mounting bracket to get the horn to sound properly.

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2. I also live in Miami and have a new FE 06 Copue. I had a heating issue due to the fan on the radiator malfunctioning. The roadside service was excellent and they really cared. I had the car towed to Planet dodge..this is where the fun starts...they told me they could not work on the Viper if I did not buy it there...huh? Support towed it there..luckily the car had ORIGINALLY came from there, so after I explained that ( I just knew the info by chance because I knew the previous owner) they decided to work on it. They fixed the fan but I believe they left air in the system. I took it to Doug levin , a Viper Tuner expert in North miami beach (maybe 25 minutes from Pinecrest) and we'll see what happens.

3. My horn sounds fine.

6. My mileage seems terrible, but I do not really care about that..

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my GTS, but clearly, you have the better car. :2tu:

As for interior, the fit and finish is much better, but I still prefer the straight across layout on the gen 1/2. On the SRT's, having to look right, then up and down is a bit distracting.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, when Dan Cragin installed my Paxton, he relocated the horn. The bracket part number he used is 4865499AB, I am not sure of the manufacture's (Mopar/Dodge/Paxton?) name but if you wish I can find out for you.
Larry

Viper TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with your observations Bob. I still have my Gen II, but it is going towards a very serious drag car which is the primary reason I purchased my Gen III Coupe. In a nutshell, the Gen III Coupe is by far a better car than my Gen II is every aspect. (JMO)

As for the attention/head turning factor, my experience has been equal between the GTS and Coupe.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My horn was also relocated during the supercharger install. The location is not causing the sound difference. The sound has changed since I received the vehicle. Maybe the horn has laryngitis. We use them down here alot - more than in other parts of the US. I know what you are thinking. Don't say it. LOL

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"As more and more cars are released with larger tires, most shops will upgrade their equipment to handle them."

The tire size was not the issue. The fact that there is no lip on the rims is the issue. To safely deal with the new five spoke rims requires a machine with all of the parts that touch the wheel covered with rubber or something similar. The regular clamshell equipment, unless used with extra caution and precision, will cause rim damage. The cost of the new equipment is about $14,000.00. I have my car serviced at Hollywood Chrysler Plymouth about 35 plus miles from where I live. They just acquired the new machine since other SRT vehicles have the same type of wheels. They also will repair a flat. They are also fortunate to have Mark Leslie, service manager, gear head and drag racer ( legal and on the track )and John Hyde (sp?), a senior Vipertech that used to work at Maroone Dodge years back, who both love Vipers and know a great deal about them.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Bob,

have you tried the TIRE KINGDOM by sunset place?? They worked on my old RT-10, and a few cars I've known with 315-18"... not that far off.