2011 Texas Viper Round Up

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Mrs. looked over the options. It looks like if I go I might be attending alone. She likes the San Antonio driving options 'much better!' (I love having a wife that hit's the track with me!)

I was intending to go regardless of the venue but am now reconsidering if the plans are as Fastzilla listed in his survey.:confused:

It's time for the official word...the Texans are getting restless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which VCA members voted? We were not asked to vote on anything that I am aware of.

Eric, This was brought up by Ivan at the Houston board meeting on Sunday. I did not hear anything about it until Sunday and he stated it was rather short notice to 'put it to a vote' whether the activities surrounded San Antonio or Austin this year. The board did vote on it Sunday and were told we had to submit our response by Sunday night to the Central Region.

I have several questions regarding when the presidents of the Texas regions were contacted and if the intent was to get quick feedback from the board of each region exclusively or were we given enough time to send out a mass email and gather votes from individual members? Can anyone in the planning committee give us an idea of the timeline? I'm just looking for a complete picture as a Houston board member wanting every member to optimize their VCA participation and am not lodging a complaint with those working hard to put together another great experience.

I also mentioned to the Houston board that a schedule for officer's elections needs to be put in place.

Damn I hate politicians and it sure reads like I'm being one.

Now back to wanting to know about details for the Round Up!:drive:

Plans have changed from what was initiated earlier for this years round up. Please be on the look out for an email from Jason T soon. He will be spearheading the new format voted on by VCA members.[/]

I got the email Saturday to vote for San Antonio or Austin before midnight Jan 30th. I received an email on Monday saying Austin was chosen. You post this Tuesday. Are we going to get another email with new plans/changes?

So what, exactly, is planned?

Yes you all deserve a lot of answers.

Long story short the 2011 South Central Texas VCA Viper Round Up has been in the planning stages since August of 2010. Several ideas were bounced around and fielded from our local Central Texas members who attended drives and shows in mid to late 2010. We have even gone as far as doing a test run of the route on November 20th to verify how long it would take, places to fill up and a place for lunch that could handle all of us as well as condition of the roads. Granted the SCTVCA Viper Round Up has always been in Austin and have gone on a lot of very good roads, but we have been there and done that. The original idea although a logistical nightmare (hence working on it since October) was abruptly halted late last Friday night.
The reason for the short time limit on the voting was due to the time limit given by the hotels to sign a room block agreement. I was personally not ever given any negative feedback until late last Friday so I agreed to the vote. This event is for everyone not just what my idea of the event should be.
I admit I am disappointed the past few months of planning have gone out the window and personally I am not planning the reorganized 2011 Round Up but I will be participating. I have however made sure the Omni will be our hotel again as this year as it was last year. While I may not agree with the new style event, there was a vote in our region and it was 26 to 13 for the Austin event. I will have to agree with what our members want.
I apologize for the confusion, what I have been leading you all to will now not become a reality although I am sure those who voted to change the venue/event will come together to make this Round Up just as awesome as the last four.

In short-This will not be the dangerous twisty roads with high speed large group runs through new areas of the hill country as I had planned. I do not have any part of planning this revised event with exception of the hotel rooms and rates.

Please know as a board member I am :censored: to what I can and can not say, I hope most of you on here can read through the lines.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish things had been a little in advance to allow these discussions, but it is what it is. You guys put together a FANTASTIC gathering last year and I hope 2011 is just as rewarding to us all. Not my choice of venues, but at LEAST I got a chance to vote. I think the email list may need some tuning as the only thing I heard about was the vote a few days ago... nothing else.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll say it....I'm beginning to look at other car clubs geared more toward the enjoyment of the cars (driving, charity, shows, etc.) that are balanced among the members regarding event locations, event types, etc.

I think the south/central Texas region should be renamed the Austin region and let us San Antonio and surrounding guys fend for ourselves - better than to represent as a club for Waco and south but really only hold events in Austin. 80-90 miles of I-35 to get to any Central/Austin VCA event ***** (I guess we have the 180 miles to Houston or the 280 to Dallas as options). Lime creek is a cool road but I've ran it enough times I'm ready for a go at it blindfolded.

The whole round-up was given to different folks to plan this year and the venue was changed (something other than Austin). Months of planning, gone at the blink of an eye. Is it the part about not being able to stay at your house? I know the number of DFW, Houston & SA members **** it up and pack our bags & find baby sitters.

I thought this was the start of a truly Texas round up - different locations around Texas. There are tons of awesome roads between SA & Houston - same between Houston and Dallas and SW of Ft Worth.:dunno:

Let's call this the Austin round up, so you guys can stick to street racing on the tollway on your way to lime creek. :lmao:

We had the SA Raceway - real NHRA 1/4 mile action, as many runs as you care to do (not like when we got ripped off 2 round-ups ago - not by the VCA guys, the track). You could auto cross between your runs at the same location. The Hill Country Resort - look it up, it's nice. Rooms were reduced for the VCA by well over $100/night. An option of eating at the resort or busing to the rotating restaurant on top of the tower in downtown - instead of us all mealing around the lobby and parking lot trying to organize a trip to dinner with other folks or not being able to let your hair down after a Saturday drive by having a drink because you have a 30+ minute drive back to the hotel & you don't know where you are.

I've got almost 11k miles on my 2yr old ACR & put 6k on the RT in 18 months traveling to various car events around TX. Most folks don't even come close to that for mileage - this is all for Viper related events (I don't daily drive these things).

A movie????? are you kidding me? (go to the round-up, watch movies....I can do that at home in my garage if I want to sit in/around my car and watch a movie). Scavenger hunt around Austin - us non-Austin residents are going to have a real edge during this event since we don't know where anything is, better bring your Garmin! No hot laps on the track, an obstacle style 1 lap event (at turn 3, get out & do a jumping jack, at turn 6 get out and moon the crowd, etc.) - that is the skills based driving experience we need in our Vipers. Forget polishing your driving skills at an auto cross or practicing you launch and shifting on a NHRA 1/4 mile.

I'm beginning to find in these car clubs that some are real car guys & others lean toward the "look at me" I have a X-type of car.

I'm sure I have no idea of "big picture" but the poll on this forum won't lie since only paid VCA members can view/participate in the poll. No "survey monkey" that only allows 1 vote per IP address - so basically anyone with a computer can cast a vote. Most folks only participate on the forums at work during work hours so let's announce the vote after work hours on Friday and close the voting at midnight on Sunday.

I'm sure I'm way off base. Unless all the folks I have met over the last 2 years lied to me I pretty much know which way they will vote.

I'm on the fence leaning way to one side...

BTW: I was one committed/willing to chip in $1k or more to offset the cost of renting the drag strip/parking lot to make this event happen. Many of the planners were willing and planing to chip in some of their own cash to make this a great event. There are plenty of folks willing to chip in extra to make the event spectacular. Guess we'll save a few bucks now. Keep in mind the only gain we get out of it is a great experience. Where else can you "race" other vipers in a safe environment (safe for both your person and your property). You lose it in a parking lot to wipe out a cone... Your likelihood of damage on the drag strip is minimal and usually the result of mechanical failure (hints the tech inspections on Friday sponsored by ART).

Well that's my rant - the poll will tell all.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Yes you all deserve a lot of answers.

Long story short the 2011 South Central Texas VCA Viper Round Up has been in the planning stages since August of 2010. Several ideas were bounced around and fielded from our local Central Texas members who attended drives and shows in mid to late 2010. We have even gone as far as doing a test run of the route on November 20th to verify how long it would take, places to fill up and a place for lunch that could handle all of us as well as condition of the roads. Granted the SCTVCA Viper Round Up has always been in Austin and have gone on a lot of very good roads, but we have been there and done that. The original idea although a logistical nightmare (hence working on it since October) was abruptly halted late last Friday night.
The reason for the short time limit on the voting was due to the time limit given by the hotels to sign a room block agreement. I was personally not ever given any negative feedback until late last Friday so I agreed to the vote. This event is for everyone not just what my idea of the event should be.
I admit I am disappointed the past few months of planning have gone out the window and personally I am not planning the reorganized 2011 Round Up but I will be participating. I have however made sure the Omni will be our hotel again as this year as it was last year. While I may not agree with the new style event, there was a vote in our region and it was 26 to 13 for the Austin event. I will have to agree with what our members want.
I apologize for the confusion, what I have been leading you all to will now not become a reality although I am sure those who voted to change the venue/event will come together to make this Round Up just as awesome as the last four.

In short-This will not be the dangerous twisty roads with high speed large group runs through new areas of the hill country as I had planned. I do not have any part of planning this revised event with exception of the hotel rooms and rates.

Please know as a board member I am :censored: to what I can and can not say, I hope most of you on here can read through the lines.

Wow, 26 to 13 people voted to watch movies instead of drive our Viper's???:omg:

Unbelievable. C'mon folk's, it's a Viper..now let's drive the ass off it.

Last edited:
F

FrgMstr

The Solstice club is running 3 Sisters on Feb 12 and 13th....open run, just need to ping in on their forums. I am going with them to actually drive. At least they got the balls to push it some.

Drive ins are for ******* and families.....two things that do not easily fit in a Viper.

You guys have fun in Austin scavenging.

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, 26 to 13 people voted to watch movies instead of drive our Viper's???:omg:

Unbelievable. C'mon folk's, it's a Viper..now let's drive the ass off it.

I agree the numbers shocked me, I thought everyone would be up for a change of scenery and to hit one of the best roads in Texas. Even when I started this thread back in early December I asked for comments and suggestions then. To wait until the last minute to 'vote'... I do not agree with how this played out. It was not my idea to change at the last minute. And these new events are not being planned by me. :nono:

I agreed to the vote as I sure as hell didn't want the members to do something they did not want to do, although I thought the majority liked to flog thier car every now and again, some who I talked to feared it was TOO dangerous, maybe that played a part in it. I don't know. :dunno:

It was going to be expensive but our sponsors and other regions were happy to chip in as well as other members with thier personal money including myself. It was doable, and anyone too freaked out by Twisted Sisters could sit out that part at the Bent Rim Grill.

It is all water under the bridge now, it was decided to take place in Austin and do 'alternative' activities. I will participate and give it a chance, you never know, may be cool. :dunno: and if the movie gets boring guys, we can always QUIETLY start our cars and leave the area as to not disturb the others enjoying the flick. :eater:

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Solstice club is running 3 Sisters on Feb 12 and 13th....open run, just need to ping in on their forums. I am going with them to actually drive. At least they got the balls to push it some.

Drive ins are for ******* and families.....two things that do not easily fit in a Viper.

You guys have fun in Austin scavenging.

I'd be up for joining them on Sunday:headbang:, we can get all the San Antonio guys to join as well... Have about 7-10 Vipers out there with the Sol group?:usa:

PM me and I'll try and get the word out.:2tu:

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can driving the twisties be more dangerous than driving in Austin traffic for a scavenger hunt. I would rather be out in the Hill Country moving with the majority of the traffic(Viper owners who know how to drive) than in Austin going with/against the traffic with lots of eyes looking at your car and not the road.

Oh well...:bdh:

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what happened with this year's TEXAS Round Up, but the key word in that sentence is "TEXAS". In my opinion, if we are going to have a TEXAS Round Up, ALL Texas members should be able to vote on the format.

Last years Round Up was great! Excellent format, excellent people, excellent weather, everything was straight forward and enjoyable. The only reason I renewed my VCA membership this year was to attend the Round Up. After last year's huge success, why would we try to reinvent the wheel?

I am personally very disappointed with whatever has happened behind the scenes. This is the only club I pay membership dues to, all the other ones I am involved in are free and we work things out as a group when we want to have a function. Unfortunately I will probably be focusing more of my time in the future to those groups after what has happened here.

I hope the Round Up this year is a success for those who have made it so in the past, their hard work is still appreciated by me! :2tu: :2tu:

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...some who I talked to feared it was TOO dangerous, maybe that played a part in it. I don't know. :dunno:...

... and anyone too freaked out by Twisted Sisters could sit out that part at the Bent Rim Grill....

Or join the scenic group that would be running the sisters in the opposite direction at or below the speed limit - hints the "scenic" part. These roads are thru what feel like mountains. There are sheer clif faces that you drive on where beyond the guard rail is straight down 100+ feet, 100+ of feet in elevation changes, 10mph hair-pin turns.

Watch the videos:
335:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxorr5JRxrU&feature=related[/media]
336:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWMMX3A77S4&feature=related[/media]
337:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gokaccQEn_M&feature=fvsr[/media]

A good sped-up version of many of the roads on the route - it's no lime creek, but it should do:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLnEGoPHItA]YouTube - ‪Texas Ain't Flat‬‏[/media]

Last edited:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems to be some misinformation and a lot of complaining going on here. I'll put all the facts on the table and if you still have gripes feel free to voice them.

• TexasTonka did 99% of the planning for the Roundup, which is very, very much appreciated. Kurt also planned 2 of our last 3 runs and the Christmas party as well.

• The plan was originally to leave from somewhere more central (Embassy Suites in San Marcos) but as of 1-2 weeks ago that was changed to southwest San Antonio to a.) make the drive on Saturday 270 miles vs 450, b.) ensure everyone could drink safely Friday and Saturday night because both meals were at the hotel, and c.) change the location of the Roundup to be more "fair" since the last 4 Roundups have been Austin-based (though the last 4 events have been in San Antonio or centrally-located).

• The few people I talked to didn't like the idea of the drive. For one, it was too long; we've had shorter drives in the past and people have expressed they wanted it cut down. In addition to the sheer length of the drive, these are other observations I've heard about Twisted Sisters:
- limestone cliffs on either side of the road, some with no guardrail
- limestone deposits on the road
- no shoulder
- no cell reception
That sounded complicated/dangerous to me. I offered up the idea of having a chase vehicle that could tow anyone that broke down, but was told one wouldn't fit down that road. The proposed solution to this "logistical nightmare" (as Kurt put it) was dividing the 80+ cars into 4 run groups, splitting by self-proclaimed skill level. In the interest of safety and enjoyment for the majority of the group, I proposed another format. 80+ high horsepower cars with drivers with varied skill levels in an unfamiliar area that has sheer cliffs, mineral deposits on the road, no shoulder, no cell reception, is 90 miles long and is a good 100+ miles from anywhere we'd have the car towed...seemed like an accident waiting to happen. Rather than just say "that plan *****" and not offer an alternative, I came up with a different format to propose to members. I'm not a tyrant nor a dictator, so rather than assume my opinion rules all I asked 6-7 fellow members who have attended this event for their opinion, and they unanimously voted for the new format, regardless of location.

• After I received that feedback I spoke to Kurt, who had heard completely differently. Rather than 2 guys make decisions for the entire club, we agreed on Friday night that a vote was best. I immediately went home, composed a survey in Survey Monkey and sent it out to the officers for accuracy and approval. Saturday at noon, I sent out the email to the entire South Central Texas distribution list and then some (121 total addresses). I downloaded the newest member list last week and manually checked every single email to make sure all members who are on the spreadsheet from national were entered correctly. In addition to that I sent Greg (Dallas VCA president) and Ivan (Houston VCA president) emails with the link to the survey, asking them to forward it to their members so they could weigh in. I would have sent it directly to the members but I do not have access to those distribution lists. Yes, I realize that the poll was short notice, but the San Antonio hotel needed an answer last week and Kurt was able to stall them till Monday. Every Texas region had an equal chance to vote; if members outside of my region did not receive the link to the survey, I apologize but unfortunately that is out of my control.

• Eddie (Fastzilla) is also posting misinformation. Here are screencaps of the survey that everyone should have seen:

You must be registered for see images

As you can see, there WILL be hot laps and road racing on Sunday, but other activities will also be available so the more people can participate.

• The San Antonio plan would require us signing a contract for $1500 more than we currently have in our treasury. This is because in order to receive a rate comparable to the Austin hotel we have to book a banquet room for Friday and Saturday to the tune of $5000. The thinking behind this selection was a.) "we don't spend money on anything else throughout the year, so we might as well exhaust the account on the Roundup as we have in previous years", and b.) "a lot of people complained last year that they could only have 3-4 drinks after dinner before driving back to the hotel, so if we eat IN the hotel we don't have to drink and drive." (Those were the reasons offered to me and are not my words.) The Austin hotel not only doesn't require 143% of our treasury, but the hotel manager literally emails Kurt every other day because he's hungry for our business again this year. When I spoke to him, he said he'd even throw in a banquet room for FREE on Saturday in case we hit inclement weather.

• For the record, the movie is planned for after dinner. In past years we haven't done anything after dinner, so rather than rent a large banquet hall and do dinner and the small presentations there, I thought it may be nice to do it outdoors and on a big screen. I figured while we were at it, we might as well throw on a movie while we're there so members that want to stick around and talk and watch a movie can; those that would rather hit the bars or hit the sheets can do that as well. Don't be mistaken; the movie idea doesn't replace anything from any previous format or from the San Antonio format. This activity is in addition to anything else anyone planned and is being done to extend the amount of time everyone has to socialize (more bang for the buck, if you will).

Bottom line: Everyone had an equal opportunity to vote. The email reached 121 members from me personally, and if Ivan and Greg hit up their members it reached more. Myself, Austin, nor the residents of Austin, are to blame for the format; the location and activities were voted on by due-paying members of our club. Maybe Austin was chosen because people like the location better, maybe it was chosen because people liked the activities better, maybe people would rather eat at a restaurant rather than a hotel, maybe it was chosen because the mouse slipped when someone was voting (though you can undo your vote)...but pointing fingers at an individual or a region's members is misplacing blame as well as futile. The alternative was pitched in an effort for the most members to have the most fun while being safe, realizing that not everyone can/will be pleased (as indicated by this thread). If you personally don't like what is planned, I apologize, but realize that even though you aren't tickled to death with what's going on, the majority of the people that will attend ARE because they prefer it. If you don't want to attend, you'll be sorely missed as this event is more about camaraderie amongst Viper enthusiasts as much as it is about driving, but your absence will be honored and understood.

Lastly, sending out an email to San Antonio-based Viper owners after voting has concluded will do nothing but further divide the regions by pitting us against one another. If they are a member, they already got the email. If they're not, they may not have but their vote shouldn't be counted as they're not paying for the event.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The budgetary notes are irrelevant as I was planning on covering costs personally at a minimum of $1k and was prepared to chip in up to $5k. Motivation - this experience is just that cool & worth my investment in the club & folks who participate. I figure this could take it to the next level - for me it's worth it (put my money where my mouth is).

The events I listed in the pole are 95% accurate - compare them with the survey screen shots (barring the behind the scenes details you added that I had no knowledge of).

The twisted sisters are no more dangerous than the lime creek route with the same dangers of no guard rails, no shoulders, mineral deposits on the road, road surfaces, etc. The only major difference is the cell phone coverage and I offered & planned to bring my satellite phone and would solicit other to do the same (1 per group was the goal). There is cell phone coverage down there but it varies greatly from one service provider to the next & in different areas. From reading your reply I infer that there was a lot of assumptions and hearsay that went into the decision to deem the twisted sisters route as "dangerous". I've been running them since 1994 on 2-wheels back before cell phones were common place in every 5yr olds pocket. And believe me when I say that the roads are wonderful compared to 15 years ago.

The plan was to work with NARRA and get folks "run group" classifications from them to eliminate any self proclaiming of skills. Driver's Edge and others were mentioned as well and would have been researched. This valid point was well considered. However, at what point do we trust the members? We consider ourselves part of an elite after all of which trustworthiness should be an expected attribute.

Jason - this is NOT directed at you at all. Never has been. The only heartburn I have with you is why was this vote not hosted on this board, the VCA website. This is the hub for all VCA related communications - there is not a post (to my knowledge) on this VCA site regarding an emergency vote. Seems like quite an oversight for something so readily accessible and familiar to us all regarding VCA communications.

There is still 2 months to the round up date. The Saturday night dinners & charter bus was in the works (on my dime).

The track event would be joint with the SCCA - they run 2-3 cars on the 1-way track at a time staggered every 30-45 seconds. Not to mention the simultaneous drag racing. Folks would be tired from driving or out of gas before the end of the event. (Gas stations 2 miles down the road)

This is an attempt to get the regions together hints the huge personal investment me and many others were & are willing to put in. Lead by example and those who can make donations will once it is realized what can be done if we collectively pool together.

I realize that my $130/yr doesn't go very far & I don't expect it to. I brought my "commitment" to the table in the form of donations. I must run a business and therefore could not step up to the plate for an officer position when the time was at hand. I can however support the present officers with any assistance I can from phone calls and communications to raising additional funds needed.

It's obvious where I stand - I will edit my poll to include the survey choice items (I could not access them since the survey was closed).

Pardon my direct approach to this - I am from the school of thought were one can either gripe about something or do something about it. This is NOT a *** for tat between the Austin & SA crowd. This is the TEXAS round up and should be held in different locations around Texas year to year. This way the members can experience all of best of the TX roads from region to region. My thought was that next year maybe the Houston or DFW clubs plan the event in their area.

Imagine how cool that would be for existing and new Viper owners alike to experience Texas in a Viper with 70+ like minded folks & everyone is equal in their travel, expense & time requirements to the round up - averaged over 4 years.

We are all missing out on what each of the Texas regions have to offer by limiting the round up to Austin. Because of my job I have traveled most of the by-ways in Texas & I assure you each region has equally awesome roads to the twisted sisters right in their back yards. I can also make informed comments on the cell phone coverage in different areas if that is a major concern.

We're all missing out - I thought this was the opportunity. My mistake & apology.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The budgetary notes are irrelevant as I was planning on covering costs personally at a minimum of $1k and was prepared to chip in up to $5k. Motivation - this experience is just that cool & worth my investment in the club & folks who participate. I figure this could take it to the next level - for me it's worth it (put my money where my mouth is).

That's extremely generous, but was not known by me nor in the poll. People voted on activities and location, not cost. In the poll, cost was essentially the same.

The events I listed in the pole are 95% accurate - compare them with the survey screen shots (barring the behind the scenes details you added that I had no knowledge of).

Also true of this post. Many of the details listed in here are completely new to me. The purpose of the poll was throw out the general format/location and see how those responded.

The twisted sisters are no more dangerous than the lime creek route with the same dangers of no guard rails, no shoulders, mineral deposits on the road, road surfaces, etc. From reading your reply I infer that there was a lot of assumptions and hearsay that went into the decision to deem the twisted sisters route as "dangerous".

I agree with you; Kurt even called Twisted Sisters "a 90 mile Lime Creek." However, I considered the dangers when proposing the new format, but did not list them in the poll. People decided on the amount of danger inherited with driving that road on their own. If they voted against the drive, it was probably because of the duration/length, not because of the perceived dangers as I did not list them. Additionally, Lime Creek is only 10 miles long, so if you get stuck behind someone or have a problem you're only in the situation for a limited amount of time. That compounds exponentially with Twisted Sisters.

The plan was to work with NARRA and get folks "run group" classifications from them to eliminate any self proclaiming of skills. Driver's Edge and others were mentioned as well and would have been researched. This valid point was well considered. However, at what point do we trust the members?

I trust the members 100%. I seriously doubt anyone would put themselves, loved ones, their car or other members in harm's way. However, accidents happen and with the sheer volume of cars combined with the nature of the road lead me to recommend an alternative in case the majority preferred something else.

Jason - this is NOT directed at you at all. Never has been. The only heartburn I have with you is why was this vote not hosted on this board, the VCA website. This is the hub for all VCA related communications - there is not a post (to my knowledge) on this VCA site regarding an emergency vote. Seems like quite an oversight for something so readily accessible and familiar to us all regarding VCA communications.

Had I thought of posting on here, I would have. I apologize. I don't get to the boards as much as I get to email, and I have a confirmed distribution list from the national club with all of the contact information for the paid memberships to date. Though only 36 SC Texas members have paid this year, the survey was sent to 119 past and present members, as well as the Dallas and Houston presidents for distribution. The board would have been a good addition, but I opted for the most direct approach which was email.

The track event would be joint with the SCCA - they run 2-3 cars on the 1-way track at a time staggered every 30-45 seconds. Not to mention the simultaneous drag racing.

As of Friday, no one had gotten a hold of the drag strip so I omitted that. The SCCA thing was planned, so that was included.

I realize that my $130/yr doesn't go very far & I don't expect it to. I brought my "commitment" to the table in the form of donations.

Again, your donations are very generous and much appreciated, but again I had not heard a word about you contributing personal funds to the club or to the event. Budget wasn't considered when the poll was conducted but for future iterations we can include that if we think club members want that transparency.

Pardon my direct approach to this - I am from the school of thought were one can either gripe about something or do something about it. This is NOT a *** for tat between the Austin & SA crowd.

It's appreciated. As said in my email I would have preferred you or Kurt talk to me directly before taking to the boards and email with any of this. Though you say it's not an Austin vs San Antonio thing, prior conversations and emails would indicate otherwise.

This is the TEXAS round up and should be held in different locations around Texas year to year. This way the members can experience all of best of the TX roads from region to region. My thought was that next year maybe the Houston or DFW clubs plan the event in their area.

I agree. I'd love to do something in another city. Again, the alternate proposal this year was purely based on feedback I'd received and I want what's best for the club; plain and simple. Not every event will be perfect, but I'd be a crappy president if I didn't take my member's feedback to heart and at least attempt to accomodate them.

We are all missing out on what each of the Texas regions have to offer by limiting the round up to Austin.

It's not that the Roundup is limited to Austin. The SC Texas VCA covers Austin and San Antonio and a few places in between. Since the money comes from our budget, it would make the most sense to host the event in our region rather than spend our club's money traveling to another region in Texas. Historically Ryan has done all the planning and obviously it's easier to plan around what you know. This year was the first exception of an alternate plan and I was open to it, but the voting indicated keeping it here will make the most people happy.

If we want to have the Texas Viper Roundup every year and move from region to region, it's going to require involvement from the other regions for planning and budget. I'm game for moving around, but the hosting region would have to be up for it and shoulder most of the responsibility and the majority of the funding (as SC Texas has done in the past).

I appreciate everyone weighing and voicing concerns. If you want to keep this thread going, feel free; I'll check back periodically. If you have specific concerns that would be better-addressed through email rather than dragging this thing out, my email is [email protected] and I'll gladly do my best answer any questions you have. I hope to see you all Saturday for the Father Viper event, and I hope none of you are carrying because I don't want to die the day before my 30th.

F

FrgMstr

Rename it the Austin Viper Roundup, don't ask other regions for input, and move on. Problem solved.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rename it the Austin Viper Roundup, don't ask other regions for input, and move on. Problem solved.

It's this kind of problem-solving ability we need in the White House. PLEASE tell me you're U.S.-born and have a prior history of military service, cuz lemme tell ya...I have some PLANS for you in 2012!

If you have a personal gripe, please PM or email me. We're trying to reach conclusions in this thread, not stir the *** and ruffle feathers. If the event sounds that terrible, don't attend. Keep in mind that if you're a member of our region, your dues are helping to pay for the event so to fully enjoy your benefits you'd want to show up. Again, it's your decision. If you want to talk in person I'll be at the event Saturday.

OP
OP
T

TexasTonka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all members and President JT-

Yes I am upset the vote did not go in my favor, much like I am upset obama is in office, it is a vote, one wins, one loses.

I agreed to the vote on Friday night because, like Jason, I did not want to create a Round Up not welcomed by our members.

I reviewed the survey Friday night and sent in a few corrections.

It is just as much my fault the survey was not posted here as anyone’s.

By no means is this an attack on Jason; I personally think Jason is doing a phenomenal job as our region’s president and he did what he was elected to do, he listened to his constituents.

I did post to the board on Tuesday, after the vote, to instruct everyone who had bothered to look at my thread about the 2011 Round Up that things have changed, nothing more. When posts started getting heated I emailed this thread to Jason this morning for him to get involved, as I admit I am biased towards my ideas that were shot down.

I will be the first to admit I became a sore loser that the vote did not go in favor of the past few months of planning and discussing. I did agree to the vote being emailed so I will live with the results. I will attend the Round Up as I do every year and give it a shot. As I said in earlier posts these are alternative ideas from our normal format but it could be cool. I enjoy my car and everyone in the club no matter what we end up doing.

I extended my help with getting everything rearranged immediately after the results email was sent out.

While I don’t appreciate the outcome of the vote, I do commend Jason for listening to the majority, knowing no matter what he does he will get **** from someone.

We all know that no matter what we plan as a group not everyone will be happy, it just won’t happen.

For all Members to know:

The issue we have that I brought up last Friday night when approached with a vote format, immediately after suggested… “North won the vote.” There are more members in the north and who the heck wouldn’t want the event in their back yard. National has the same issue with VOI.

Jason is correct the last 4 events have been south of Austin. Two events were drives; these were started in San Marcos, TX a fair midway point between SA and Austin, at those two drives the outstanding majority of those who showed were from the south.
The third event was a tech day organized by an entirely different club that is located ONLY in San Antonio which LET the VCA join if they would like to. It was an invite to someone else’s party, not our own.
The fourth was the Christmas party and with over 30 members attending it was one of the biggest we have had to date (sad but true) and we gained quite a bit of money for the club as well that night.

But the subject of location means NOTHING if we are going on the assumption that the majority did not like the roads/mileage/events previously planned.
Yet it also strikes me funny that negative comments and complaints did not ever filter in until after the hotel plans changed from San Marcos to San Antonio.
I know you don’t want these posts to rip apart the group, but actions speak louder than words here. I wonder if the round up events stayed the same yet we had the hotel still in Austin would this thread even exist?

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I appreciate the comments, Kurt. This post shall be shorter (for once)!

I've done my best to completely remove my own personal bias from any decisions, and even when I asked other members for their input before suggesting the alternative, I asked them to give me answers based on both their own personal sentiments and their inclination to what others would say.

Kurt is right about the events. I won't argue any of those points. The thing I wanted to point out was that when email communications hit members and none of them say "Austin" for 4 months at a time, they may scratch their heads. They may read between the lines or inquire, but if they just take it at face value they'll see "VCA event = not Austin" which was a concern to me. I want to be sure that things are diversified as much as possible so everyone gets a fair shake.

I don't think the "back yard" comment is entirely true. Based on reverse IP lookup, people from both cities voted for the other, and the outer regions voted for both cities as well. Based on that knowledge I'd deduct that people gravitated towards the activities they'd prefer, regardless of location, but I'm speculating without asking voters explicitly.

As Kurt and I have discussed, to prevent this in the future we just need to send a comment card with everyone and be done with it. No more guessing; just facts.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anyone else has any further questions, please email or PM me.

This thread has turned into a courtroom full of everyone arguing their cases before a jury that by large probably doesn't care. It's an internal gripe that has snowballed in a public forum when it should have been handled between the handful of people that needed to hash it out. Everyone has valid points but I don't believe this is how we resolve the issue; by pleading with the masses to see our side when the resolution has to come from within.

Again, if there are specific concerns come see me Saturday at the event or shoot me a message.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,

Please stop taking/making this so personal - it is not. My main gripe (I will not speak for others) is that the event was handed over to others to plan. Every minute detail would not be brought to your (or public) attention until it was set in stone. Like personal contributions from members; until they are finalized it would not be made known.

The track was a done deal, it was simply a dollar amount that had to be paid. That is just one example.

No one is at the point of violence or has even considered it. Why would any of us consider such an element. Please let's maintain focus - even though this is not going a particular way for anyone. We are all trying to voice our opinions and find some form of consolation in it all. After all there is always next year & if the planning for this event came this far it will be easy to get it to this point very quickly next year.

Folks are not mad (myself), simply let down and frustrated with all the lost efforts. Most of us alpha males do not set out to fail at a task which is what this feels like to some of us.

We all know each other, we are all still friends. We CAN disagree with each other. Lets not attack each other personally or otherwise.

Semper Fi!

PS - just noticed you & I were typing at the same time.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Well, enjoy the movies ladies. I'm gonna drive my car that weekend.:2tu:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As noted in my other post: Irregardless what we do and where we do it...it will simply be cool to see everyone again and hang out. I have pretty simple expectations :)

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to that I sent Greg (Dallas VCA president) and Ivan (Houston VCA president) emails with the link to the survey, asking them to forward it to their members so they could weigh in.

QUOTE]

Okay Jason,
This answered my question. So that everyone knows, the survey was not passed on to the members in the Houston area. The event is being put on by the South Central Group and I see you were trying to gather opinions from members even outside of your region to determine format. I have respect for the attempt.

Issues with the timeline and wishing the San Antonio activities were planned aside, my biggest concern was that members from other regions had a chance to vote on the format when in my region (Houston's case) individual members did not get the oppurtunity. It skewed the results. I wouldn't have cared if the South Central Region made plans and just forwarded them out to the rest of us or if the regions in Texas coordinated from the start to share the costs as well as the planning from the start. Either executive decision or committee from the start.

I hope the round up is fun and eventful. For the record I am still on the fence since I enjoyed the company the last few years and I know several Houston folks who are going.

B & R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are still on the fence as to whether we attend or not - gonna take some soul searching to see if we're up for a drive in movie (?) or a scavenger hunt in a city we don't know (Aggies don't go there unless forced!!)

Smokin' 2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are still on the fence as to whether we attend or not - gonna take some soul searching to see if we're up for a drive in movie (?) or a scavenger hunt in a city we don't know (Aggies don't go there unless forced!!)

We could always retire early to the hotel bar. :) Or hit MSR with Misty's group that weekend. I'll hit you two up offline.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to be some misinformation and a lot of complaining going on here. I'll put all the facts on the table and if you still have gripes feel free to voice them.
• The few people I talked to didn't like the idea of the drive. For one, it was too long; we've had shorter drives in the past and people have expressed they wanted it cut down. In addition to the sheer length of the drive, these are other observations I've heard about Twisted Sisters:
- limestone cliffs on either side of the road, some with no guardrail
- limestone deposits on the road
- no shoulder
- no cell reception
That sounded complicated/dangerous to me.

There's more to living than talking/texting on a cell phone. There are few things in life better than driving a Viper on the Texas roads that were suggested. I had nothing to do with the planning, but I do agree that splitting the cars into 4 run groups would be wise. Having a Gen 1 trying to follow a Gen 4 ACR down a twisty road isn't always the best idea.

Austin is not the center of the world - except for 140 days every other year.

Texas 97 GTS B/W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being new to the VCA and the budgets used for this roundup I see why it is not being held up North.

Fellow Houston and Dallas members, when we all meet in April I feel it would be appropriate to have a discovery session whether or not you want to foot the bill with your region's budget to hold the roundup in your region next year. I would hope some of the officers will make the trip to Austin and so as Father Viper said today "it can usually be hashed out over beer or martiniis!! Gotta love that guy!

As far as the format of the days we spend together, everyone has the ability to do something else during a particular event. My wife and I did something different last year for one of the events as I'm sure others have done in the past and will do in the future. Ultimately, we all see each other over the whole event at one time or another. That is what counts.

Thank you to both camps who put their proposals together. It is not an easy task and a tough pill to swallow when yours is not chosen. I take from this the dedication our region's members show to make our event cool for everyone.

Now I'm going to put my newly autographed MAISTO GTS in my Viper shrine.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just to be clear again: The drive-in movie is something that is planned in addition to anything else. It's an opportunity to extend the day past dinner (when it normally ends) and for people to sit around, B.S. and enjoy the movie if they choose. It was discussed that we'd have the silent auction at this time, hand out prizes from the previous day's activities and have short presentations by the event sponsors. The Roundup is just as much a social activity as it is a driving activity, and I know when I attend events it's 90% for hanging with my friends and 10% for the driving, as I can drive on my own any time.

As far as the scavenger hunt goes, I have my own version planned. The last thing I want is a bunch of cars crammed in on crowded Austin streets, risking damage and contributing to an overall frustrating experience. The general idea would be to divide the group into teams and provide each team with 100-150 clues to complete in ~3 hours. Any location-specific "clue" will be planned out well in advance and scouted for possible pitfalls, and any clue is also optional as the sheer volume will only allow for a set number to be answered in the timeframe. Questions will be poised in such a way that they're fairly open-ended so that you don't have to know the area to have an advantage. Clues or questions that are more specific will be common enough to be found with 10 seconds and a smartphone with internet access. As an example, instead of saying "take a picture of your car with a State Trooper and with the capital in the background" we'd say "take a picture of a State Trooper sitting in your car" and possibly offer bonus points if you get the capital in the background. Because the participants don't get to pick the teams, we're planning on throwing at least 1-2 "locals" on each team so if there are any questions about the region each team has the same advantage. These are broad brush strokes but should hopefully quell any reservations you had about the event. Feel free to PM, email or post if you have further questions.

There's more to living than talking/texting on a cell phone. There are few things in life better than driving a Viper on the Texas roads that were suggested. I had nothing to do with the planning, but I do agree that splitting the cars into 4 run groups would be wise. Having a Gen 1 trying to follow a Gen 4 ACR down a twisty road isn't always the best idea.

Austin is not the center of the world - except for 140 days every other year.

The reason cell coverage is listed is for safety purposes, not for entertainment; the last thing we need is someone updating their Facebook while driving down an unfamiliar road in a performance car. If someone in the first run group had a problem and had no way of getting a hold of the second run group driving down the road behind them in a "spirited" manner, it could be disastrous. Additionally, if someone had a flat or mechanical problem and needed a tow, it would make it difficult to get someone out there to assist. Other communication methods have been proposed (2-way radios, carrier pigeon or satellite phones) but the cell reception was listed for the reasons mentioned above.

F

FrgMstr

I'd be up for joining them on Sunday:headbang:, we can get all the San Antonio guys to join as well... Have about 7-10 Vipers out there with the Sol group?:usa:

PM me and I'll try and get the word out.:2tu:

PM sent...finally.

Texas1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow??? I've been absent for a while. Missed all the excitement. I did not realize the event dates had changed until today. Hopefully I can make next years round-up wherever it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang