285 tire

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to put on a OE wheel and have it permanant in the trunk as a full size spare, only used in emergencys. Its no doubt bad practice to have a 285 on one side and a 275 (current tires) on the other, if I had a front puncture. But its got to better than the space saver and pottering along at only 40mph

I've spotted a cheap brand new 285 hence the question.
What do you reckon ?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think having a real spare would be better enough that it'd cancel out any concerns I would have mixing 2 front tire widths (and only 10 mm at that) The bigger issue, IMO, is likely a small difference in rolling diameter - i.e. it may likely pull to the left or right.... I'd figure the difference in rolling diameter and see if it's a large amount.

OP
OP
N

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had a rear puncture it would hopefully travel a bit faster than 40 mph,
only ever had the skinny on once on the rear, for 10 miles down country lanes and it was painful.

I would like to think it would be OK'ish at a higher speed, and not suffer to much pull/wandering across the road, but maybe I'm a dreamer. I may end up buying a full cost 275

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know how wide a tire will fit on a stock 2000 gts rim? Front and back, car lowered 1 inch?
Thanks

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil,
When the time comes, install 285's on the front as your new replacement tires. They fit just fine. It dose help a bit on the track.

#54gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run 295 on my 18" Fogelines some run 305's it will grip better on the track but if you go bigger then 285" you will notice a bulgy tire, It will bulge out of your rim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21