3:55 gears

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of you with 3:55 gears, what do you think? Is that in the top 5 mods to do to your snake?

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a definite improvement that you can easily feel in the car. The stock 3.07 gears make both 5th and 6th overdrive gears, only really useful for getting better gas mileage on the freeway.

For me, the slight hit in gas mileage and having to shift more in town were easy trades for the feeling that you were always on the meat of your powerband in any gear.

My only suggestion is that if you are planning to mod your Viper past 600HP anytime soon, that you go with a more intermediate ratio like 3.35, as the combination of TONS of HP and TQ combined with 3.55 gears means a lot of tire spinning at low speeds on street tires.

Bratatatat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the 3:55's and would recommend anyone who only wants a few mods (filters, headers, exhaust, etc) to put 3:55's on the list. And, Snakester is right on the money ... a slight hit in gas mileage and a bit more shifting, but definite improvements in the feel/responsiveness to the car.

All the best!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great mod. I use high gears that I never used and it did nothing to inhibit my track performance, just a little time to get used ot the change in shifts and when. the take off power is like night and day.

AC

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
#1 bang for buck mod. Bar none.

I hope you'll call to discuss our fully installed option, tax free, in your backyard ! Thanks

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
#1 bang for buck mod. Bar none.

I hope you'll call to discuss our fully installed option, tax free, in your backyard ! Thanks

What??? You'll fly to Toronto to put 3:55's in my car.

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
93Cobra,

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I think we've answered your initial question with a definite YES. I'd like to expand on your question now because I've had this on my mind as well and I think I need a project while my Viper rots in the garage during the winter.

When i moved from a 3.23 to a 3.73 Auburn limited slip rear end gear in my solid axle Mustang I just had local performance shop do it since I had no experience getting my hands that dirty. Well I still don't want to get my hands that dirty sooo...

What I'm wondering is:

If I want to do this mod and money isn't a big deal should I just buy a new differential with 3.45 or 3.55 gears in it? I'd like to keep the stock differential around for a few reasons and I think its a mod that i have the technical capability of doing as long as I don't have to get inside the gearing.

If I buy one or upgrade to a Quaife differential, how easy easy is this to install? I have a 4 post lift, a decent set of tools, and a full set of shop manuals. Is there much more involved than disconnecting the input driveshaft and the half-shafts? or is this a Class 5 can of worms?

Also a side question, are stock Viper input driveshafts balanced?

Thanks

sn8kbyt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A must do mod! Chuck just put them in about a month ago and it feels like a totally different car. 3rd gear will now bring you from 70 to 110 in no time! You will pull away from traffic as if they were standing still. I did the gears in combination with Jesel rockers and the Hurst short throw kit. Go for it!

C.B F/E 2002

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed that everyone who responded to this thread has a GEN2. I have a GEN1. The GEN 1 has a lot more torque than a GEN2.(and yes that is fact you can ask Chuck Tator if you don't believe me)......So my question is.....How do you guys feel about his mod in a GEN1? I honestly have trouble with traction now..with the few mods i have made....how are 3.55's going to help me with that????

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I want to do this mod and money isn't a big deal should I just buy a new differential with 3.45 or 3.55 gears in it? I'd like to keep the stock differential around for a few reasons and I think its a mod that i have the technical capability of doing as long as I don't have to get inside the gearing.

I bought the 3:45 complete differential from Unitrax. Had the 3:33 been available at the time, I likely would have gone that way. I have been overall very pleased with the mod. There are tradeoffs. From 120 or so -150 feels faster with the 3:07 still in 4th at a 1:1 ratio as opposed to a .74 ratio with the 3:45. How often does that occur?-----not often enough to warrant keeping it stock. We installed the rear end start to finish in just over 2 hours with a rack and air tools. Wasn't hard at all. I definitely like having the whole 3:07 assembly sitting in the basement as a complete unit.

To me, the gears and light flywheel were the biggest SOTP feel. The headers-------well they just make it sound like it should.

Steve

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never driven a blown big-hp Viper, but for my bolt-on car with sticky tires I would never go back. The car is geared like it should have been from the factory at 3.55.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 620 RWHP with 3.55s...I have learned to drive the car with them and will never go back to 3.07s again...AL...

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rightfully, no one has claimed that swapping gear ratios improves performance. 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are no different. While the driver with the mod will pull the unmodded car slightly in the same gear, any gains are lost when he has to shift into the next gear while unmodded car keeps on accelerating in the lower gear.

I'd call it a poser mod. :p

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rightfully, no one has claimed that swapping gear ratios improves performance. 0-60 and 1/4 miles times are no different. While the driver with the mod will pull the unmodded car slightly in the same gear, any gains are lost when he has to shift into the next gear while unmodded car keeps on accelerating in the lower gear.

I absolutely 100% disagree. We had a big discussion about this a couple of weeks ago.

Link to Gear Post

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely 100% disagree. We had a big discussion about this a couple of weeks ago.

The most objective info that I read on this was an actual time/distance/speed chart that compared the two setups with no difference was found between the performance of the two ratios in question (stock versus 3.55.) I believe that there was at least one other ratio tested. Since the amount of power made by each car and the weight of each car is not altered, it makes intuitive sense that there should be no difference between the two overall, albeit each car would be expected to ahead of the other when peak power is made in a given gear.

I read the linked thread. It looks like the debate was pretty even between real world advantage or not. The only striking claim was yours:

Given my hook-up, without any doubt my car is at least a full second quicker to 60 mph with the short gears.....
:rolleyes:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the amount of power made by each car and the weight of each car is not altered, it makes intuitive sense that there should be no difference between the two overall, albeit each car would be expected to ahead of the other when peak power is made in a given gear.
Then why do race teams of all kinds work so ******* calculating then testing the proper gears? Because unless you are a drag racer with a high-stall convertor or a slipper clutch the gearing is what positions your power band. Take your thought that there is a point in each gear at the peak of the power band where that car will be faster. The shorter gears allow this to happen earlier and potentially more often. Anecdotally, my car is much easier to launch and WAY faster to 60 with short gears.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Personally, I love the 3.73's but 3.55 are not much different.

Be sure to put Kuhmos on if possible.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then why do race teams of all kinds work so ******* calculating then testing the proper gears? Because unless you are a drag racer with a high-stall convertor or a slipper clutch the gearing is what positions your power band. Take your thought that there is a point in each gear at the peak of the power band where that car will be faster. The shorter gears allow this to happen earlier and potentially more often.

There is always ideal gearing for a particular track on a particular day at a particular altitude, temperature and humidity for a particular car. I am talking about overall performance. Shorter gears may let you reach your powband faster, but he trade of is less time spent in that powerband. While you are shifting into third with your short gears, I am still pulling in second gear, now who has the advantage at that point in time? The only way to ideally gear a car all the time is with a continously variable transmission, which would allow the engine to stay in the ideal powerband at almost all speeds.

HARDVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I blew a hole in my rear housing with the 3:55's. Had to go back to stock. Most likely from the Supercharger :curse:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc