5 pt harness for 98 rt/10

cosborn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I need to get a 5 point harness for my 98 rt/10. I found a bunch
on the web, and even read the install instructions on the viperclub.org site, although those were for a Gen 1 car. I was wondering what belts/sizes are used in the 98, how the are mounted and if there are any installation differences. Also, know anybody in Southern Cal that might be able to do the install if I don't have the time(or am a bit worried about trusting myself with harnesses).

I'll also be using the car for "normal" driving, so I am guessing the Cam lock style belts would be better.

Thanks,

Chris

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris, the install in a 98 RT/10 should be the same as a GTS of the same year. We have installed Team Tech 5 point harness in both of our 96 coupes. They are much better that any other harnesses that we could find, including Simpson and Schroth. Contact Jon B at the parts rack - he has a special on the Team Tech's.

We wrote a set of detailed install instructions based upon installs in 2 96 and one 97 coupes. We have provided these to a number of other people - we can email them to you if you would like. We have provided them to Jon B and I believe that he sends them out with the belts.

I hope that this helps. Feel free to email me if you would like further info on why I believe the Team Tech's to be the best...

Reaction score
Chris, Jon B is a good source for information and product. Jon B. uses Team Tech in his Viper so i am sure he feels the product is good. And I do like Jon. But when it comes to restraints; I'll go with what Mika, Michael, and Juan use. If you want to see my set-up (Schroth 5 point) the car is in Torrace at Bondio Fab. bondiofab.com is the Web site. Give Andy Bondio a call or Dan Cragin if you want to have restraints (any brand you like)installed.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After heavy use, my Shroth belts plastic adjusters cracked and the stitching frayed. The belts detriorated faster and faded badly in the RT, but that is to be expected.

I switched to TeamTech this season after wearing them in Janni Cone's car at VOI-6.

PartsRack continues to have a special price on them. The TeamTech owner is actually making special eyebolt bushings for Vipers at no extra cost......he also makes a harness to fit YOU if you have a ex-small or ex-large body size. Great, SAFE product.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've owned a lot of different race seat belts over the years. If they were FIA certified, the next factor I looked at was price. In 1995 I had a set of Simpson belts in my Corvette. After winning Sebring and the Grand Prix of Long Beach Supercar races, I had a package arrive for me at Lime Rock from Schroth. They sent me a set of belts (free) and said if I liked them to just put a decal on the car.
Those were the best belts I ever had. They were durable (unlike Jon B., I had no problems with the plastic appearance covers over the adjusters or any fraying problems), comfortable, easier to adjust than others, had a nice latching mechanism and were very safe. Like Fred had said in his post, the F1 guys are using them, and their safety standards are very high.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cosborn:
...and even read the install instructions on the viperclub.org site, although those were for a Gen 1 car. I was wondering what belts/sizes are used in the 98, how the are mounted and if there are any installation differences.
Thanks,

Chris

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Notable differences between the Gen1 and Gen2 roadsters for harness installation:

1) For the anti-sub belt, you must probe around with a pick and locate the eye bolt insert. Then you have to trim the carpet and insulation to install it. This insert is 6" outboard of the front, inside seat bolt and on the frontside of the "****." It angles up at approximately 45 degrees.

2) You will have to disconnect the wire from the security system key switch in the cubby box below the speaker. You will need a small hook (fashioned from a paper clip) to release the wire's retainer clip.

3) You will have to grind out the fiberglass under the dimples on the little shelf behind the seat to gain access to the shoulder harness bolt inserts. A 90 degree die grinder works great for this, but a straight one does OK. Before you screw the bolts in, dig around the inserts and clear the threads of adhesive or you'll have heLL screwing them in.

4) Gen1 seats are different from Gen2s. Gen1s require the removal of the lower seat cushion to access the mounting bolts.

Good luck!

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After many track hours with Deist, Sabelt and Simpson (Schroth made a 4 point belt that is infamous at Watkins Glen for design failure and many people don't forget that...so I don't even consider them) ...nothing comes close to the Team Techs in my opinion because:

the extra hip/waste and sternum padding
easiest to adjust
can pull UP on the lap belt
comes in cool colors (I got black & silver to match ACR)
SFI 16.1 no bs
and what sealed the deal was when JonB mentioned that the camber lock is on the sub belt so the whole thing can go under the seat instead of digging in my leg when I'm not using it....SOLD!!!...Excellent!!!...The most comfortable belts I've ever used and MADE IN AMERICA!!!
http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/

Reaction score
Team Tech seems to have good customer reports. Jon B. is also concerned about safety as am I. I chose the Schroth 5 point race restraints because they are used in the most demanding race series F1. Sean Roe also used and likes Schroth. It would seem there are a couple good choices. I happen to be influenced by Michael, Mika Juan and company of F1 racing. Whatever you buy, be sure to get a set for the passenger.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One item not mentioned is belt width. One concern on the Schroths are they are often European width ( narrow ). Many US sanctioning bodies require a wide belt as they disperse the shock over a broader area and US racers have a significantly lower rate of organ damage in accidents than those on the European continent - thin belts dig in. The Team Tech belt is very well thought of in many circles, and Dan Cragin will do a good job installing any type of belts for you. Another good source, for a good system, is Snake Oyl products. They have a wide belt with a nice cam lock system with a Viper logo. Their number is 608-849-9878, and tell them you are a VCA member to get a discounted price.

Reaction score
I want you to be as safe as possible. That is why driving schools are encouraged. With the MOMO recall I started looking for a replacement system. In my opinion when it comes to racing restraints one of the best in the world is Schroth. Go to their web site and look at their products. http://schroth.com/english/e2.html
As far as the narrow belt comment by Bill P. FIA uses 3" shoulder and 2" lap belts. The reason for the 2" lap belt is that it allows the belt to fit in the pelvic bone curve when the seat is in an upright position. The theory is that less submarine and tissue damage because the belt is against the bone. With the wider belt one would think forces are spread over 3" rather than 2", logic would say the 3" is better. But that may not be the case. From Schroth you can buy 2" or 3" pull-up or pull-down, etc etc. many configurations for specific applications.

OP
OP
C

cosborn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I am going with the Team Tech harnesses. They looked the most comfortable. Amazing the
help you can get in these forums!!

Chris

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the Schroth belts in my 2000 GTS and they are the BEST! I had Simpsons in my 97 and was not impressed. www.supersonicracing.com sells them at great prices. I looked at the Team Tech belts and you don't see them in race cars, maybe there is a good reason. The buckles and eveything about the Schroth belts are first class! Dan Cragin at Santa Monica Dodge will gladly service your car. He is truely a great asset to the Viper Club.

Reaction score
Most tires get you to your destination! I try to buy the best. What restraint supplier pays $5,000.00 for the team to use their belt? Everyone makes choices based on their bias. I like safety and the best product for the job. Some like appearance, some like style, some like fit some like technology. From what I have been able to determine Schroth is the best.

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on my new Team Techs this weekend. Henry & Janni's instructions are right on the mark. I had a few minor problems, but none of them came from the instructions or patterns.

1. The screw holes used on the patterns for locating are in different places on my car. Use the edges to locate, and you will have no problems.

2. The passenger side sub-belt mounting hole was not threaded properly, and the threads had to be recut. This is really hard to do unless you wrap the tap in scotch tape. If you do not, the tap will wrap itself in carpet threads real fast. This tip will save your sanity (and hours) if the threads are not correct.

3. I made my bushings from a piece of 1/2 inch dia. SS tubing. I used the big rubber washers over them, and it worked perfectly. Of course you must debur after cutting or they won't fit over those big eyebolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187