97 GTS Intake gaskets

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am taking my GTS in for service to have the frame recall performed. Will the dealership replace my intake manifold gaskets if the car is currently under waranty or does the manifold have to be leaking? I know the gaskets are original so its just a matter of time before they go out. Any other items I should look to fix under waranty? I currently have 21k miles on it.

Thanks

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
May depend on your Viper's build date... if yours is not within the build dates listed below by JonB, and is not leaking, dealer MAY NOT try to cover.

From a post a couple of years back:

"Re: Intake Gasket Failure? Advice Needed...
#68989 - 11/24/01 03:36 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JimDavis MT 97GTS 650R:
Many 96 & some 97 Vipers had defective intake manifold gaskets.
------------------------------------------------------------

ANSWER FROM JonB:
Correction....... NO 1996s had a TSB covering I/M gaskets. Very few failed, in fact. Beginning w/ MY 1997 Motors, and thru 11/18/1997 only, the gaskets were failing due to improper construction, and waterproofing. They Failed faster in wet/humid climates or on frequently-washed cars. CAAP began using the new gaskets on 11/19/97 and the TSB recommended a retrofit, even without symptoms.

The gasket failure causes a LEAN ssituation, which the PCM/ECU tries to corrcet by adding fuel. Cats can overheat bigtime. But as Wood-man sez...I have also seen this for other obscure reasons

JonB-PartsRack "

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has a built date of 10/11/97. I suspect the intake gaskets are leaking because everytime I drive the car, the idle seems to fluctuate. Maybe a sign??

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the gaskets themselves. I believe if they have an F on them they are the updated gaskets. My 11/97 GTS has them.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, mine has the originals im sure, there gray. I am going to try and get the waranty to cover for it.

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 97, you could see a wavy pattern in the gasket between ports. When replaced, the gasket was straight. Also, the fan went on my 97, and was replaced by the new design. The AC had continuous problems starting at around 40K miles. Also, the 02 sensors acted up early.

None of that mattered, cause I loved that car. :D

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did some work on my car and had to remove the intake. About 1/3 of the bolts were no more than hand tight.