98 RT Hardtop Headliner Question???

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, finally got a factory hardtop for my '98 RT and I love it! 90 degrees outside, cruising along with my new top on and A/C (and AC/DC) blasting.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks to Mike (99 RT10) and, of course, to Chuck, Rob and Rob, Jr for getting the top to fit correctly...and, yes, much harder than one would think! Add a little wetsanding (my forte), detailing and its as shiny as the rest of the car!

Now, with the top on I noticed that the headliner is sagging in places which I was told was originally glued to a foam interliner.

Two questions:
- Is there a particular glue to use to glue it back, assuming the foam interliner is still good?
- I am missing one of the push-in liner holders (not sure what you call them)..little round things that snap in. There's about 12 of them. Question: Is there anyplace I can get one of these, don't think Chuck had any.

Thanks!:2tu:

Last edited:

1932highboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my headliner replaced on my 1998 RT/10 for $50.00 at a car uposthery shop. i replaced all the plastic buttons from ones i bought at lowes.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really, at Lowes??? What did they look like and what department did they have them there?

Thanks.

1932highboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The plastic buttons looked OEM. There were with all the nuts and bolts in the those hundreds of drawers, section.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remove the headliner entirely and just paint the underside of the top with flat or semi-gloss black. The headliner weighs 4.80 lbs and while that may not seem like a lot when it comes to the awkwardness of installing and removing the top 5lbs makes a big difference. You never notice the inside of the top anyway. Stash the headliner in a corner if you are concerned with someday restoring to stock.

Also, when you do install the top lay a towel across the windshield frame while you position it to keep from scratching anything. And believe me, you WILL scratch the frame. The towel is also handy for when it rains so just keep it in the trunk.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, on taking the headliner out all-together, I really do try to keep the car stock wherever possible. The extra 4-5 lbs makes no difference to me and I figure it might provide a tiny bit more soundproofing.

I know that over time, the glue/foam dries out and the headliner starts falling. Just don't know if I can re-glue the headliner or if I have to take all the old foam out and replace. Seems like a PITA kinda job if I do...not sure I want to do that. Maybe I can get away with regluing to the old foam.

Has anyone replaced their headliner and, if so, is there a "how-to" thread on here?

Thanks.:2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the headliner has to be removed to glue it right anyway. Yes, theoretically it provides some noise buffering but I never noticed any difference and I haven't played my stereo in probably 10 years.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, turn it on and turn it up! Lol. But seriously, I prefer the inside of the top with the headlined, if I can manage to re-glue it. Its not so much that I listen to the radio, but I think it is quieter inside...I prefer to listen to my engine!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4