999 recall/what now!!!!!!

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just picked up the viper from the 999 recall and of course it's done wrong, the morons put it towards the oil filter side, has anyone approached (dumkoff-chrysler) regarding dealers screwing up as I checked on vca after the fact and noticed alot of dealers are screwing up the 999 recall, is there a phone #, anything where this can be straightened out or has someone had this screw up reversed and what did they do/who to approach. When I asked the dealer that did mine how do I get the oil filter off, it looks like the plates are on wrong all he said was, " if chrysler told me to rivet it to the valve cover that's where we'd put, we just go by what chrysler says"

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you need to tell your tech to read more carefully where they tell them to put it.Unfortunatly the shape of the brace is the exact shape of the frame angle under the filter.So in the eyes of a person that doesnt know better thats where they put it.I guess they are regressing back to there square block goes in square opening days.You need to make sure that they correct it and inspect the error site while it is on the lift to insure that they didnt just grind off and leave it hacked.More importantly make sure that they leave no bare metal spots.Tell them you want to look at it and not know that they screwed up.And i would also tell them to leave the sarcasm at home.And once they clean up there screw up keep on going.

OP
OP
F

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, apparently this dealer (MIDWAY CHRYSLER}, in Winnipeg, is the only authorized dealer allowed to do this work for the area, before I brought mine in the body shop manager stated that they had done 5 vipers previous to mine with no problems. When I picked up my car what made me check mine closely was that they had a gen 1 viper on the hoist and the plates were towards the rear of the car, and I noticed on a previos post that they should be to the front, that's when I thought to myself that the morons probably did my gen 2 wrong also, soooooo it looks like every viper that they have done so far is probably wrong.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are these techs thinking when they do this, and cover the access to the oil filter!!??
You would think they would scratch their head and go get the service manager and say hey looka here, this will block access to the filter, then the sevice manager or a light bulb comes on in tech's head... DUH!!! I'm so stupid.... let me try it a different way or call the DC dealer help line or something! Sheesh!
Hope you get it corrected satisfactorily! Keep us posted

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well mine was done wrong and what I found out was that the kit from DCX had mislabeld brackets. Therefore the dealer installed it the way it was labeled. The blame has to be mostly on DCX since they mislabeld the part. However, the dealer also has some responsibility in that common sense should have taken over when they placed the bracket on and it traps the oil filter. I've spoken to a lot of people at DCX from the zone manager to the "Executive" customer service and they won't provide any compensation. All they did was offer to set up an appointment to repair the damage. According to them a competent tech should be able to fill in the rivet holes with metal, grind them flush, repaint and it will be like it was never any different. I was extremely disapointed because of the lack of concern from DCX and unwillingness to provide any compensation for the damage. There must be some type of mandate from the Germans to shut down on any type of customer soothing policy.

I'm thinking class action lawsuit. It sounds like this is a common occurence. What does everyone think?

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Janni,
The only Gen 1 to call for the recall is the 96 RT/10.
Fortunately, mine was done correctly by an expert.
Later,

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
class action talk is silly. There are relatively few owners who have been adversely affected and it sounds like DC and the dealers have stated they will correct the mistakes. There is no legal basis for establishing a class.

Have you never made a mistake? Heck. I've even made STUPID mistakes before.

Glad I didn't get hit with a class action lawsuit!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I make sure that there was some anti-corrosive applied inside the frame box post welding up the incorrect holes. Should be feasible via a long tube.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm just amazed that there are multi-million $ "5 Star" dealerships that obviously does not have one person that views this VCA board. This mistake has been discussed here numerous times with clear photos of the correct and incorrect ways to do this recall. And this recall is still being done improperly! Un-freaking-believeable! How can these techs that are making these mistakes be ignornant to the fact that this recall is frequently being done incorrectly?

Solution? Easy. DC makes a video on how to do this correctly and shows what not to do. Have all the viper techs sign documentation that they have reviewed this. $50,000 Penalty inforced against dealership if recall is done wrong. $45,000 of that money goes to car owner as "consideration", as in, sorry for the f**k up. The other $5K goes to DC for expenses. These mistakes would disappear overnight if this was in effect.

OP
OP
F

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
who could I contact at chrysler that will actually assist me not give me the run around and not commit themselves to an anwser

Both Stacks Blowin'

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well spoken, Gerald. That would certainly focus their minds on the job to hand and if the screw up "Hit them where it hurts".

We have the same problem in the UK with members cars and are still awaiting Chrysley UK to sort it out.

Fearsuch, phone Chuck "The Viper Wizard" and have a talk to him.

Regards,

Pete. :( :( :(

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well mine was done wrong and what I found out was that the kit from DCX had mislabeld brackets. Therefore the dealer installed it the way it was labeled. The blame has to be mostly on DCX since they mislabeld the part. However, the dealer also has some responsibility in that common sense should have taken over when they placed the bracket on and it traps the oil filter. I've spoken to a lot of people at DCX from the zone manager to the "Executive" customer service and they won't provide any compensation. All they did was offer to set up an appointment to repair the damage. According to them a competent tech should be able to fill in the rivet holes with metal, grind them flush, repaint and it will be like it was never any different. I was extremely disapointed because of the lack of concern from DCX and unwillingness to provide any compensation for the damage. There must be some type of mandate from the Germans to shut down on any type of customer soothing policy.

I'm thinking class action lawsuit. It sounds like this is a common occurence. What does everyone think?

Just curious what dealer you got your recall done at in the Detroit area. I just got my Viper back from the recall last week and went on vacation the next day so I haven't had a chance to look at it. When I dropped it off I told the dealer of my concern with others having the bracket put on the wrong side and they said they were aware of it and that the parts were mislabeled. Hopefully mine turned out ok, I'll have to get it up in the air when I get back home.